Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
    The thing about the flu is it’s un-contained and world wide. Right now the coronavirus is half arsed isolated. With a death rate of 2% which is much higher that of the flu.
    Yup.

Folks saying the flu is way more dangerous are simply either misguided or ignorant. I supposed delusional might fit too. Just because it kills more people doesn't mean it is more deadly per case.

I'm not scared of CV yet but I am concerned. The newest CDC warnings are saying "when" not an "if" it causes "severe disruptions".

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
      effing china!!! I effing hate them, have for 20+ years. Call me racist call me what you want, but truth must be told...
      I have known and went to college with several,, they were some nasty @$$ MFrs.... Even a "doctor" I knew here in Dallas was no differenet....
      This is what a friend of mine from South Korea said.. that they hate when Chinese travel there because they just trash things and leave it crappy. The americanized ones I know aren't like that but I've definitely seen it. He showed me pictures where it looked like my 4 year old had gone through everyone's luggage, but was just the state they left it in.

Comment

The thing about the flu is it’s un-contained and world wide. Right now the coronavirus is half arsed isolated. With a death rate of 2% which is much higher that of the flu.
        I like to think of it as a survive-ability rate of 98%

Comment

We have had these type of things in the past that were predicted to be a serious health threat across the globe and they were never as bad as predicted. I tend to think a lot of the American media and media from other nations that aren't supporters of Trump are trying to massage the fear to effect the markets in a negative way to hurt the Trump economy.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Officials at the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention say spread of the coronavirus in the U.S. is not a question of "if," but "when."

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the CDC's director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases said the virus, called COVID-19, is "rapidly evolving and spreading" and that "successful containment at U.S. borders is becoming problematic."
            Word on the street is... she's the sister of former DOJ Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

I'b be curious to see their market short orders over the last couple weeks.

Comment

I'm taking this one seriously. With a calculated mortality rate of 2% (likely a little less do to under reporting of cases) and what appears to be a very strong transmission rate, I don't see how the virus can be contained even if we closed the borders. With transmission possible without symptoms, there's no way to contain. This is why China quarantined entire regions. But even quarantined boarders will not be able to contain the virus.

Closing US boarders should have happened weeks ago. But that has it's own mortality as well. It's an open question which would be worse. I had assumed that the mortality was due to the great universal healthcare that China has, but with the deaths in Italy, I've reevaluated that and wonder if the mortality rate is worse than reported. Countries have an incentive to overstate the cases in order to understate the mortality. This would mean the transmission rate is better than reported, unless it's not. I'm not wearing a mask everywhere yet, but I am starting to stock up on some thing in case we have to shelter in place for a few weeks.

I wonder if the army navy store has any bio suits...

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                I'm taking this one seriously. With a calculated mortality rate of 2% (likely a little less do to under reporting of cases) and what appears to be a very strong transmission rate, I don't see how the virus can be contained even if we closed the borders. With transmission possible without symptoms, there's no way to contain. This is why China quarantined entire regions. But even quarantined boarders will not be able to contain the virus.

Closing US boarders should have happened weeks ago. But that has it's own mortality as well. It's an open question which would be worse. I had assumed that the mortality was due to the great universal healthcare that China has, but with the deaths in Italy, I've reevaluated that and wonder if the mortality rate is worse than reported. Countries have an incentive to overstate the cases in order to understate the mortality. This would mean the transmission rate is better than reported, unless it's not. I'm not wearing a mask everywhere yet, but I am starting to stock up on some thing in case we have to shelter in place for a few weeks.

The most important thing is some sort of breathing apparatus. You cab get a P100 from most hardware stores (as of now).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

If this virus spreads like the flu (only easier) why fight trying to get it?

Would it be better to get it now? Or next year after it goes around again only maybe a different strain?

Flu shots (if I understand correctly) do not prevent one from getting the newer strains of the flu.

And would one become stronger against future strains if they get this first one?

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                    Having done several rounds of MOPP 3/4 for 36 hours +, I'll take my chances with corona.

Comment

First case here in the States but they won't say where... Hmmm

Comment

I heard today my cousin , his family and another couple coming home from a trip to Thailand is getting a 14 day stay in quarantine.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          Likely thousands of cases that have never been tested.

Comment

If this virus spreads like the flu (only easier) why fight trying to get it?

Would it be better to get it now? Or next year after it goes around again only maybe a different strain?

Flu shots (if I understand correctly) do not prevent one from getting the newer strains of the flu.

And would one become stronger against future strains if they get this first one?
                            Reports of people who have been reinfected have been much worse than the first time around.

Comment

I can't find anything on that?

Comment

It's on Washinton Post but I can only read the headline.

CV-19 stocks jumped up big afterhours and DOW/SPY dropped right after this came out. Thinking it's true.

But as Garguy said it's probably all over here anyway. And if not it will be soon enough.

Time to go hunting for 4-6 months

Comment

Working...
                                X