Help wiring a fan motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help wiring a fan motor

I am restoring a 1950s emerson northwind table top fan. Problem is i disasembled it years ago and just now got around to the restore. Im sure at the time of disassembly i thought id remember how all the wires connected.....not so much!

It is a multi speed fan motor. 3 wires of seemingly the same color come out of motor. Switch has 3 wires; red, blue, and black. 2 wire lamp cord.

I did some research and then tested resistance between motor wires to determine what was what. I labeled them A, B, and C. B is common. A is the line with a start run capacitor in it. C is the plain power line.

Testing continuity between switch wires as switch is moved to each position, i get continuity on...
    Blue to red
    Blue to black
    Red to black
    Then it repeats.

I know there were 4 wire nuts total because i saved them.

Can anybody tell me how to tie it all together?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

There should be a wiring diagram on the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
      There should be a wiring diagram on the motor.
      That would be nice but there is not. And i have had the thing entirely disassembled. It is 70 years old. Maybe that is why.

Comment

Ahhh I see good luck.

Comment

Maybe you coulf find an intact multi speed fan and see how its wired.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Maybe you coulf find an intact multi speed fan and see how its wired.
            Thats a good idea. Should be able to find a standard multi speed fan wiring diagram online. Why didnt i think of that? Was too busy trying to find one specific to this fan.

Comment

Alright that was pretty simple using a diagram i found online. Onto the next problem. On low it runs fine. On high, smoke comes out of motor. Not good. Likely causes? Would spray paint on the motor internals cause that? When i painted the housing, obviously some over spray went in the vent holes, or whatever they are in the housing. Id open the housing but i cant figure out how. I can also hear a slight electrical like popping noise when you switch it into high and when you switch it out of high to off.

Last edited by LeanMachine; 04-02-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

did it make any of those noises before you took it apart?

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                  did it make any of those noises before you took it apart?
                  It has been too long since i disassembled and i cant remember. I got the motor opened up today and didnt find any problems besides old wiring with crumbly insulation. I covered each wire in each shrink. No change. I replaced the wires and resoldered all connections. No change. On low it seems to operate just fine. On high it starts smoking within seconds and gets quite hot. I think the smoke is it burning off old varnish that coated some of the internals but it should not be getting hot. Im talking hot like it melted the new wiring to the coil in less than 10 or 20 seconds.

Any way for me to test and find what the issue is? Obviously it only affects the wire going to high side of the switch. Im considering we winding the whole thing myself. It would be time consuming but does not look difficult.

Comment

Does it require oil?

I may be mistaken, but the small brass tube coming out of the motor housing with the flare on it may be to add oil in. I know that some old ceiling fans are oil bath, I'd assume that some of the desk fans are as well.

You'll have to check with some small fan experts (maybe try these guys: http://www.afcaforum.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                      Does it require oil?

I may be mistaken, but the small brass tube coming out of the motor housing with the flare on it may be to add oil in. I know that some old ceiling fans are oil bath, I'd assume that some of the desk fans are as well.

You'll have to check with some small fan experts (maybe try these guys: http://www.afcaforum.com)
                      Yes it takes oil and yes you are correct about the brass spout. There is also an oil port on the front. There are no bearings. Just sleeves that are held to the housing by springs which allow the sleeves to move into position of least resistance. I have never seen that before. I wish lack of oil was the issue but im pretty sure the windings are burned up. I fussed with it all day and did more research. The forum you linked pops up frequently. Current plan is to rewind and rewire the motor. This project suddenly went from clean and paint to total overhaul requiring new skills be learned. But i guess isnt that the best part about working on stuff? What has me perplexed is the way it is wound does not appear that i can make a winding jig and then insert the windings. I cant see any way to wind it besides manually on the stator. Surely thats not how the manufactured it though. I will add pics and maybe you will see a solution that i do not.

Comment

Cool!

Keep us posted on your progress.

I have an old 60’s Kenmore desk fan that I’m wanting to restore. I have a suspicion that it may be in the same condition as yours. It presently does not turn very well. I’ve been putting off tinkering on it, because, like you, I never rewound a motor.

That will be a new skill for me as well (and I’m an electrician by trade). I’ve always sent motors out to a motor shop for rewinding. The most recent is the one on my air compressor a few years back.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                        X