X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remembers these old war posters!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/stan4231/war12_zpsu7dhn4q9.jpg[/IMG]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/stan4231/war13_zpscc4rw90u.jpg[/IMG]

I remember seeing a couple of those in an starter and generator repair shop in Cleburne when I was a child. The owner was a veteran of the South Pacific war. He also had others hanging on the walls.

In later years when Germany and Japan started importing cars to the US he wouldn't repair them. He only worked on American made autos.

Comment

Those are great!

That's when Americans got behind the war effort. We believed in what we were fighting for and were willing to sacrifice for it and we believed we had a real enemy and we wanted to defeat them. Now we talk about the enemy like they are the kid next door....we sure don't want to "offend" anyone.

Comment

Awesome post Stan and this ^^^^

Comment

Those are awesome. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Very awesome! from an era when patriotism meant something. Thanks for posting...

Comment

The government hired some of the best artists in the country to support the war effort - great artwork. That last one is from Norman Rockwell's "Four Freedoms" series - it's worth a Google search to see the other three.

Comment

The USA was a proud country then. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

These are awesome, I wish the support of civis still had this mindset

Comment

When we didn't apologize for being great.

Comment

Great posters Stan. 3rd one of paratrooper dead before he hit the ground really speaks to the courage and sacrifice of our soldiers.

I'm not understanding the message of "Careless Talk, got there first" though. Can someone splain it to me?

Comment

Awesome and yes, I'm old enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BigYoung View Post
                          I'm not understanding the message of "Careless Talk, got there first" though. Can someone splain it to me?
                          With such a large percentage of the population working in various parts of the war effort there was danger that people running their mouths to the wrong people would compromise military security. There was a perceived danger that someone you were chatting with at a bar could be a German spy. The "careless talk" slogan is similar to the more widely used "Loose lips sink ships"
                          Last edited by jerp; 05-02-2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

My Great Uncle had a few of those hanging on his walls to teach us what freedom cost
                            Thank you for posting
                            You brought back some good memories

Comment

Thanks for posting. Very important part of history.

Comment

Working...
                              X