Utah Elk Hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utah Elk Hunt.

Well I got talked into hunting Utah this year. Never been neither have the crew I am going with. We have settled on the South Slope. Anyone else have experience here? Not looking for a magic trick just some advice on what I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

Never been. You hunting elk? Good luck!

Comment

Oh I have been elk hunting plenty. Mostly Colorado. But never been to Utah.

Comment

Following! Just posted this in the elk thread...

Myself and 3 other guys just bought Utah OTC tags for this year. We are building points in other places but want to get hunting this year.
        Going in with a multi-year plan to learn an area- looks like the High Uintas this year and it will be rifle season with the next few years archery.
        Going to pack in for 5 days of hunting- really our expectation is to have a great camping trip and hunt hard- maybe bring a flyrod as well.
        Anyone have any tips on the Uintas? Like everyone, not looking for exact areas- just general knowledge if anyone has been there.
        We have been getting in shape since Feb, although the altitude worries me a bit. We will be there Wed before the Sat. start of season, so hopefully get a little acclimated.
        Any help is appreciated!

Comment

I know Russ did good years back in an area that used to be draw only and converted over to over-the-counter. He shot a 389inch bull up there. He may have some incite to search for on here.

Comment

Brother went for elk and bear. Pretty steep climbing from what he described and pics he took.

Gary

Comment

Was going to go to Colorado, but now have to go to Utah, end of August for other reasons. Thinking of staying a week and getting OTC done too, with a side a fly fishing.

Comment

I’ve hunted that area the last 2 years. Good luck it’s a tough hunt. I’d love to go back this year but me and the wife are doing exotic hunts this year. Be prepared for lots of thick forest so glassing is near impossible. And be prepared to walk through dead fall. It’s a beautiful area but tough to get away from everyone. I’m a professional bow hiker in Utah. Maybe one day I’ll graduate to elk hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys I knew yall would come through with some good info.

Comment

Myself and 2 friends hunted the south slope in October last year. It was any legal weapon hunt. We couldnt get in the bulls but found cows. We also stumbled upon several moose. If you pm me your number i can call and give you specifics.

Comment

I've been twice and my groups been 4 times since 2014.

Ashli National Forest at Pole Creek. Lots of elk and deer (I'd definitely apply for deer if I go back).

We've been on elk every year and shot several. Mostly cows.

We go around 18th of August. No bugling but we've figgered out some honey holes.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                        I've been twice and my groups been 4 times since 2014.

Ashli National Forest at Pole Creek. Lots of elk and deer (I'd definitely apply for deer if I go back).

We've been on elk every year and shot several. Mostly cows.

We go around 18th of August. No bugling but we've figgered out some honey holes.

How crowded does the area get for archery? We are looking at getting back in the wilderness 6-8 miles and setting up base camp if the snow isn't too bad (Oct) this year for rifle, but looking longer term at archery seasons moving forward.

Comment

I had a ranch up there for about 10 yrs, I also had 27 head of horses and mules so I have been all over that country.
                          During the rifle season if we got some weather I could set on my porch and watch the elk pour out of the high country
                          Attached Files

Comment

I lived there and have killed bulls. Only thing that sucks is archery ends prior to bulls really in the rut and then its draw rifle. I quit hunting utah and went to idaho. Still hot then so if hunting wasatch, runs east to west, hunt north slope and dark canyons/timber. Cow call.

Comment

Sorry, uintas run e to w not wasatch.

Comment

Working...
                              X