401k help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401k help

Reaching out, need some advise or even a financial planner to help. We are investing heavy into 401k and noticed we are in a money market fund hardly making anything. Would like to get more aggressive as we are in our mid 30s.

Mine is through Fidelity. If yours is too you can call and talk to someone to help you with your elections..

Comment

Fidelity handles all mine too. I was losing money doing it myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Most 401 type accounts have limited invested options in mutual funds. If you are willing to putt in time to track it it is not complicated with mutual funds. If you want to invest and forget it there should be someone that works for the company you are investing through that should be of some help

Comment

At least you identified the issue now. You should invest in an S&P 500 index fund on all new contributions or consider a target retirement fund (e.g. a 2050 fund) that will automatically balance equities and fixed income investments for you.

avoid the temptation to transfer ALL your current balance into the market at once. you could get burned if the market takes a dip. consider moving 10% a month into the S&P index fund each month for 10 months to average out your cost.

Comment

You're asking for help from guys that were heavy into Bitcoin......

hmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
              You're asking for help from guys that were heavy into Bitcoin......

hmmmmmm
              Painting with a broad brush. I invested in hookers, cocaine & bassboat...the rest I just blew on stupid ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Painting with a broad brush. I invested in hookers, cocaine & bassboat...the rest I just blew on stupid ****.
                lol...

I was just kidding BTW

Comment

You can explore what options you have by googling the fund. Look at the returns on all the accounts available to you and pick some with higher long term returns. Some funds have high short term returns but low 5 or 10 year returns. Look at life of the fund also. If a fund is consistently returning 8-12%, put your money there.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                    lol...

I was just kidding BTW
                    me too!

Comment

Look into low cost index funds if they are an option in your 401k.

Comment

Post up your investment options and let's take a look

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                          You can explore what options you have by googling the fund. Look at the returns on all the accounts available to you and pick some with higher long term returns. Some funds have high short term returns but low 5 or 10 year returns. Look at life of the fund also. If a fund is consistently returning 8-12%, put your money there.
                          That's like betting the roulette wheel by looking at the previous spins board.

Comment

Thanks Fellas, let me see if I can get a list of what options are. Return is currently .06% which I can do much better in anything!

Comment

I really enjoyed the book: Money, master the game by Tony Robbins. Very informative book and educates you on multiple aspects of investing. I highly recommend it. Gives great insight on how to invest in your 401K and what types of investments you should look for. At your age, you would do well by educating yourself. I listened to it in the truck driving to and from Louisiana with the wife and we both enjoyed it and learned a ton.
                              Last edited by WilliamL; 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X