No announcement yet.

Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have donated about $110 this year so far with another $10 planned for when they hopefully open the Big Horn Sheep draw. Applied for all mule deer, all pronghorn, a few gun deer either sex, and a few private lands deer hunts. Will also be putting in for some of the free e-postcard hunts when they open.

Comment

I’ve donated $122 over the past few days, might add a couple more

Comment

Originally posted by ThePecosBilly View Post
        . Don't understand where the negativity comes from.
        Because it's not exactly how some dude who puts in for a single hunt every year wants it with 100% draw odds (for him only of course) 100% success rates and within an hour of his home.

Oh yeah and you usually have to work really hard when you hunt public land too...

Comment

Looks like I'm at 65 hunts for $251, fingers crossed!

Comment

I’m feeling the call to donate some more to the big time Texas hunts tonight... I wanna take Doc’s spot as next years cover model

Comment

2016 -Applied for 3 hunts, selected for 0
              2017 - Applied for 4 hunts, 1 E-postcard selected for 0
              2018 - Applied for 0 Hunts, selected for 0
              2019 - Applied for 13 hunts

Obviously I can't complain about not being drawn since my application volume has been so low to-date. I'm only applying for hunts I know I can attend (with work and school schedules), and also nothing more than 5-6 hours away. Hoping to continue gaining points in categories and increasing the volume every year. Best of luck to all applying this year! "Someone's gotta win, might as well be you."

Comment

I put in close to $900 last year for everyone, and at the very last minute before the deadline, I included Aransas NWR, regrettably.

Guess what was the only hunt I was drawn for?

You're right, Aransas NWR, and that turned into an expensive 13 accumulative days after scouting, hunting, camper spot, travel expensive, and mosquito repellant.

Need some better luck this year

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                  I put in close to $900 last year for everyone, and at the very last minute before the deadline, I included Aransas NWR, regrettably.

Guess what was the only hunt I was drawn for?

You're right, Aransas NWR, and that turned into an expensive 13 accumulative days after scouting, hunting, camper spot, travel expensive, and mosquito repellant.

Need some better luck this year
                  I signed up for almost everything last year and was also only drawn for Aransas NWR. I researched and read every thread I could find and it just didn't seem worth the time and money. So I never paid and let someone else have it on the second drawing.

Made me realize that I need to be more selective and this year I only signed up for the things I really want lol. Better luck this year

Comment

im not knocking the system because i've never been drawn, because I have several times, im knocking it because the current system I don't think works very well, given the limited number of public hunting opportunities Texas has to offer compared to other states. I like many have put in for several this year, because that's how you have to play the game. being that public hunt ops are so limited now, the old system just seemed more fair. every year I hear about someone that draws 3-4 hunts with 0 points. congrats to them. Im just a fan of 1 app per category. draw odds for several of the hunts have plummeted under the new system. many have worse odds that nonresident draw odds in other states for bighorn sheep, moose and other high demand tags.

my fixes would be:

residents
                    1. limit number of apps to 1-3 for whitetail , 2 mule deer, 2 turkey categories, 1 for all others(they've already limited youth, which is weird. if anyone should have unlimited app ability, it should be youth.

2. since its all about money anyway, increase app fee maybe to $5-10. that would reduce everyone applying at will and increase draw odds.

3. square points like montana does for example. 1=1 chance, 3=9, 4=16, etc.

nonresidents(not that I think a tremendous amount apply)
                    1. since most states require a nonresident to front the money up front, why shouldn't texas do the same? $312 a pop

2. higher app fees- for comparison Wyoming resident deer is $42 with app fee of $5 where as a nonresident pays $374 for a deer license and $15 app fee.

3. there are many states that limit certain tags to residents only. I can think of certain high demand whitetail and antelope hunts that could fit this bill.

again that's just my take on it. I know there are people within tpwd that have similar thoughts. honestly I don't see anything changing any time soon. Wildlife mgmt. and hunter opportunity now of days falls second place to making $$$. with all that said, im feeling lucky that this is the year i'll draw the chap, a rita blanca antelope and a texas mule deer this year. lol

Comment

My only gripe with the system is that residents and non-residents pay the same price. Make it like Western states and jack the price up for non-residents if tpwd really wants it to be a money maker. I wouldn’t even care it draw odds stayed the same for res and non res as long as they pay more for entries.

Comment

We do pay a lot more to hunt. It happens when licenses are purchased. The low app fee
                        is to entice you to apply. If it was high, a lot of non residents would not.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
                          We do pay a lot more to hunt. It happens when licenses are purchased. The low app fee
                          is to entice you to apply. If it was high, a lot of non residents would not.
                          The license should definitely cost most. Just like it does if I hunt outside of Texas. But the app should also, just like it does when I apply in western states. If I was smart I would have bought a lifetime license when i was living in Nevada going to UNR but I was more prioritized with booze and sorority girls so $1k seemed like a lot of money at the time...

Non-residents of any state should always pay more than residents imo

Comment

It would be cool to see them structure it more like draws in other states. Do a first and second choice for each species instead of just applying for everything to up your odds. Then require a credit card to apply so they can charge it as soon as the draw is done. People are applying for hunts they have no intention of going to.

Comment

Just put in some for me and my son. Never done a draw hunt before

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                                im not knocking the system because i've never been drawn, because I have several times, im knocking it because the current system I don't think works very well, given the limited number of public hunting opportunities Texas has to offer compared to other states. I like many have put in for several this year, because that's how you have to play the game. being that public hunt ops are so limited now, the old system just seemed more fair. every year I hear about someone that draws 3-4 hunts with 0 points. congrats to them. Im just a fan of 1 app per category. draw odds for several of the hunts have plummeted under the new system. many have worse odds that nonresident draw odds in other states for bighorn sheep, moose and other high demand tags.

my fixes would be:

residents
                                1. limit number of apps to 1-3 for whitetail , 2 mule deer, 2 turkey categories, 1 for all others(they've already limited youth, which is weird. if anyone should have unlimited app ability, it should be youth.

2. since its all about money anyway, increase app fee maybe to $5-10. that would reduce everyone applying at will and increase draw odds.

3. square points like montana does for example. 1=1 chance, 3=9, 4=16, etc.

nonresidents(not that I think a tremendous amount apply)
                                1. since most states require a nonresident to front the money up front, why shouldn't texas do the same? $312 a pop

2. higher app fees- for comparison Wyoming resident deer is $42 with app fee of $5 where as a nonresident pays $374 for a deer license and $15 app fee.

3. there are many states that limit certain tags to residents only. I can think of certain high demand whitetail and antelope hunts that could fit this bill.

again that's just my take on it. I know there are people within tpwd that have similar thoughts. honestly I don't see anything changing any time soon. Wildlife mgmt. and hunter opportunity now of days falls second place to making $$$. with all that said, im feeling lucky that this is the year i'll draw the chap, a rita blanca antelope and a texas mule deer this year. lol
                                I too have been lucky to draw just a pale few hunts and couldn't agree more with the above.

Comment

Working...
                                X