Bay Boat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bay Boat Question

Opinions on cavitation plate on a bay boat with a tunnel hull and jack plate for better shallow take off and better water uptake into motor in shallow water ?

I’m pretty sure everybody is running one. Maybe not everyone, but it will help your performance out for sure.
    Last edited by panhandlehunter; 07-01-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Yessir. I run one.

Comment

Panhandle I appreciate it. Not a lot of info online but I sure want to have enough water uptake while running shallow. Thanks.

Comment

For those that run one any opinions on which. I found one that’s a Shawwing by stiffy pole. Any good?

Comment

Tran makes a very effective one. I've had good luck with their's but you do have to drill thru the motor's little cav plate to mount it. I have had good luck with Shallow Blaster and have had several. You don't have to drill thru your motor with those. The aluminum plate Boatright makes works pretty well and you don't have to drill thru your motor to mount it either.

I have not had a Shaw Wing but I have heard they work good.

Basically my opinion is run your boat w/o it and if you can hold good water pressure and your prop isn't blowing out without it then don't get one. If you lose water pressure as soon as you start lifting your jackplate and or your prop is blowing out then it may be needed. I see boats set up both with and without all the time.

Comment

Thank you Coastal. Great advice, I’ll run her and just see for now.

Comment

A good cavitation plate can only help or do little, it will never hurt.

I run the Boatright plate since I run a Boatright but there are other good ones.

Honestly a plate bolted through the cav plate is a better design, I have had to remove mine and re-install mine twice when it worked loose and started moving. Once it starts moving it starts wearing on the aluminum lower unit really fast.

Comment

Previous BB had a tunnel and hydraulic jack plate but no cavitation plate and hole shot was horrible, basically had to have jack plate all the way down. Added the shallow blaster cavitation plate and could take off no problem with jack plate all the way up. Current BB does not have a tunnel but does have a jack plate no cavitation plate. I can take off just fine with jack plate all the way up. I think more depends on the engineering of the hull. But if you have a cavitation problem I highly recommend the shallow blaster.

Comment

On my flounder boat which is flat bottom with a VENTED tunnel hull i put one on to eliminate the porpoising, which it did. Now it seems to hold the stern down in the water more and top speed went from 43 to 38 mph. Did not help my hole shot or running shallow but both were good before mounting it.
                    On my Shoalwater I don't run or need one

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                      On my flounder boat which is flat bottom with a VENTED tunnel hull i put one on to eliminate the porpoising, which it did. Now it seems to hold the stern down in the water more and top speed went from 43 to 38 mph. Did not help my hole shot or running shallow but both were good before mounting it.
                      On my Shoalwater I don't run or need one

Should be able to fix that with the trim

Comment

I don't run one on my Boatright.. my motor has low water pickup and the plate didn't help shallow water performance. The plate did help on my previous motor because it had regular water pick ups.. the prop is what gives you shallow water performance. By the time you are going fast enough for it to matter the tunnel should provide water for the prop.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Should be able to fix that with the trim
                          Please explain that one to me

Do you know how a vented tunnel works?, I didn't until I bought this hull a year ago

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                            Please explain that one to me

Do you know how a vented tunnel works?, I didn't until I bought this hull a year ago

Do you know how a vented tunnel works?, I didn't until I bought this hull a year ago[/QUOTE]

1. I miss read your post.

2. It still doesn’t make sense to me because a very large part of what a plate does is provide lift to the stern when trimmed down.

Whichever, it’s your boat and you know what it’s doing.

Comment

Working...
                            X