Mercury 60hp won’t go into reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury 60hp won’t go into reverse

Changed water impeller. Reinstalled lower unit. Now it seems I only have forward gear. No neutral or reverse.

Any ideas? I’m guessing I turned the lower unit shift shaft while working on it. I don’t know what to do next.

Easy to fix. Drop lower unit. Put shift control in neutral and put lower unit in neutral and put it back together. Google the lunch shift mechanism so you can see how it works to help you do it. Where are you located?

Comment

Paris Texas.

I assume you meant “lower shift mechanism” ??

Comment

You assume right. Dang spell check. The lower shift rod has a cam on the end that has 3 different notches in it that gives you Rev neutral and forward. But you can rotate it past those notches. Find a neutral position and turn the shafts just a little bit til you feel the next position. See what gear you have then barely turn the shaft, less that 1/4 turn. If you find that position with either forward or reverse then go back to neutral and then past it and see if you have another gear. If you go to far and get off the cam some of those lower can only be turned one direction to get back on the cam.
        Last edited by Walker; 02-23-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I agree with walker.

Make sure that your spline key is in place, too. A lot of people forget about it.

Comment

Which direction should I turn the lower unit shaft? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Comment

I couldn't tell you without putting my hands on it. Either way that will let you get up on the cam.

Comment

Thank you for your help sir.

Comment

By rotating the shift shaft, I can find forward and reverse but not neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
                    By rotating the shift shaft, I can find forward and reverse but not neutral.
                    Neutral is between the 2. Shouldn't have to turn the shaft but a tiny bit. How old is the motor?
                    Last edited by Walker; 02-23-2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

2005 60hp

Comment

To verify the lower unit is in neutral, I should rotate the drive shaft clockwise and not see the propeller turn, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
                          To verify the lower unit is in neutral, I should rotate the drive shaft clockwise and not see the propeller turn, correct?
                          Just turn the prop. Should turn freely both directions.

Comment

Ok thanks. Hopefully there’s a light at the end of the tunnel for me!!

Comment

Wish you were close to me. We'd fix you up in a couple minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X