China. What The Heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
    Realize. This is a pandemic...and has gone to epidemic. There are too many backdoors and this had been loose since late September 2019. Patient Zero...err somechit...in December is a nonstarter. I am wrestling with the fact that I will contract SARS-2 at some point. I cant figure if itll be a bad cold or a killer. The Whistleblower Chinese Doctor died 4 months after recognizing a new disease...and he was 34...ish? Was it continual inoculation of the virus that killed him. As far as Im concerned...SARS-2 s 100% effective.

Twice today...I heard NPR Hosts try to lead...scientists into terms of nonpandemic...and they (the scientists) all said pandemic. Its beyond that. IMO.

This is the new reality. Eso si que es.

At what point do I risk getting arrested for pulling my
    kids out of public school? I think the time is now.
    Yea this stuff is really starting to scare me.. All also believe we are pandemic stage..

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      I read, China stole it from Canada(virus), modified into a bio-warfare virus and it got out.

It seemed to me it was just propagating to fast to be a "natural" virus. Im sure by the time this is done, we will be astounded at the loss of life.

One more tidbit, who was China planning on using that virus on? Us?
      I told my wife this 3 weeks ago... I have also believed from the beginning that this was a man made disaster.. This stuff was made to wipe huge numbers from this planet rapidly.. Its working.. Now the question is can it be stopped!!!!!!!

Comment

This virus is not as deadly as the Flu. There are roughly 80k cases and estimated 3k deaths. No telling what the actual numbers are in China but look at the death rates outside of China. It’s is not a high percentage.

Comment

I was banking on the Chinese citizens lack of an immune system to be the main factor on how easy it was for the virus to spread in China but now with the spreading in South Korea and Iran, I’m starting to get a little more concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rcole1310 View Post
            I work for Gilead. We have a drug called Remdesivir that may work on COVID19 when combined with a malaria drug. We activated our outbreak response team last week and they’ve shipped enough doses to China to test in 500 people. Will run a 30 day trail and see what happens. They’ve ramped up production as well. The transmission rate is very similar to Flu but doesn’t seem to slow down in warm climates like the flu does. We are in for an interesting 6 mnths IMO. Just hope it doesn’t mutate fast enough to evade the vaccine or become more virulent.

That's good to know...I honestly don't know what to make of this.Sounds like all of the other,"end of the world flu's",to me...That never end the world..Probably thanks to you guys![emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              This virus is not as deadly as the Flu. There are roughly 80k cases and estimated 3k deaths. No telling what the actual numbers are in China but look at the death rates outside of China. It’s is not a high percentage.
              give it some time to work outside of China. 7 dead in Italy bugs me, but still a fairly small sample size. I will guess that it is not as bad as the Chinese rate, but going to be worse than flu.

many factors as work in these mortality rates. apparently it hit men way worse than women in China ... one likely reason I heard was that men smoke a lot more than women in China.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                I was banking on the Chinese citizens lack of an immune system to be the main factor on how easy it was for the virus to spread in China but now with the spreading in South Korea and Iran, I’m starting to get a little more concerned.

You and me both brother. Hadn’t been keeping up with it, Probably as much as I should have been. But it certainly has my attention now.

Comment

Coronavirus is small potatoes vs flue

According to the WHO and CDC its a continued concern but small vs the flu
                  And we have people on here that state “ I never get a flu vaccine ever “ just plan stupid

[So far, the new coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19, has led to more than 75,000 illnesses and 2,000 deaths, primarily in mainland China. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has already caused an estimated 26 million illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). U] [/U]

Y’all really should get a annual flu vaccine it 20x more deadly
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-25-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    And we have people on here that state “ I never get a flu vaccine ever “ just plan stupid

[So far, the new coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19, has led to more than 75,000 illnesses and 2,000 deaths, primarily in mainland China. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has already caused an estimated 26 million illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). U] [/U]

The flu is really two flu's this year with several strains of A and B going around, and some people getting it twice. The flu is worse at this point than the corona virus.

Comment

People with compromised respiratory systems are mostly the one's that have died. Many people have the virus but have very little as far as symptoms and some last less than a day. No doubt its highly contagious...I heard some epidemiologist estimate it will eventually go thru about 70% of the world's population by this time next year.

I decided to stock up on ibuprofen, OTC cold and flu medicine and bottled water. Might buy some more non-perishables as well.

With that being said, this isn't "Captain Tripp's" for any Stand fans out there, thankfully!
                      Last edited by kch73; 02-25-2020, 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

One danger is that a virus continues to mutate and that may be happening - for example
                        Hubei officials reported that a 70-year-old man developed symptoms 27 days after infection. This suggests the incubation period could be longer than the presumed 14 days and the virus may be mutating, which could make it harder to contain. They have also found that people who were thought to be over their infection for two weeks were still carrying traces of the virus.

Comment

Influenza is not a reportable disease so the CDC reports impacts as estimated numbers. (CDC LINK).

The estimates have a wide range (US estimates 2019-2020):
                          29,000,000 – 41,000,000 flu illnesses
                          13,000,000 – 19,000,000 flu medical visits
                          280,000 – 500,000 flu hospitalizations
                          16,000 – 41,000 flu deaths

Your point is well taken - the flu has killed thousands more people in this country than COVID19.

Tencent News, an online news portal that provide real-time tracking of official outbreak data, reported more than 213,000 confirmed new cases of Covid19 between Jan. 27-Feb. 1. Chinese authorities only claimed 14,380 confirmed infections. (Article LINK)

I think the best advice is don't freak out, but be aware of what is going on. Be sure to wash your hands with soap multiple times a day and especially before touching your face and before eating.

Comment

We have already purchased masks for the family. And are going to go pick up food, waters, medicines, toiletries and so forth and stow away in our closet. Month supply of basic necessities. Not because we expect total black plague conditions...but because we expect major media hype resulting in panic purchasing and empty shelves as soon as the first U.S. cases start popping up. (as is what is happening abroad already).

Comment

COVID-19 mortality rate: 2,000 / 75,000 = 2.67%
                              Influenza mortality rate: 14,000 / 26,000,000 = 0.05%

So COVID-19 is 53.4 times more deadly, using the numbers you cited, which may or may not be anywhere close to being accurate numbers.

Still only 2.67% mortality rate though, so 97.33% of folks who get it don't die. And 99.95% of people who get the flu don't die.

Comment

World maps of the Coronavirus show Mexico, Africa, and South/Central America with zero cases. This has to be wrong. Mexico is a third world country and will swamp our border looking for healthcare when this virus gets loose there.

If you haven’t already put up supplies for an extended stay indoors then it’s time to get cracking. Do you really want to go grocery shopping, exposing yourself and ultimately your family, if you don’t have to? Our “Just in Time” supply chain means shelves will empty rapidly once a run starts and restocking will be sketchy. It could happen suddenly if Coronavirus gets loose here. Better to be prepared than not.

Comment

Working...
                                X