Ar hunting pistol which caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ar hunting pistol which caliber?

Looking to build ar pistol but cant decide on which caliber. Realistcally not planning on shooting pass 300 yards.

If you are planning on shooting deer size game, 6.5 Grendel is an awesome round. My 12.5" SBR's are my go to.

Comment

I've been using a 12.5 in 300 BO with subsonic rounds. Easy on the ears and everything dies. Not sure that would be a great round for 300 yards.

Comment

Black out burns its powder in 9" so it works well in short barrels but 300yds would be a long shot with a ton of drop.

Comment

300 yards is a long ways for a pistol. About the only one would be the grendel that could do it but man your hurting your speed alot with that. Ive got an 18" and the accuracy node is at 2350 fps. Factory ammo is at 2490. you would be down in the 2250/2300 range with factory maybe and a 300 yard shot on a deer may be a bit much then.

Comment

I have a 6.5 Grendel 12" SBR that has no problem doing 300. For a shorty, and distance, I think it's about as good as it gets in a small frame AR. Killed plenty of pigs with it, so deer won't be an issue either.

Comment

Yeah 6.5 seems to be the ideal canidate. I have 300bo but in 16" upper.

Comment

Another Grendel vote

Comment

450 bushmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The 6.8 SPC was designed for use in short barrels for close quarter firearms. My pistol is a .223 but that’s only because I bought it used at a good price. If I were going to build or buy new, it would be a 6.8 SPC.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
                      Looking to build ar pistol but cant decide on which caliber. Realistcally not planning on shooting pass 300 yards.
                      not trying to be rude but your expectations are un realistic,,,, if you want 300 yards with effectiveness,,, you need a rifle length barrel,,
                      either handgun hunt.... or don't

Comment

I say 300 yards to push the limit but effective would be little further than my bow can shoot. I would much rather take aim with my bow but in those instants that game is out of reach id like not let that trophy get away. I already have big rifle 30-06 but it gets old carrying both thus why im looking for something little more compact.

Comment

Putting finishing touches on mine this week.

Doing 300 BO- 10.5" barrel, SBA3 Brace. Going to shoot supersonics and run a reflex sight. Should hammer anything i point at inside 100 yards without issue.

If I had not scored a deal here on TBH I would have gone 350 Legend though. Throw an even bigger hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
                            I say 300 yards to push the limit but effective would be little further than my bow can shoot. I would much rather take aim with my bow but in those instants that game is out of reach id like not let that trophy get away. I already have big rifle 30-06 but it gets old carrying both thus why im looking for something little more compact.
                            look at the contender pistols ,,, huge selection of rounds to pick from,,, extreme accuracy and will deliver at long range

Comment

Another vote for 6.8 SPC

Comment

Working...
                              X