Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #51
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

High fence. 10 acres. 10,000. 100,000. With as many owners inside as you please. Exterior is all high fenced, then it’s high fence.

Low fence=free range.


And the comment that “down south they’ll hit a high fence eventually so it’s all high fence” is stupid lol. They can walk around the place and go from Mexico to Canada. THAT is not high fence.

This is a pretty simple concept. I have nothing against high fence so long as it’s not kick and shoot. I’ll hunt large acreage HF and have. Just stating facts. Folks trying to change a defenition to make them feel good I guess?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 12:17 PM   #52
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
High fence. 10 acres. 10,000. 100,000. With as many owners inside as you please. Exterior is all high fenced, then itís high fence.

Low fence=free range.


And the comment that ďdown south theyíll hit a high fence eventually so itís all high fenceĒ is stupid lol. They can walk around the place and go from Mexico to Canada. THAT is not high fence.

This is a pretty simple concept. I have nothing against high fence so long as itís not kick and shoot. Iíll hunt large acreage HF and have. Just stating facts. Folks trying to change a defenition to make them feel good I guess?
are roads the buffer? if i have a perfect square piece of LF property with county roads on all 4 sides, and all of my neighbors across the roads are HF, am i good to call myself LF because the deer can run down the middle of the road until the HF stops?
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #53
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bend TX
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishted View Post
Here's how its even a question.

You have a landowner that owns 5000 acres, almost 8 sections, not 10 inside a breeding operation.
No connection to any neighbors, dont know what they are shooting or not shooting.
A piece of property that is plus or minus 65% low fenced and balance high fenced.
if you read the entire thread you can see that it is somewhat divided by people that think one way or another, so it would seem that the question is a relevant one and has intelligent folks on both sides.

Hope that helps clear it up for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
It seems that many people argue that if the deer can't escape from you then it is High Fence. In the OPs scenario, the deer CAN escape you by going to the neighbors' property on either side. I think that is why the question is posed. Are you hunting high fence if the deer can escape from the land you are hunting/own?
I didn't know deer could read property deeds or tax records and see that someone else owned the property in the middle that had LF around it.

So what's stopping a HF operation from putting a 10, 20 (or whatever size floats your boat) LF plot right in the center of his ranch (of whatever size) and calling it a LF kill?

Again, how in the world is this even a question?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 12:31 PM   #54
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southlake, Texas
Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
are roads the buffer? if i have a perfect square piece of LF property with county roads on all 4 sides, and all of my neighbors across the roads are HF, am i good to call myself LF because the deer can run down the middle of the road until the HF stops?
As long as the deer on your place can end up in Canada you are good to go.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 04:03 PM   #55
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
As long as the deer on your place can end up in Canada you are good to go.
So of we build the border wall at the southern border (I know, I'm dreaming) and Canada, in retaliation (please, oh please do) does the same to keep us out, are we all then high fenced and we could forever be done with this insane argument?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 04:11 PM   #56
PondPopper
Pope & Young
 
PondPopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska
Default

Name:  high.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  79.9 KB
PondPopper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 09:31 AM   #57
Chance Love
Pope & Young
 
Chance Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander, Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
So of we build the border wall at the southern border (I know, I'm dreaming) and Canada, in retaliation (please, oh please do) does the same to keep us out, are we all then high fenced and we could forever be done with this insane argument?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Yes I think so. Since some think the size of a place doesn't matter, I'd say you are correct.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #58
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young
 
S-3 Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sisterdale
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Mertzon , presidio , tiviolie
Default

Water is wet
Wait!
Water makes stuff wet.
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #59
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
Water is wet
Wait!
Water makes stuff wet.
Unless it's already wet, then it just makes it... wetter? Wait, is there different levels of wet, or is wet just wet, no matter how wet?
What were we talking about?


Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #60
Bassdeer
Ten Point
 
Bassdeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Colony
Default

How highs the fence? I saw a video on here of a pig jumping a high fence, so you could have free range pigs.
Bassdeer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #61
bugleboy
Ten Point
 
bugleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Hunt In: Young county
Default

As I understand it, you drive through the high fence to get to your place. Once you're inside said high fenced 15,000 acres, you can't get back outside of it without going through the same high fence gate, or some other high fenced gate. Therefore, you are hunting inside a high fenced area. Doesn't matter that your particular part of that area is fenced off with a low fence.
bugleboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #62
deerdynasty
Four Point
 
deerdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Springfield Louisiana
Hunt In: Same
Default

im willing to bet a TON of low fence areas have high fences on one or more sides... and if you looked at a page map it would be surrounded by fence on 3 or all sides... think about how many miles of HF is in Texas... nuts
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #63
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
it's "low fence", and one of the reasons you see some really really big "low fence" deer these days.


there's 1000 acres inside of my lease that's completely high fenced that has about 4-5 different tracts in it. the people that hunt on that 1100 acres don't even know they're high fenced in.
lol. I get to go play on my buddy's 1200 acre high fence ranch a few times a year. it doesn't take that much driving to run into one of those high fences.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #64
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

To the OP, it's absolutely a high fence. There is a set area that is completely barricaded that the deer can't escape from under any circumstances. A couple of invisible, imaginary lines in the middle of that property do not change that. If a single deer has been brought in from outside the fence to alter the genetics inside of the fence, then your argument for low fence, which was flimsy to begin with has even less validity.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #65
kyle1974
Pope & Young
 
kyle1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flour Bluff, America
Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default High Fence question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
lol. I get to go play on my buddy's 1200 acre high fence ranch a few times a year. it doesn't take that much driving to run into one of those high fences.

Other than trespassing on to someone elseís property maybe?

8 different tracts in that 1100 acres. So I guess if you want to trespass you could find out itís all high fence, but Iíve talked with some of the people hunting there and they have no idea because theyíve never seen it.

How many property lines does a deer have to be able to cross until itís fair chase?

Last edited by kyle1974; 12-01-2022 at 11:58 AM.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 12:07 PM   #66
cpatterson
Six Point
 
cpatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lubbock TX
Hunt In: Garza Co. & Nolan Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
Other than trespassing on to someone elseís property maybe?

8 different tracts in that 1100 acres. So I guess if you want to trespass you could find out itís all high fence, but Iíve talked with some of the people hunting there and they have no idea because theyíve never seen it.

How many property lines does a deer have to be able to cross until itís fair chase?

How do they get to their tract within the high fence without going through a high fence gate?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #67
kyle1974
Pope & Young
 
kyle1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flour Bluff, America
Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default High Fence question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatterson View Post
How do they get to their tract within the high fence without going through a high fence gate?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Funny story about that. Until two years ago there was no gate.

6 miles of high fence and my landowner put up a cattle guard with a low fence gate next to it. It is a high fence gate now with some panels around the cattle guard.

So they all go through that section, but some of them donít realize how far the high fence extends because that cattleguard is in the NE corner. So the guys who go in there have 1-2-3 neighbors past them thatís all low fence between.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #68
cpatterson
Six Point
 
cpatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lubbock TX
Hunt In: Garza Co. & Nolan Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
LOL. Funny story about that. Until two years ago there was no gate.

6 miles of high fence and my landowner put up a cattle guard with a low fence gate next to it. It is a high fence gate now with some panels around the cattle guard.

So they all go through that section, but some of them donít realize how far the high fence extends because that cattleguard is in the NE corner. So the guys who go in there have 1-2-3 neighbors past them thatís all low fence between.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. So as far as they ďknowĒ itís only high fenced on that side.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 12:18 PM   #69
kyle1974
Pope & Young
 
kyle1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flour Bluff, America
Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatterson View Post
I see. So as far as they ďknowĒ itís only high fenced on that side.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 1100 acres is 100% high fenced. But tract to tract is not. And some of them honesty do not know. I tried to explain to one guy that it was and he absolutely argued about it. I just said ďokĒ.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #70
rladner
Pope & Young
 
rladner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coppell
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I didn't know deer could read property deeds or tax records and see that someone else owned the property in the middle that had LF around it.

So what's stopping a HF operation from putting a 10, 20 (or whatever size floats your boat) LF plot right in the center of his ranch (of whatever size) and calling it a LF kill?

Again, how in the world is this even a question?

Exactly as I laid it out. Has nothing to do with deeds. OP is referring to someone who has NO RIGHT to hunt the other parcels, No common ownership, can't even touch the other properties without trespassing. We are not talking about 10 acres. I would ask the same question, but say it is 20K acres, inside of a 100K acre place. If I only own the 20K acre and can only step foot on the 20K acres, but the deer can roam the full 100K acres, are they not free to leave my 20K acres whenever they want? So, aren't they free to come and go off my property? I would pose the same question to the island of Hawaii. Isn't that a contained property with preventative boundaries? Again, not saying I don't disagree with you, just trying to explain "How this is a question"
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #71
Gclyde28
Ten Point
 
Gclyde28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post

How many property lines does a deer have to be able to cross until itís fair chase?
If you apply a number to it, its high fenced. If you are really talking true free range, the number of property lines the deer can cross is infinity.
Gclyde28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #72
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
Other than trespassing on to someone else’s property maybe?

8 different tracts in that 1100 acres. So I guess if you want to trespass you could find out it’s all high fence, but I’ve talked with some of the people hunting there and they have no idea because they’ve never seen it.

How many property lines does a deer have to be able to cross until it’s fair chase?
somehow you know it's high fence but claim the people on the property are too dumb to figure it out? The fence would greatly increase the value of the lease, but the owner is being sneaky about it? makes no sense. either way, it's all irrelevant. 1100 acres is a small area of land that a deer can cross completely in a couple of hours. the deer are absolutely captive deer, no matter if there's 8 or 800 imaginary lines on the place.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #73
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
Exactly as I laid it out. Has nothing to do with deeds. OP is referring to someone who has NO RIGHT to hunt the other parcels, No common ownership, can't even touch the other properties without trespassing. We are not talking about 10 acres. I would ask the same question, but say it is 20K acres, inside of a 100K acre place. If I only own the 20K acre and can only step foot on the 20K acres, but the deer can roam the full 100K acres, are they not free to leave my 20K acres whenever they want? So, aren't they free to come and go off my property? I would pose the same question to the island of Hawaii. Isn't that a contained property with preventative boundaries? Again, not saying I don't disagree with you, just trying to explain "How this is a question"
100k acres completely surrounded by high fence is still high fenced. Very very very simple concept. Lol
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #74
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
are roads the buffer? if i have a perfect square piece of LF property with county roads on all 4 sides, and all of my neighbors across the roads are HF, am i good to call myself LF because the deer can run down the middle of the road until the HF stops?
No. High fence is high fence. This isnít a matter of opinion. Itís a fact. Completely surrounded by high fence itís still high fenced.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #75
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclyde28 View Post
If you apply a number to it, its high fenced. If you are really talking true free range, the number of property lines the deer can cross is infinity.
Then there is no longer any free range deer in America

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #76
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
Then there is no longer any free range deer in America

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
This is the dumbest argument ever lol.

This entire post makes me want to kick a puppy. Lol
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #77
KingsX
Pope & Young
 
KingsX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mertzon
Hunt In: West Texas.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Yes I think so. Since some think the size of a place doesn't matter, I'd say you are correct.
You have now made one of the dumbest comments in this thread.
It’s hypothetical at best and not reality. Wish folks would debate reality vs whatever they can dream up to win the internet that day.
Guess we need to clarify and explain/spell everything out now! When someone says it doesn’t matter what size a place is most people know it is a hunting ranch that’s being talked about. Not the entire United States of America and its cities together under one Highfence and ocean enclosure that doesn’t exist. If one day it does I guess an asterisk * will be needed by all entries into the UnitedStates part of the record books. Lol.
I like a good train wreck but dang!

Last edited by KingsX; 12-01-2022 at 02:33 PM.
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #78
kyle1974
Pope & Young
 
kyle1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flour Bluff, America
Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
somehow you know it's high fence but claim the people on the property are too dumb to figure it out? The fence would greatly increase the value of the lease, but the owner is being sneaky about it? makes no sense. either way, it's all irrelevant. 1100 acres is a small area of land that a deer can cross completely in a couple of hours. the deer are absolutely captive deer, no matter if there's 8 or 800 imaginary lines on the place.
it's not "somehow" I know, I know because the ranch I lease is 17,000 acres and surrounds it on all 4 sides, and I drive all 4 sides of it on a regular basis.

you're right, that entire place IS high fenced. that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying if a guy shoots a deer on one of those tracts and enters it into a low fence competition, what happens?


I will draft a letter and leave it on their entrance with your concerns so they can be fully abreast of the situation here on TBH

Last edited by kyle1974; 12-01-2022 at 02:11 PM.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 02:42 PM   #79
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bend TX
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
This is the dumbest argument ever lol.

This entire post makes me want to kick a puppy. Lol
I think we're on cats now FYI

So kick a kitten or hold a cat underwater etc.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #80
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I think we're on cats now FYI

So kick a kitten or hold a cat underwater etc.
But I like puppies and wouldnít kick one. Not fond of cats
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com