Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Default San Antonio Theft

Last weekend, I took my family out to San Antonio to go to Sea World and enjoy all the fun stuff a 4 year old girl might enjoy before we start just going to the deer lease all the time. My in laws were eager to join us, and offered up bringing their camper so that we could stay in the camper and save the money on a hotel. We got up Friday morning, ate breakfast, and headed to Sea World. We got there before they opened the gates, and got the $33 preferred parking to get us closer to the gate. We took my wife's 4runner with the 2 kids and they drove his long wheel base F350 that he pulled the camper with. We went in and had a good time, but went out only to find that his truck was gone. After the cops get there, and we talk to security we learn how common this is out there. Cops told us that truck was the holy grail for trucks going to Mexico, and that his truck was LONG GONE. This is a WHITE, King Ranch, Long wheel base, F350, 4" lift, Ranch Hand front bumper, and an extended 80 gallon gas tank. Luckily for us my brother in law's girlfriend lives near San Antonio, so he was able to drop off his truck so that we could haul the camper home. It is a white F250.... We got up Saturday morning and took my kids to the drive through zoo, and the in laws stayed back most of the day to iron out the business of having their truck stolen and everything that was in it. Finally around diner time they call us to say we can meet them for dinner at a Mexican food joint by The Rim. They were inside waiting on us when they heard a car alarm going off, so they went outside to check "just in case". Well someone had broken into that truck and tried to steal it as well. Once it didn't just crank right up, they rummaged through the console and took off.

If you have a white F series truck be aware they are super easy to break into/steal. It is like one swipe of a screw driver on the drivers side door and they're in. It doesn't take them 2 seconds.
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Yeah that place is an absolute crap hole. My brother was recently out there for a business meeting. He and a few other co workers went out for dinner. ALLLL of their trucks were broken into while eating. Most of them had f250/350s and had their door handle locks busted. One of the guys had a duramax and his window got busted
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

You would think that they would have an automated system checking plates at the border, but I guess that's too much to ask.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
WTN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

The entire Rim area is like that. I won’t even considering taking my truck to BPS.
WTN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

I try to do semiannual PSAs on this topic in San Antonio. I am sorry they got your family
thegrouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
You would think that they would have an automated system checking plates at the border, but I guess that's too much to ask.
Yep, not that hard.
They just don't want to catch them. I mean why would they as they can't do anything to them if they do catch them.

We need to vote for a new law where car thieves get a bullet.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen county

Sorry to hear about your in-laws truck. San Antonio has been really bad for a while. Best to either avoid or get a cheap rental car if you have to go where the tourist go. I used to stay in SA for business but now I just find a hotel in a neighboring town.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County/ Out West

Oh yeah, I know that feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
gander
Ten Point

Hunt In: SETX

I have a cousin and a couple other close friends that live in San Antonio and all happen to drive Ford trucks. In the past year they have had their trucks broken into close to 10 times. One of them has had his Raptor broken into 4-5 times in 4 months. It has gotten crazy there.

I wonder, does Laredo, Del Rio, or El Paso have these same issues with trucks being broken into or stolen? You would figure those cities would be even worse being the vicinity they are to Mexico?
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #10
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

It's not all of SA, just certain areas.
88 Bound is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #11
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Time for a sting, but I've been saying that for years.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #12
OldRiverRat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
ha ha ! you said Border. what border?

its a crying shame.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

I installed my kill switch on my F250 exactly for that reason.

80% of the F250's/F150's stolen in SA are in Mexico with 3-4 hrs. The other 20% are parked a mile or two away and completely stripped.

Not a shot at the OP by any means but blows my mind people don't realize/heard of this issue. Its been crazy for 10+ years and I know of 5 different people who have gone through it (1 person has twice). During the holiday season I bet 100+ trucks are stolen out of the RIM area alone each year. Ford has made it entirely to easy for their trucks to be stolen and blows my mind (again) they refuse to make changes to address it.

Sorry you had to experience it sir. Never leave anything valuable in your truck in SA "especially the NW side" and if you drive a Ford get a kill switch.
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
spread5150
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

F series trucks all have this issue. San Antonio doesn’t really prosecute anything so there you go.

What is crazy to me is you can’t steal a 1999 Camry but it’s 2021 and this happens all day everyday.

Silverado’s and GM stuff the wheels get taken at night. Put you a set of double wheel locks now. It’s coming.
spread5150 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

with cooler weather you could have someone sit in the back seat of the truck at BPS with a baseball bat and start breaking hands. no cops involved, just break them and drive off.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
HUNTIN HARD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Africa

Sorry about all that. I would love to be hiding in truck and have the sob open the door.
HUNTIN HARD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #17
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Thats why I drive a dodge...… thieves feel sorry for me and walk on by.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #18
HUNTIN HARD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
with cooler weather you could have someone sit in the back seat of the truck at BPS with a baseball bat and start breaking hands. no cops involved, just break them and drive off.
Beat me to it
HUNTIN HARD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

I had the same exact thing happen at sea world in SA three years ago! We payed for the preferred parking and all to get up close to the entry and we were literally three parking spots away from a manned security guard shack in broad daylight. We spent the day in the park and were headed to the ranch in Uvalde after so I had a rifle completely out of sight in the back of the car, my wallet in the glove box, wife's purse and CC pistol out of sight in the backseat. It was like we were watched loading the car while leaving the hotel that morning because they stole exactly the items I just listed and never disturbed a single other thing. I would bet that the park security is in on this also. When SAPD came out to write a report, the officer told us there were 13 vehicle burglaries in that parking lot the DAY BEFORE! I tried every phone number and email I could find for Sea World to make a complaint for not being notified of the high likelihood of getting broken into in THEIR parking lot and never did I get any more than a half assed apology. My wife and I were actually discussing getting season passes while walking to the car that day. Sea World can kiss both cheeks as far as I'm concerned! I also wonder how is it that SAPD didn't have a deputy assigned to watch that lot after having 13 burglaries the day prior? This is absolutely organized crime!
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #20
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gander View Post
I have a cousin and a couple other close friends that live in San Antonio and all happen to drive Ford trucks. In the past year they have had their trucks broken into close to 10 times. One of them has had his Raptor broken into 4-5 times in 4 months. It has gotten crazy there.

I wonder, does Laredo, Del Rio, or El Paso have these same issues with trucks being broken into or stolen? You would figure those cities would be even worse being the vicinity they are to Mexico?

Del Rio is not like that at all. Not sure about the other two cities mentioned. The issue is the theives that want to make a quick buck in SA live there and steal trucks that are both easy to brake into and easy to sell. It just so happens some of those trucks end up in Mexico.

Last edited by Pedernal; 10-26-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #21
BowhunterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

This happened to me a couple years ago, so I had the door handle and lock replaced with a rear door handle so they can't do that any longer. I just have to hope the battery doesn't die or I won't be able to open the door with the remote
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #22
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Oughta be an automatic hanging offense, just like stealing a horse in the old west. This crap would stop after a few corpses were left off a light pole. Too many crybabies nowadays saying nothing is worth a human life. I would hang them next to the thief.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Youíre too nice.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #24
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
I had the same exact thing happen at sea world in SA three years ago! We payed for the preferred parking and all to get up close to the entry and we were literally three parking spots away from a manned security guard shack in broad daylight. We spent the day in the park and were headed to the ranch in Uvalde after so I had a rifle completely out of sight in the back of the car, my wallet in the glove box, wife's purse and CC pistol out of sight in the backseat. It was like we were watched loading the car while leaving the hotel that morning because they stole exactly the items I just listed and never disturbed a single other thing. I would bet that the park security is in on this also. When SAPD came out to write a report, the officer told us there were 13 vehicle burglaries in that parking lot the DAY BEFORE! I tried every phone number and email I could find for Sea World to make a complaint for not being notified of the high likelihood of getting broken into in THEIR parking lot and never did I get any more than a half assed apology. My wife and I were actually discussing getting season passes while walking to the car that day. Sea World can kiss both cheeks as far as I'm concerned! I also wonder how is it that SAPD didn't have a deputy assigned to watch that lot after having 13 burglaries the day prior? This is absolutely organized crime!
If any of you have had your vehicle broken into or stolen at Seaworld SA, shoot me a PM please.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #25
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
To heck with that! They'd be looking down the barrel of my .45!
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #26
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
To heck with that! They'd be looking down the barrel of my .45!
while I agree and would want to do the same, if you shoot them it will cause a big " hoo haa" that you wouldn't want to be wrapped up in. If you detain them for the cops then they will get a slap on the wrist and be thieving again the next day. If you crush their hands and leave, what can they do? snitch on themselves at the ER about breaking into cars. And its hard to use a screwdriver when you can't close your fist.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #27
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Yep, not that hard.
They just don't want to catch them. I mean why would they as they can't do anything to them if they do catch them.

We need to vote for a new law where car thieves get a bullet.
You misspelled "all thieves".
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #28
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

It’s almost comical what the SAPD does about the plague of theft on the north side, they give you a website and 1-800 # to call and file a report
Yet they have lots of different stings on prostitution and porch pirate, ect on the news, Harris co and Bexar co are a joke on property crime
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #29
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

San Antonio is a den of thieves. Only time I have ever been broken into or truck stolen was in SA. Three times while visiting.
armadillophil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #30
Gary Roberson
Ten Point

I just returned from a couple of days in San Antonio and rather than drive one of the newer F-150's took my 2005 Ranger. They can break into it in 2 seconds but may not be as valuable on the Mexican market. It worked, no theft or break in this time.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #31
Jon-Paul
Administrator

This week there will be an increase I bet as the National Sporting Clay Championship is going on.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #32
Snapperhead94
Four Point

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Just imagine, if the cops caught the thieves, they'd have paperwork to do at the end of their shift.
That would also interfere with their opportunity to sit along the feeder roads writing tickets.
Snapperhead94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #33
HuntForHorns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kentucky, Africa, Fayette County
Default sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillophil View Post
San Antonio is a den of thieves. Only time I have ever been broken into or truck stolen was in SA. Three times while visiting.

Same here. I have been going to the national sporting clays championship there for 20 years. I had my truck broken in to about 10 years ago at a hotel.

Now I only drive my Prius to San Antonio when I am going to be staying outside the gun range over night.

I was just there over the weekend for the tournament and my shooting buddy was mad because I suggested we take the prius to the hotel and leave his truck at the range. This is exactly why!

Prius aren't too popular in mexico either. [/quote]

Last edited by HuntForHorns; 10-26-2021 at 12:08 PM. Reason: .
HuntForHorns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #34
fishfeeder01
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb Co
Default Re Stolen Trucks

Sorry to hear of the loss. We have a ranch just north of Laredo, and the F series 250 and 350 and the heavy duty chevy trucks are used to transport
white powder, bales of grass and northbound non passport passengers all the time. We have had quite a few crash into our properties, and destroy the gates, or fences while trying to flee the BP, or DPS. Not saying your loss might be recovered, but once a vehicle comes onto our property, we ask if it is stolen, if its not stolen, it is parked behind a large barn and just sits there for driving practice for my kids, . The stolen ones get towed away for turnover to the insurance companies.
fishfeeder01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #35
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperhead94 View Post
Just imagine, if the cops caught the thieves, they'd have paperwork to do at the end of their shift.
That would also interfere with their opportunity to sit along the feeder roads writing tickets.
Itís amazing how they have a speed trap setup @ the UTSA BLV over pass on I-10 with 8-10 cruisers only 3/4 mile from the rim
And huge vice squad sting on south side, chief Mcmaniss WTG
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #36
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: Toe Nail Trail

Seems to me that if the Sea World parking lot is a hot spot, that they must have some inside help.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #37
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fry View Post
Seems to me that if the Sea World parking lot is a hot spot, that they must have some inside help.
It certainly seems that way. Either the worker at the gate, security guard, or they've got someone posted up just outside of the entrance watching you go in.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #38
Aggies96
Four Point

I've lived in SA for 15 years now and haven't had an issue yet (knock on wood). I'm a project manager for a construction company and hit several areas of SA with my work - the good parts and the bad parts. I don't think San Antonio is a ----hole like everyone is putting out. I've got friends in Austin and Houston that have had several issues as well - heck in their front driveways at times (Ford F250 of his driveway in the afternoon in Houston). That being said I've got friends here too as well that have had issues. It's all about timing - wrong place at the wrong time. If they want in they'll find a way. The pros do it so fast a cop standing 50ft away might not even notice it. The Ford trucks are on the top of thieves list not just in SA but all over the state. Pay attention to your surroundings and work them to your advantage if you can - not a thieves. I know the parking lot at Sea World might not apply to that for the most part with it being so large.
Aggies96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #39
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fry View Post
That is typically how it works.

Though some say law enforcement isn't doing anything its quite the opposite. Now.... With the liberal DA's and what not doing nothing to prosecute is effecting motivation can be a conversation on its own. That being said they (including some fellow greener's) are doing everything they can. The huge Rim bust included 1-2 security patrols from the rim and that is why they were so efficient.

Also, with todays technology in vehicle's its even easier to steal a truck (and it was already easy before). I watched the security of my buddies newer F250 that was stolen where crews are going around with a computer/device that can remote unlock and start these trucks, as long as they are within approximately ~50', and take off. From the time his truck was started up to backed out and driving down the isle was maybe 25 seconds and this includes no alarms going off.

A big chunk of the breaks is supposedly from a massive group of thieves (believe they started in Houston) that rotate between the 4 big cities. My wife's car was hit ~4 years ago by this group.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #40
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Quote:
You donít they donít swap out the plates?
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #41
sharpstick35
Ten Point

I've had plates stolen in Del Rio twice in the last 8 years
Old 10-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #42
Voodoo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Boy, if you had an Apple Airtag in that thing you would probably have a general idea where the truck is.

To think theft doesn’t occur by the minute in San Antonio is putting the old noggin in the sand.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #43
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

I have a 2019 F250 and it has a push button start. I'm headed to San Antonio in a couple weeks. Whats the best way to keep it from getting stolen?
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
they do have LP readers. all the talk you do about the border and you didnt know that?
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #45
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
That's racist...or something.

OP, sorry the luck. As the proud owner of a 2012 white F250, I keep full coverage and low deductible on mine specifically because of this. The truck was a dream of mine in high school, and I worked my butt off to buy it.

The only solace is one day those same thugs will keep up their thuggery, and they will meet the wrong end of a .45.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #46
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCowpoke View Post
I have a 2019 F250 and it has a push button start. I'm headed to San Antonio in a couple weeks. Whats the best way to keep it from getting stolen?
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ht=truck+theft

http://www.ravelco.com/
Old 10-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #47
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Quote:
Take a wheel or two off. That should stop em.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #48
WItoTX
Pope & Young

LOL, or just pull a couple fuses.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #49
kingchip
Eight Point

Hunt In: south and more south

These trucks don't typically ever cross the border, but pick up the goodies on this side and make a run or runs until it craps out or they get caught. Last one crashed our fence NW of Encinal at 10 am had been stolen from Georgetown after 2 am, driven to border, loaded up with "exchange students" and was headed north. Someone tried to pull them over and they ran, using pipeline ROW's and roads, until they crap out, usually flat tires .
kingchip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #50
Voodoo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Quote:
Put a boot on a wheel, starter disconnect, and leave your doors unlocked, put your crap you donít want stolen in a job box bolted in the back of the rig.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top