Effective Range of 30-30 With a 16.25” Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effective Range of 30-30 With a 16.25” Barrel

I’m thinking about getting the Marlin 336 Youth for both a truck gun and for my kids to use. I am sure the 20” barrel model would be better but I really like the size of the 16” as it fits the kids better. Does anyone have any practical experience with the Marlin youth model? Most shots would be around 100 yards. A few questions...

1) What is the effective range on whitetail for the 30-30 with a 16” barrel?
    2) What type of accuracy can you expect at 100 yards?
    3) How is the recoil on the youth model?
    4) What ammo do you recommend?
    5) Any downsides to buying the youth model?
    6) Scope or no scope? If scope, what size/power?
    7) Good gun for a small framed child age 6-10?

Any other info I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Would be plenty for 100 yds

150 gr federals in the blue box. Cheap and consistent

Get a cheap fixed power scope. A tasco 4x will be plenty for this application

Recoil will be like a 243

Comment

Lever evolution rounds - takes the 30.30 to another level! Thanks

Comment

30-30 is a great caliber. I had a single shot that I and a friend built some very hot 125gr hp bt ammo for. It blew giant holes through critters.
        The ammo available today is way better than 20 years ago........

Comment

Good info so far. Thanks to all. Keep it coming.

Comment

Its an easy 200 yard rifle scoped. The 150gr Powermax is the BEST bullet for the task. I’ve used the Marlin “y”, “sdg”, “LTS”, and “sdt” extensively. A Leupold freedom 1-4x20 in tally rings is great. Also a skinner rear dovetail peep with your front sight coupled with weaver S466 steel bases and scope in Leupold QRW rings gives you a rock solid return to perfect zero removable option.

This sight is becoming one of our most popular selling sights due to the fact it can be mounted on almost any rifle with a dovetail cut in the barrel. The Barrel Mounted Dovetail sight looks great on modern and antique rifles alike. For example, this sight is "amazing" on the Ruger 10/22.ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN APERTURE

Last edited by Johnny44; 11-19-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

It will be plenty accurate for out to 200 yards.
              I would put a 2-7 Leupold on it with a minimum of 36mm, it will help with the low light shooting.
              Federal offers a 125 grain flat point that would be very effective on deer and pigs, or use a 150 grain flat point it will increase recoil slightly. I would not spend the extra money on any of the flex tip ammo for close range shooting.

Comment

150 easy add a decent 3-9 as they are super common add a RHINO Picatinny Rail and your set to go

glass these are on sale right now clarity is extremely good in my opinion better than vortex I won both brands this is a great deal for the money

https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Athlon-Optics-Argos-2-10x40---Center-X-Rifle-Scopes&catalog[product_guids][0]=1618310

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  Would be plenty for 100 yds

150 gr federals in the blue box. Cheap and consistent

Get a cheap fixed power scope. A tasco 4x will be plenty for this application

Recoil will be like a 243
                  Agree with him. Once you confirm what it can do at the range, I think you'll find confidence out to 150 or even 200 yds.

Comment

Those Federal 125’s are great for getting that velocity up but they have a major problem...

Never on the store shelf
                    Last edited by Johnny44; 11-19-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I read somewhere that the 125s don't have enough oomph to take down a deer at 200 yards and under. I find that hard to believe.

Comment

They work dang good especially in a full length barrel. I think they are in the 2600fps range from a 24” barrel.

I found the Powermax to be a perfect performer each and every time, and its on the shelf. The bullet really opens up and stays together with many large exit wounds. I’ve used everything else and its powermax only for me.
                        Last edited by Johnny44; 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking forward to hopefully picking one up soon.

Comment

Bang Flop on 2 deer out to 165 yrds. Scoped model 94. Hornady lever revolutions.

Comment

I’ve killed pigs with LeverEvolution ammo out to 200 yards. Like all rifles, the most limiting factor is the guy behind the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X