No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlled burns starting today through Sunday in units 31, 30 and 74 near Tandra Point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
      Controlled burns starting today through Sunday in units 31, 30 and 74 near Tandra Point.
      You seeing them run around your place at all?

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
        You seeing them run around your place at all?
        I usually don't see the bigger ones in daylight. I have seen small ones and spikes harassing the does though. I need to go check my cameras, as the rut is when I get the big ones on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmith_FO01 View Post
          I saw where you were asking about Oklahoma hunting info. I have a lease in Northern Oklahoma. Not sure on WMA hunting but for Non-Resident Archery its $300.
          Thanks!

Comment

May have lost a camera in the burn lol I didnt realize they would burn right in the middle of deer season. Guess I will see when I get back in town.

Comment

Why wouldn't they burn in Jan and Feb before the green up. It's the freaking rut for crying out loud.

Comment

First priority, safety of area's peoples, and forest service lands. It will be even more dry out there later. Potential for fire goes way up. Weather and wind has a lot to do with days and places they burn. Wind has to be right. Fire dept has to be available. They have limited resources too. Lots of variables to getting it done when the opportunity arises.

Our ability to hunt out there is just a spin-off of what those lands were meant for. They have lots of other uses/purposes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeholley View Post
                  Why wouldn't they burn in Jan and Feb before the green up. It's the freaking rut for crying out loud.

Early fall does a better job of killing back sapling and cedar encroachment. Often times, late winter burns just kill the above ground portion, and the plant still has enough reserves left in the root system to live on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunted yesterday morning through this morning. Shot this pig at about 7am yesterday. Pig took a death dive into some nasty/thick stuff. Had a young buck walk through at about 30 yards, chased a doe through the field after. No deer last night or this morning. Another group of pigs came through this morning but didn't feel like losing another arrow and broad head. I've got to move units tomorrow. I'm encountering other hunters too often.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well thanks for the info guys. Guess I know better than to run cameras out there during the season. I work out of town two weeks at a time and cant just run out there right before they decide to burn it.
                      Last edited by JohnEdward; 11-19-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Anybody got an idea of what parts of 31 they burned? I'm so anxious to find out if that camera got burned. It was such a promising spot!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeholley View Post
                          Anybody got an idea of what parts of 31 they burned? I'm so anxious to find out if that camera got burned. It was such a promising spot!
                          Went out today stopping by the forestry office and driving those units. They said they burned all of 30, 31, and 74. When I went out to drive through it looks like the south west side of 31 is pretty spotty but the further north in the units you go the stronger then burn looked. It did not look to have done much damage to the trees though so there is a chance that a camera or stand may have made it through depending on where it was and how far up the tree it was. Going out in the morning when I get off work but still not sure if I am going to walk those units. I will probably checkout other units I have been wanting to scout so I can find a few nice spots for doe days this weekend.

Comment

Do I need a type II to hunt LBJ ?

Comment

Originally posted by snorlaxyay View Post
                              Do I need a type II to hunt LBJ ?

Hunting license and hunters ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed out 5o see if the cam survived now.

Comment

Working...
                                X