Oleander + Bottlebrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oleander + Bottlebrush

All the leaves are completely brown. I haven’t trimmed them back yet to see if there are any green limbs.

Is that the procedure or cut them down until green is found? All that’s happening now are leaves slowly falling into my pool.

Open for suggestions on how to work these. My wife took care of them before.

Following.

I have several of these and others (Japanese Blueberries) that still don’t look so good....

Comment

That’s what you can try. I hate to say but most bottle brush and dwarf oleander are dead the Jap Blueberries too.It’s going to be more difficult and costly to replace plants this year a lot of the nurseries took a hit on their plant stock.

Comment

I cut my bottlebrush down and they were dead all the way to roots.
        I think they're goners and will have to replace.

Comment

Bottle brush, jap. blueberries are dead and will have to be pulled out. Some oleanders may make it, but I bet they never grow back like normal. You can cut them to the ground, but I would probably pull them out.

We have over 20 well established bottle brush and large jap blueberries that are all gone. Makes me sick and will be a costly fix for sure

Comment

Can’t speak for Harris Co. but in Brazos Co. I’ve watched both of those plants freeze to the ground and grow back from the roots even in mild winters. This year? Around here I’d be very surprised to see any survivors. Houston is a good bit further south than College Station, but I’m not too optimistic about them still having any life...

Comment

I cut all our bottlebrush out and it was dead all the way to the root too.

Comment

What are some more freeze resistant plants to replace the bottlebrush?

Comment

I've never seen Oleanders die. I've cut them down to dirt only to have them come right back up and been through several freezes with same results. Not sure if that was a different type?

Comment

I just did some spot checks - looks like everything around my pool is dead. Time for little privacy the balance of the year.

Comment

Bottlebrush is a tropical plant. I've seen them die from cold even in light freezes in the RGV. Oleander should be OK. If you feel like you need to cut them back, I'd do it at the ground level. They should come back fine.

Comment

I’ve had bottle brush come back from the roots. I would wait until we have some
                        warmer weather to pull them out. Mine was actually in bloom when the weather came thru. Hoping it starts throwing out suckers soon and I’ll trim out any dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                          warmer weather to pull them out. Mine was actually in bloom when the weather came thru. Hoping it starts throwing out suckers soon and I’ll trim out any dead.
                          Hope you are right. I was here in 83 and 89 and don’t remember losing plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                            That's what I am doing. I cut them way back and we'll see if they try to do anything or not.

Comment

I am in the Metroplex so different than where you are but I had several oleanders die a few years ago in a cold snap that wasnt near as bad as the recent one. It stayed below freezing for maybe 3 days with lows in the teens and they froze to the roots.

Comment

Working...
                              X