No announcement yet.

Found Tri Tip at H-E-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing these for years now....I recommended anyone who hasnt- try it....Ive done them before in red wine vinegar and rosemarry

Comment

I guess it’s the texture of steak?

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        So can you cook it low and slow like a brisket to an internal temp of 200ish or is this best done on high heat cooked to medium rare? My HEB had quite a few of them in the meat case today so I bought one.

I would think if you did 200 it would dry out too much. You don’t have all the fat/connective tissue to break down like in a brisket. I took this one to 160-165ish.

Comment

FYI
          If your local grocery store butcher gives you an odd look when you inquire about tri-tip, just tell him it is basically what is left after he cuts sirloin steaks.

At least that is what my local one said when he finally realized what I was looking for

Yes it is same texture as steak and cooking it above med rare will ruin it IMO

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            I guess it’s the texture of steak?
            It's like if fajitas, brisket, and a ribeye had a three-way sex party; the baby would be tri-tip.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
              It's like if fajitas, brisket, and a ribeye had a three-way sex party; the baby would be tri-tip.

Lmao that’s pretty accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have looked for it, but no luck yet.

Comment

Should have had breakfast before reading this one

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                    I'm surprised at how few people know about tri tip. I'm also surprised at how this isn't in the recipe section
                    It’s getting more popular since the state has been infected with californians.

Comment

Decided to give this a go today. Couldn’t find a full cut of tritip, so I had to settle with what I could find. Definitely enjoyed it and an easy/quick cut of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great. I saw them again at H‑E‑B today but they had whole pork loins for cheap so went that route today. Did grab one Tri tip for the freezer.

Comment

TheHEB in Fulshear had quite a few a couple days ago. I picked one up. My buddy from Cali sent me a marinade recipe so I’ve done that and it in the fridge. Going to cook it Monday.

My buddy said it’s about time you guys caught up. I said that’s because of all the foreigners(Californians) moving here.

Comment

TheHEB in Fulshear had quite a few a couple days ago. I picked one up. My buddy from Cali sent me a marinade recipe so I’ve done that and it in the fridge. Going to cook it Monday.

My buddy said it’s about time you guys caught up. I said that’s because of all the foreigners(Californians) moving here.

LOL. I got it at my local meat market guy... I asked him if they carried tritip and he said, “yeah, we’ve been catering to them Californians”

Comment

So can you cook it low and slow like a brisket to an internal temp of 200ish or is this best done on high heat cooked to medium rare? My HEB had quite a few of them in the meat case today so I bought one.

I have done them low and slow just like a small brisket and they are great that way

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                I have done them low and slow just like a small brisket and they are great that way

The way my buddy says he cooks it there is to low temp smoke it for about 90 minutes and then finish it over about 600 degree. I think I’m going to try that on this first one.

Comment

Working...
                                X