Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half ton talk

Fellas,

My 15’ tundra 5.7 4x4 max is currently sitting at 207k and been a great truck. Need to start planning for another ride. Kind of torn from getting another tundra or looking at ford 3.5 ecoboost. Need something that will hold up, tows tandem axle with mule 600 miles round trip to lease 10-15 times a year. I know what I’m getting with a tundra but have the same complaints as most: seats, mpg, dated technology. For those with 3.5 and 10 speed, how does it tow (hold gears towing, etc) and any issues?

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    Fellas,

My 15’ tundra 5.7 4x4 max is currently sitting at 207k and been a great truck. Need to start planning for another ride. Kind of torn from getting another tundra or looking at ford 3.5 ecoboost. Need something that will hold up, tows tandem axle with mule 600 miles round trip to lease 10-15 times a year. I know what I’m getting with a tundra but have the same complaints as most: seats, mpg, dated technology. For those with 3.5 and 10 speed, how does it tow (hold gears towing, etc) and any issues?
    I don’t have it in a truck but have it with the max tow package in a new expedition and it’s phenomenal, that 10 speed is stellar. We’ve pulled 7-8k lbs with it and didn’t hardly downshift.

Comment

I had the 3.5 EcoBoost with a 6 speed auto and it was horrible on fuel. 14' tandem axle with a can am defender and I averaged 8mpg going to the lease and back. 270 mile round trip of highway driving. It would run like a scoled ap but the fuel sucked. Even empty I was around 12. For that I'd stay with the Tundra.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just bought my wife a new Ford Expedition 3.5 ecoboost with 10 speed, haven't towed anything with it but with the power the 3.5 can deliver and 10 speed it sure drives great.

Comment

I didn't read anything other than the title. I just wanted to say I saw a half ton 90s model chevy with a cab over camper pulling a double axle horse trailer drive through town today.

The folks I was with thought I was an idiot for being so impressed.

Comment

I know it’s not on your list but my cousin just purchased a 19 gmc AT4 with the 6.2 and it’s a beast and would pull your load easily.

Comment

Just stay with your gas drinker.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate the comments fellas

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                  I had the 3.5 EcoBoost with a 6 speed auto and it was horrible on fuel. 14' tandem axle with a can am defender and I averaged 8mpg going to the lease and back. 270 mile round trip of highway driving. It would run like a scoled ap but the fuel sucked. Even empty I was around 12. For that I'd stay with the Tundra.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  That doesn’t sound good...anybody else getting crappy mileage towing with a half ton eco boost?

Comment

With 207k miles and no issues, why would you change?

Comment

Purely to try something different. What got the gears turning was our 19 ford 5.0s we got in, impressive and can only Imani e what a 3.5 would do towing/power wise.

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                      With 207k miles and no issues, why would you change?

Comment

I am with Huggy, you barely have your Tundra broken in. Anything you get is gonna be about what you already have, same poor gas mileage etc etc PLUS a huge payment. BUT, if the ash trays on your Tundra are dirty you might outta trade. Remember, there is a Tundra out there with over 1million miles on it and it’s still running. Google the story on the million mile Tundra. Why trade down? Why trade at all. New gadget fever is expensive...very expensive. Buy you a new UTV or something with a camper toy hauler or something like that for half the money of a new truck.

Comment

Purely to try something different. What got the gears turning was our 19 ford 5.0s we got in, impressive and can only Imani e what a 3.5 would do towing/power wise.
                          Overall I’m pretty happy with my 3.5 eco boost. But I do have some complaints. Pulling a 18ft trailer with a Kubota RTV, I’ll get about 8mpg as already stated. That sucks but not enough to justify the cost of diesel because I’m only pulling a few times a year 7-8. Regular fuel economy with in town driving is about 17mpg, going to the lease I’ll get 21-22 if I keep my foot out of it.

Truck runs like a scalded cat no doubt, but I’ve had several cylinder misfires that ford said were due to the spark plugs needing to be replaced. Go to pass somebody and boom, limp mode. Has happened 3-4 times and only seems to happen in high humidity/foggy weather.

Fuel pump went out a Few weeks ago. That sucked. Had an issue with a sliding rear window leak that my dealer didn’t want to cover until I got the dealership manager involved.

Catalytic converter failed a few months ago.

Just some things that happened to me. Only 57,000 miles on my truck. I’ve highly considered switching to a Toyota Tundra but will be waiting until the new ones are out and the new F150’s. If I go back to an F-150 I am probably getting the 5.0 V8

Comment

Appreciate the honest feedback. Might just give her another 100k and check back.

Comment

Appreciate the honest feedback. Might just give her another 100k and check back.
                              Give the tundra a couple more years. By then, they will have upgraded the tundra and figured out to to get better fuel economy with the new bells and whistles. The crappy fuel mileage is the only reason why a bought a Chevy instead of a tundra 6 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X