This Oak Is Loaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Oak Is Loaded

This one doesn't care about the drought---and there is no sprinkler system in this area--

Maybe sitting over an underground spring? That is way too lush for seemingly not getting water from somewhere.

Comment

Mast (acorn) production isn’t exactly tied to moisture level for the current year. Many oaks will put out more acorns in a drought as a self-defense mechanism to increase their survival or the survival of their species. Case in point: 2012-2013 was a ridiculous period of acorn production for Live Oaks. I could have filled a dump truck full per street if I’d have wanted to.
      Last edited by Sackett; 08-18-2022, 07:06 PM.

Comment

We have a quite a few post oaks and blackjack oaks that are covered with acorns. I would not think they would have that many, but they have quite a few. At the same time, we have lost quite a few oaks, this year.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Mast (acorn) production isn’t exactly tied to moisture level for the current year. Many oaks will put out more acorns in a drought as a self-defense mechanism to increase their survival or the survival of their species. Case in point: 2012-2013 was a ridiculous period of acorn production for Live Oaks. I could have filled a dump truck full per street if I’d have wanted to.
            Yep! 55 gallons a week off the driveway back then!

Comment

Haven’t seem one this year !
              Guess my trees don’t know it’s a drought.
              Gonna try to find a good crop and collect and relocate to feed deer.

Comment

This is interesting.

My new ranch is covered in oaks. I’m guessing there’s going to be a lot of acorns on the ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                X