No announcement yet.

How to deal with a toxic work environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well right now is probably the best time to need a job. Plenty of people needing someone to work for them. If you can't sit down and let him know he's making you feel miserable at work and if it doesn't change you'll find a new job then just skip that process and do it.

Comment

Since I don't have a clue whether the problem is the company, the job ,the boss, or you... I will just say Texas is a right to work state. Go talk to the boss like a man. One way or the other that should clear the air.

Comment

How to deal with a toxic work environment

don't sacrifice your own career based on a person that's causing chaos and low moral in a company.

I'd ask, is this a company you want to stay with, and if so, fight for it. Document the issues, and go to local HR... corporate HR if local isn't cutting it.

good luck man.
        Last edited by kyle1974; 08-12-2022, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Is this the owner? Or just your boss?

Comment

Your leaving out a lot of info and I can't believe there is no other jobs. So deal with it or leave.

Comment

I do not have enough information to give any advice to you. I will give you some fundamentals that might help.

1. If some one is doing something that you don't like at work talk to them about it in a canded calm professional way.
              2. The more you think about it the worse it gets the sooner you address it the better it will be.
              3. Don't leave a job with out a new job lined up.
              4. You aren't perfect. Don't think you, are evaluate your roll in the situation.
              5.Where do you want to be in 5, 10, 15 years and is you current behavior in line with your goals and expectations?
              6. Have you taken this to god. Have you prayed about this?

Good luck and God Bless

Comment

My advise to you is don't stay in that job if you are miserable. If you have to move or change professions do it!

I spent 20 years working for a small company that used management by intimidation. Let me be be the first to say I was ***STUPID*** for staying there as long as I did.

When I hired on I was in a 3 man department. Within 8 months they let the other two guys go leaving me the green horn to manage the whole !@#$ thing. I was stressed to death...taking work home with me, affecting my family life and didn't realize the pressure I was feeling in my neck and head was high blood pressure.

By the 10 year mark I had designed a system using spread sheets to manage the work load and I decided I had had enough of my bosses bs. One day he came in and went off on me and I bowed up on him.....a shouting match ensued, chairs were getting thrown around the room....people looking in to see if punches were going to get thrown....and then it was over. I got respect for about 1 year when we would replay the above like ground hog day. My employer didn't believe in cross training so no one knew how to do my job...and I figured out they weren't going to fire me.

That being said I should have left....period. It wasn't healthy. When my wife and I went in for back to back eye exams the optometrist showed us the difference in the tiny capillaries at the back of the eye. Her's were nice and straight. The doc showed me mine....they were all kinked from uncontrolled high blood pressure and that is what was happening in other organs like the liver, kidneys, lungs, etc.
                Last edited by Tbar; 08-12-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Talk about Jesus all day every day !

Comment

Life is too short to be miserable at work.

Comment

I wouldn't advise bringing in a neutral 3rd party to record. You can just record it yourself with your phone. Bringing in outside people in the initial stages can throw off the whole "trying to be productive" environment for the conversation and I've seen it put supervisors in defensive mode rather than helpful mode. Once you get to the point of going to HR, they'll likely bring you both in together at some point and HR play the neutral role.

Comment

I have been in a similar situation but I found the same work in my home town. The boss man might not even give you a good reference if he is that kind of person. If so, then I say let it all out when you quit. Moving can be fun and exciting.

Comment

You could just do like all the other happy people !
                          Stop working and let welfare send ya a check.
                          I kid I kid !
                          I was never happy working for other people, so I went on my own 20 yrs ago.
                          I don’t take orders or requests very good.

Comment

We are looking to fill some positions. What do you currently do for a living?

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                              My money is that he is MH Baseball. Which after that comment would make sense.

To the OP for everybody on here saying talk it out, the OP stated 4 years of misery. I’m sure the boss knows what is going on. My advice is do not let this stress affect your health and family life. I promise you that it is not worth the money in the end. Go above him or HR if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is MHbaseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                Since I don't have a clue whether the problem is the company, the job ,the boss, or you... I will just say Texas is a right to work state. Go talk to the boss like a man. One way or the other that should clear the air.
                                This gets my vote. The world is in the position its in because we all give in to this PC sugar coated approach to everything. Go talk to him like a man and lay every thing out there. Face to face conversations get a better response than any other form of communication. One of the best bosses I had I hated on our first couple job sites together. I called him a Richard head one day and aired out some issues with him and he was great after that. Some folks just need to be called out every now and then. But you also have to be honest with yourself and your flaws as well. But don't beat around the bush be honest and blunt. If it goes south well, you were looking for a job when you found that one.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X