How to deal with a toxic work environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with a toxic work environment

I need suggestions... I am literally at the end of my rope where I work. I have been miserable at my job for the last 4 years. My family and I call Corpus home and there are no other jobs in the area like mine so moving isn't at the top of our things to do. I just need any suggestions yall might be able to make. I try to not let my boss get to me but I am quickly running out of patience and the Marine in me getting harder to control.

Have you tried talking to your boss and just lay it out, your problems and concerns?

Comment

How big/small is this place? In an optimal work environment, I'd say talk with your boss in a sit down environment. Then email him thanking him for the conversation and go over what you talked about. Give it 2 or 3 weeks and if it hasn't changed, go up to the next in command and do the same. Keep that going until you get to HR.

The emails may feel silly, but are very important if you get to where this becomes an unemployment issue. As a supervisor myself, I can tell you we document every issue we have with an employee. I tell employees all the time to do the same.

Comment

SSS, hope the next guy is better

Comment

Just keep plugging away and let the gym be your outlet to let steam off.

Comment

Not knowing your age my response is life is short and don’t be afraid to re-invent yourself. A miserable job can put a strain on your family life. It’s not worth it. Plenty of good jobs available and always better places to live. Next chapters can be exciting if you allow it to be. Good luck OP.

Comment

Career change...if you can't wake up 9 days out of 10 enjoying what you do, then it's time to move on.

Comment

If you can, leave. ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
                  How big/small is this place? In an optimal work environment, I'd say talk with your boss in a sit down environment. Then email him thanking him for the conversation and go over what you talked about. Give it 2 or 3 weeks and if it hasn't changed, go up to the next in command and do the same. Keep that going until you get to HR.

The emails may feel silly, but are very important if you get to where this becomes an unemployment issue. As a supervisor myself, I can tell you we document every issue we have with an employee. I tell employees all the time to do the same.
                  Do this. Whatever you do don't SNAP it's not worth it in the end.

Comment

In this job market I wouldn't be spending a day longer at a job I don't like. Life is too short to hate your job. Leave

Comment

I would recommend the conversation route, may also be helpful to have a non-biased 3rd party just sit and record what is being said. I agree with a lot that lost 10 mil is saying also. And yes, management should be recording and documenting all conversations at work. It's the worst part about having direct reports.

Comment

What does he do that is making you so unhappy. Is it just a personality clash or job performance. Need more information.

Comment

I always tell people, if you like your job, don't get too used to it. Something will change.

If you don't, same thing.

What's the chance that you can wait out your problem people?

Comment

Screw that, I have been there and it is not healthy to stay. I would be out, life is too short to spend that much time at one place a week and to be miserable.
                            Last edited by npe001; 08-12-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you know you need to go. Pray about it and I bet a door will open for you. It may be where you expect it least. Praying that you find the correct path for you and your family

Comment

Working...
                              X