Fly rod on plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly rod on plane

Flying out to Bozeman tomorrow. Have a 4 piece rod with an aluminum tube about 30” long. Think I’d have a problem strapping it to my backpack and carrying it on?

I have a 7pc rod with a much smaller tube I can take if need be, but I’d like to take the better 4pc.

Just did it 2 weeks ago flying to Wyoming. Nobody said a word to me.

Comment

Zero issues, done it many times…

Comment

I have several recons with that aluminum tube. I’ve flown a bunch with them and never had an issue. Strap it to a backpack.

Comment

What airline? My boys and I flew delta to Boston in June with no issues. Only thing I’ve heard of being an issue is the aluminum tubes, we put our good rods in tfo nylon covered tubes strapped to packs, no problem, even with the Boston tsa which is pretty intense. I’ve flown American for years with no issue.

Comment

sit on the window and itll fit along the side, no you wont have an issue

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
              What airline? My boys and I flew delta to Boston in June with no issues. Only thing I’ve heard of being an issue is the aluminum tubes, we put our good rods in tfo nylon covered tubes strapped to packs, no problem, even with the Boston tsa which is pretty intense. I’ve flown American for years with no issue.

American.

They have fly fishing in Boston?!?

Comment

I flew out of Bozeman today, returning home. Every time I fly in or out of there, I see people carrying a 4 piece fly rod in the case.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  American.

They have fly fishing in Boston?!?
                  Great striper fishing off Cape Cod/Nantucket in June/July.

American has never given me any trouble.
                  Last edited by rvd; 08-11-2022, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I've done it many times. The only issue I had was one time flying back from Costa Rica security made me strip all the line off my reel. I was ******, probably $100+ of line and backing!

Comment

I carried a pole once. On the way there no problem, on the way back they moved it up front in a secret locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No worries, it’s easy on and off.

Comment

Never had a problem. I've even seen United allow people to carry on two piece rods and store them in the coat closet.

Comment

I’m headed to Bozeman now and have 2 rods strapped to my backpack

Comment

Just about every flight into ID, MT, or WY all summer long has 20-30 of those per flight. No problems at all!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X