Gar fishing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gar fishing help

Kid is in town and wants to catch these gar behind the place we are living. Have wind at back so have options to balloon live baits or just throw bait on bottom live or dead. So do I use live mullet- live pin fish- or cut bait? Caught a few on accident but figure if we are gonna do it increase the chances

I’d use cut bait under a big cork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cut mullet fish on the bottom has worked for us in the past.

Light steel leader with a reel with a clicker. Throw out let it sit on the bottom and drink beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go buy a slip cork to keep the bait off the bottom. When the gar hits it, give it a couple minutes to eat it. Free spool, don’t let it feel you. Good luck!

Comment

I always had the best luck with sand trout. We used croaker and mullet but for some reason every time we use a sand trout, we were almost guaranteed they hook up.

We fished on the bottom, free line, clicker set, kick back and wait.

Comment

We live on the bayou and my boys far fish 4-7 days a week. The catch the most on cut mullet just off the bottom. If the gar are on top feeding they have pretty good look on a Zara spook throwing in front of them then walking it up to them.

Circle hooks are your friend. Let them chew on it a for a little while before trying to set the hook

Comment

Gator gar?

Comment

I catch a ton of them at our river place, it’s also salt water. I catch most of them on a large finger mullet Carolina rigged. I use 100# mono leader over steel, I feel like I get more hook ups that way. Their teeth aren’t sharp enough to cut it. I use 1/0 4x hooks.

Comment

Yes sir GarGuy. Gator gar. I can get some live mullet or pin fish. I also just got 2 big horse mullet to cut

Comment

Ok, you need wire leader. 2ft of 80lb with a 3o treble. At least 8oz size cut bait. Mullet is fine. Hook one barb of the hook through the upper lip of Mullet head. Leave the rest exposed. I like to free spool with no bobber but you can use a float. Hook up percent is better without it though.

Anyway, no weight. Throw the bait out and leave the reel unlocked. When a gar takes, he will move away and kay down to swallow. Give line with as little resistance as possible. After he stops give it a minute or two, then tighten up slowly. When the gar feels you he will start away. Hold tension till he pulls the rod down then hit him hard. Then hit him again . Hang on!

If you plan to beach him and get pics, you will need a cable with a snap to go around the gills. A 15ft dog tieout cut in half makes two.
                    Last edited by GarGuy; 08-07-2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Head half of a mullet is twice as good as tail half by the way.

Comment

So just cut big horse mullet in half and let it rip no weight- clicker and let them eat. Sounds easy enough to go drink a few beers and sit in pool
                        Last edited by glen; 08-07-2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Yep one thing is for certain, there will be a lot of beer drinking. Like G G said. Cut a horse mullet in half, I like running the wire leader down the throat and out the back snugging the hook up against the mouth. Makes for easier casting. Chunk it out free lined with the clicker or open bail. Let him run a few minutes. Then real line tight or let him pull you tight like trout fishing with croaker and set the hook. I like setting the hook with a tight drag and then backing it down.

One of my best trips catching gar was a bay trout trip with poco that got blown out. We headed up river to get out of the wind and fished for gar on trout tackle. We landed a few in the 3’-5’ range. What a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            So just cut big horse mullet in half and let it rip no weight- clicker and let them eat. Sounds easy enough to go drink a few beers and sit in pool
                            You gonna need a reel with plenty line if fishing from the bank. Letting the fish pull tight before setting the hook helps get the leader out of his teeth and back to corner of the mouth. When I have a gar running, I hold the rod pointed at him and feed the line out by hand so he feels nothing. Makes a difference on educated fish.

Comment

I catch them on the fly with a white super fuzzy fly that causes there teeth to get tangled, obviously I only do it when sight fishing….

Comment

Working...
                              X