Missing 23 year old hiker in Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing 23 year old hiker in Montana

Searchers no longer believe missing hiker Tatum Morell is alive, and they are scaling back their search efforts in the mountains near Red Lodge.

Morell, a 23-year-old Montana State University graduate student, last made contact with her family July 1 through an inReach satellite communicator, and the search began July 5, according to Red Lodge Fire
    Rescue.

Searchers believe Morell left her tent the morning of Friday, July 2, to scale a 12,000-foot peak and never returned. She had planned to scale five such mountain peaks in the West Fork of Rock Creek, and she'd been training since she was a child, according to Red Lodge rescuers.

“Unfortunately, there are hundreds of thousands of places that Tate could have gotten into trouble on these rugged mountains when the storms came into the area on Friday,” said Red Lodge Fire Chief Tom Kuntz. “After the extensive search efforts, we do not believe she survived.”

Red Lodge Fire Rescue and the Carbon County Sheriff’s Office will continue search efforts on a limited but continuous basis. There will be limited area searches by trained rescuers, investigation of specific identified targets, and periodic searches by search dog teams.

Her family asks that those wishing to help in search efforts or commemorate her life to donate in her honor to Red Lodge Fire Rescue.

Read the full news release from Red Lodge Fire below:

After nearly a week of intense search efforts for missing hiker Tatum Morell in the mountains near Red Lodge Montana, rescuers now believe it is unlikely she is still alive.

Rescuers have been searching extensively since July 5th for Tatum. Mountain rescue teams, search dog teams, and ground search teams have put hundreds of rescue hours into searching the area, including searching all possible routes, mountain peaks, ridges, as well as the area around her tent. Search efforts included multiple aerial searches by Red Lodge Fire Rescue, the Yellowstone County Sheriff’s office, Two Bear Air, the Army National Guard, and Gallatin County SAR. In addition to ground and air searching, the rescuers used multiple high resolution visual and infrared cameras, cell phone tracking, and Recco technologies. Tatum’s family has been in the area providing detailed information to search managers.

Rescuers have been searching the rugged mountains that rise above 12,000 feet since July 5th. The challenging search area contains countless rock fields, car-sized boulders, scree fields, and snowfields. Searching the area requires technical experience and advanced backcountry knowledge. The size of the search area and the difficulty of the terrain makes searching extremely dangerous to rescuers.

Tatum Morell was an avid and experienced hiker who planned to climb 5 mountain peaks over 12000’ in the West Fork of Rock Creek near Red Lodge Montana. She had prepared for these hikes through a lifetime of backcountry trips and adventures with her family and by herself. She backpacked into the area, camped at Shadow Lake on Thursday, July 1, and contacted her family via an InReach satellite communicator that evening. While Tatum was not due to return from her trip until last Monday, July 5th, search managers determined that she left her tent on Friday morning, July 2nd to summit a 12,000 foot peak. She never returned to her tent. It is believed that Tatum had a tragic accident and was unable to activate her inReach device. Based on the conditions, terrain, search effort, and the time she has been missing, her family, Red Lodge Search and Rescue, and the Carbon County Sheriff’s office believe it is not likely she survived. “Unfortunately, there are hundreds of thousands of places that Tate could have gotten into trouble on these rugged mountains when the storms came into the area on Friday”, said Incident commander Tom Kuntz. “After the extensive search efforts, we do not believe she survived”

Tatum’s family adds, “Tate was a fiercely independent, adventurous soul who loved the mountains. We find some solace in knowing she passed in a place she loved.”

Red Lodge Fire Rescue and the Carbon County Sheriff’s Office will continue search efforts on a limited but continuous basis for the foreseeable future. There will be limited area searches by trained rescuers, investigation of specific identified targets, and periodic searches by search dog teams.

“I am impressed with the outstanding commitment of all the volunteers on this search operation. Every search technique and technical capability was utilized.” said Josh McQuillan, Carbon County Sheriff. “We had support from local, state, regional and federal resources.

Tatum’s family, the Carbon County Sheriff's office, and Red Lodge Fire Rescue appreciate all of the efforts of the supporting agencies and organizations: Yellowstone County Sheriff, Gallatin County SAR, Park County WY SAR, Big Horn County SAR, , the US Forest Service, the Army National Guard, Montana FWP, Palisades Ranches, Jackson Hole Search Dogs, Absaroka Search Dogs, Western Montana Search Dogs, Coconino County Sheriff's Office, Gallatin County Sheriff's Office, MSU Police, Garmin InReach, Gaia GPS, the many people who volunteered time to search and support the effort and the many people who have offered their assistance. The family asks that people who wish to help in search efforts or commemorate Tatum’s life please make donations in her honor to Red Lodge Fire Rescue at redlodgefire.com
    Last edited by Katsaregood; 09-25-2021, 09:48 AM.

Shame and terrible
    Lots of things can get you in that country

Comment

If I ever go missing in the mountains, I hope my family/authorities don't give up the search after only 9 or 10 days. She could be out there with a broken leg or pinned under a boulder or something. Living off rainwater and body fat.

I understand resources/budgets but *****.

Comment

Prayers up for her and her family. Possibly a bear involved??

Comment

A lot of things can get you up here in the high country, even during the summer months. I pray her her and her family.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
            Prayers up for her and her family. Possibly a bear involved??
            Or another hiker...(conjecture)

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              If I ever go missing in the mountains, I hope my family/authorities don't give up the search after only 9 or 10 days. She could be out there with a broken leg or pinned under a boulder or something. Living off rainwater and body fat.

I agree, she could easily be alive after 10 days. That’s some big country out there and it can hide you well. Sad deal for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                That's what I was thinking. Start figuring out who knew she was going to be out there. Sounds like she had plenty of skill and experience to do some camping and hiking.

Comment

There are definitely bears in that area.

Ya if she fell and broke a leg, there’s no way she’d be able to drag herself very far if at all with that kind of excruciating pain.

I realize that is some challenging terrain but I’d be up there with help searching for her if I could get away. Need a personal locater beacon among other things.

Comment

Anyone know the area?
                    Are there developed trails to the peaks, or was she winging it, off the beaten path, in a wilderness type setting?

Comment

I grew up in that area, and have hiked some in that drainage. I think this is highly unlikely. There just aren't that many people in those mountains, even in the middle of summer.

Comment

Anyone know the area?
                        Are there developed trails to the peaks, or was she winging it, off the beaten path, in a wilderness type setting?
                        There are no well defined trails to most of the peaks in that area. There's a pass that runs 22 miles or something like that between trailheads, but it doesn't go to the peaks. As soon as you step off trail up there you're going to be boulder hopping, or trying to thread your way between cliffs, or hopping over deadfall for miles. It's a steep canyon, that has plenty of bear and moose to reckon with, without worrying about breaking a leg, or falling and hitting your head.
                        Last edited by Trumpkin; 08-07-2021, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Training for the climbs, love for the mountains, adventurous soul and fiercely independent. I wouldn’t give up on her being alive still. She maybe be in a difficult situation but people like that adapt and overcome situations. Hope she turns up

Comment

Prayers for a safe return.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

For real...seems like they gave up pretty quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X