tpwd youth draw hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tpwd youth draw hunts

Havent seen any reports. Didnt anyone go this year?

We didn't do TPWD draw hunts but we did go on 2 Texas Youth Hunting Program Hunts. VERY good program. My stepson shot a whitetail doe and blackbuck doe and my son shot an 8 point and a whitetail doe.

Comment

My daughter went to the fairfield lake sp youth antlerless. She missed a doe one day and shot a hog the next. Hog was so skinny hardly had any meat.

Comment

My daughter and son were drawn for a doe and spike hunt at Mason Mountain WMA. My daughter got a doe. We only saw 3 deer the entire trip and only had a shot at the one legal deer so my son didn't get one (but that's hunting). It was a fun trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191026_160309(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	24609268

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
          We didn't do TPWD draw hunts but we did go on 2 Texas Youth Hunting Program Hunts. VERY good program. My stepson shot a whitetail doe and blackbuck doe and my son shot an 8 point and a whitetail doe.
          We were also lucky through the TYHP. My son drew 2 hunts through their program. He killed 2 whitetail doe and an axis buck that was still in velvet on one hunt. He was skunked on the other hunt but everyone else (5 kids) shot at least one deer on that trip.

Comment

When do you sign up for these? I really need to sign my son up this year.

Comment

We have hunted the last 3 years with TYHP. When you sign up tell them it’s your first time. That will move you to the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RandyR2 View Post
                When do you sign up for these? I really need to sign my son up this year.
                The TPWD draw hunts usually drop the first week or so of July. The deadlines (date) for each hunt category vary however you'll be able to view all the hunts that are available at that time.

If you have any questions shoot me a p.m. and I'd be happy to share what little bit of knowledge I've picked up about draw hunts over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                  We have hunted the last 3 years with TYHP. When you sign up tell them it’s your first time. That will move you to the front.

And it's my understanding that if your kid has a friend in the TYHP system (already been on hunts) tell them that you were referred by that friend. It will attach their names together. If the first time applicants gets drawn then the friend gets to go also. That would be for the very first hunt only. After that you can't "apply" together.

Comment

You are crazy if you don’t sign up your kids on the Texas youth hunting program hunts. My son kills deer on our lease in OK and prefers that. But the 1:1 time that the TYHP provides is second to none.

Comment

I will definitely be looking into this more.

Comment

Shot my first deer on a TPWD youth hunt 24 years ago. Can’t hurt to put in for the draw.

Comment

Do you draw for multiple hunts or do you put in for individual hunts?

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                            My daughter and son were drawn for a doe and spike hunt at Mason Mountain WMA. My daughter got a doe. We only saw 3 deer the entire trip and only had a shot at the one legal deer so my son didn't get one (but that's hunting). It was a fun trip.

[ATTACH]993587[/ATTACH]
                            Go Big Blue!!!!!!!

Comment

I took my grandson to the Chaparral WMA youth hunt on standby. I believe they do 3 youth spike and doe hunts each fall. They also have hogs, warthogs, javalina, and coyote's on the menu. Some kids were overran with javalina, we didn't see any. Grandson killed his first deer, a doe that dressed 79 lbs. Pretty neat place to hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X