Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zeiss Terra ED 42 10x42 Binoculars - How Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeiss Terra ED 42 10x42 Binoculars - How Good?

Thinking of a Binocular upgrade, considering these. Have been using Nikon Monarch 3, 8X42s for several years - nothing really wrong with them, but I see these Zeiss are selling for around $330-$350.

If they'd be a significant upgrade, I'd probably buy some. But maybe they aren't much better than what I have.

How happy is anybody with their Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars?

I had a pair of them for about 2.5-3 years. In good light conditions, they were good not great but good enough. Early and really late in the day, I was not a fan of them at all. Always seemed very foggy/cloudy and darker then it really was. Coming from some vortex diamondback binos, they were a big step up but I wouldn't ever get another pair. I now have some Vortex Viper HDs that are way above the Terra EDs imo. I found them on sale for 300 at bass pro last year so I like why not. Overall, I would go another route over the terra EDs but if you can get them really cheap then why not.

Comment

Check out meopta optika line for that $. My goal is to save for the meopta meostar or maybe the GPO. Both seemed to be great binos for that $1000 mark.

Comment

Nikon monarch 5. I had a set of zeiss you mentioned. Got stolen out of my truck. They were solid. I have a set of monarch 5s they are better for the money.

Comment

Thanks for the input - just what I was looking for.

The Meopta Optika is looking very good - plus not made in China.

I really want to not give Nikon any more money - since they don't want to be associated with hunting & all that.

Comment

Would recommend you also check out Maven.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been using the Same Nikon monarch 12x42
              For nearly 20 years. Damm they've been great binoculars. I have A Louisiana buddy that
              Swears by the Meopta line and he's got plenty of $.. I just bought my wife
              Some Swarovski slc 8x42 she likes looking at birds while drinking her morning coffee..
              The zeiss scopes I have are both very nice..
              Everyone sees things differently through glass it seems, I would go for warranty and personal preference above all.. buy once cry once with glass..

Comment

pros-very clear. cons-the focus dial seemed way to touchy and it would never stay in place. always having to refocus them sucks.

Comment

I went with the Athlon Cronus UHD. They seem really nice, can't wait to get in the woods with them and really see how much I like them.

Athlon, as a relatively new company, seems to be offering a lot for the money. I'm sure gaining market share is no easy task.

Anyway, in reviews I found, these seem to be a standout in the $500 & under category and were rated better than some $1000 binoculars.

Looking for the best binoculars on the market and aren't quite sure which ones to purchase? Maybe you are looking for the best binoculars for hunting or the

Comment

I started doing some freelance work with Meopta 3 years ago after leaving a huge Japanese company, and I can assure you, there is nothing like European glass. Meopta is so well known for their glass that other companies buy from them and put it in their products. So, do you buy from the source or go elsewhere? Definitely, a tremendous value of quality over price when purchasing a Meopta product. I have used pretty much every product they make and not disappointed even one time. For sub-$500 the MeoPro 8/10x42 bino will get the job done. If you step up to the MeoPro Air or MeoStar Plus, it's a whole new world of viewing. If you do some research you will find that Meopta glass is known for its low light performance, exactly what we want as hunters. Meopta also offers an excellent program for LE/Mil/First Responders to support those who support us. I don't do any sales but I will be happy to try and answer any questions you might have regarding Meopta optics.

Comment

Originally posted by bman940 View Post
                      I can assure you, there is nothing like European glass. Meopta is so well known for their glass that other companies buy from them and put it in their products.
                      I agree 100% about the European glass. It should also be stated that Meopta buys their glass from Schott, which is made in Germany and owned by Zeiss. Meopta cuts and polishes their lenses in the Czech Republic. Most are aware that the Zeiss Conquest line of products are manufactured by Meopta using Schott glass and assembled in the USA

I’m pretty sure that Swarovski and Schmidt & Bender also use Schott glass. The lens coatings and polishing methods are done at their manufacturing facilities. Japanese glass such as Deon Optical Design is also super high-quality as it’s all about polishing and lens coatings.

Comment

Working...
                      X