New flounder Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    There is a major flounder population issue but it is not due to over fishing, it is due to the redfish population explosion over the last 15-20 years!!
    We have entirely too many redfish and they devour baby flounder... They eat juveniles of every species... Nothing is off limits..

Agreed. Wonder where are all those redfish are coming from?

Possibly the millions and millions of artificially introduced fingerlings from CCA hatcheries?

Comment

Originally posted by cgood11 View Post
      Surprised a thread hasn't been started about it yet or maybe I missed it. 15" instead of 14 and 0 bag limit Nov. 1 thru Dec 15th....I guess ill continue buying a Louisiana license. Sounds like CCA was pushing it hard. Contemplating boycotting the star tournament this year.
      Do not support the CCA. Seems they do more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        TPWD's presentation from the flounder scoping meetings is attached for anyone curious on the data used to come up with the proposals. I'd note the last two pages where a November and December closure along with an increased size limit shows a projected 58-60% increase in spawning biomass.

There are many contributing problems to flounder numbers, but the biggest problem is gulf water temperatures. Flounder are very susceptible to sea water temperatures getting out of a small range in the first three weeks.

Post metamorphisis temps that are in the ideal range result in a 50-50 distribution between males and females. Seawater temperature that are too warm lead to mostly male fish (up to 94% of the fish being male). Male fish grow to 10-12" and spend most of their life in the gulf.

The fish you catch in the bay are female fish.
        No offense brother, but La and Tx share the same gulf and there is no reduction in the flounder population there. The difference is they(La) have a more liberal Redfish bag limit.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
          I can tell you aren't familiar with my part of the state.. i fish sabine lake.. one side is Texas and the other Louisiana.. same water same 2 rivers feed it but I can keep more fish by launching 20 min from the house vs 5 min from the house ..
          Bingo

Comment

Hilarious

Comment

The red fish have become so prevalent, like the endangered red snapper.

I'm catching snapper in 600ft of water now. It's ridiculous. Grouper and other species of snapper are harder to come by, but those red snapper are there.

That fall run of flounder was fun for alot of folks.

Comment

Just what I'm seeing in a small area- last year was some of the best flounder fishing I've seen in years. I caught all sizes, big to small, I saw groups of flounder chasing bait and going airborne while they're doing it. This year, and it's early, I'm seeing fewer and smaller groups. It's early, this weekend I saw some bigger groups on the move so it looks promising again this year. But TP&W didn't ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  Yeah I’m in the water a lot, and I mean a lot, and flounder numbers are down. I only catch 4-6 a year. I don’t target them but bycatch flounder used to come more often. I sold my flounder boat several years ago, when it went to 5 fish. There’s a bunch of pressure on them, they’re pretty easy to gig. And also environmental factors that are affecting their numbers. There’s barely even a commercial market for flounder anymore or commercial take. Gigging boats and warm winters are the reason flounder populations are on the decline. Who do you think gives CCA more money, the handful of commercial flounder guys left, or the recreational anglers. Follow the money is with the recreational angler.
                  Yep, flounder boats loaded with 5-6 people can really do some work on flounder. Really easy to find if you have time.

Comment

Working...
                  X