Ladder Stand vs Lock on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladder Stand vs Lock on

Saw another thread about ladder stands and didn’t wanna hijack it. Those of you that have hunted out of both, which do you prefer? I don’t plan on setting up feeders in my bow spots. Maybe hand corn every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both have their place. The cheap variety of both…. Well they suck. A good loc on is about as versatile as they come

If I could only have 1… loc on

Comment

Loc-on

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        Saw another thread about ladder stands and didn’t wanna hijack it. Those of you that have hunted out of both, which do you prefer? I don’t plan on setting up feeders in my bow spots. Maybe hand corn every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        When I was younger, I was all about the lockons and will probably be the minority here, but I much prefer to hunt out of ladderstands now. I also don't use feeders, strictly hand corn areas that I found with lots of sign while scouting. I want the corn to attract does and then hopefully make a buck cruising thru hang around for a bit longer than usual. I'm not a huge fan of heights, so I prefer the most stability I can get when I'm 18-22 feet up in a tree and I feel like a ladderstand does that for me. I also used to use the foot pegs when using lockons and any type of mud or moisture and its like you're trying to climb icicles while climbing up to your stand. I'm a bigger guy (6'2", 245-265 depending) and that probably is another big factor when it comes to that.

I will also take sections of the ladder off though if I'm hunting an area that the best cover is 12' up. When my friends hunt with me they always comment that I only have 1 or 2 small shooting windows, but I prefer that over being caught drawing. In fact, my most productive stand is an 18 foot ladder stand that starts at the first leafy brush on the tree I'm in, but I have an equal size tree dead in front of me about 4-5 feet that I can shoot to either side of, but doesn't allow me to shoot straight in front. It keeps me hidden while deer come in and more often than not they start feeding between me and that tree and I'm able to draw when they are "in-line" with that tree and wait until they take a step out.

Comment

I prefer ladders but they don't work well for every tree.

Comment

Younger loc-on, Older ladder and climber. I just turned 60 and two years ago was the last time I put up a loc-on in Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
              Younger loc-on, Older ladder and climber. I just turned 60 and two years ago was the last time I put up a loc-on in Kansas.
              Very similar story here.

Comment

I prefer ladder stands but your limited to the trees you can set one up in so if I can't get a ladder stand in the tree, I will go with a lock on. I don't like any stand that the seat is fixed to the back of the stand so your basically sitting with your back against the tree. I like ones that have a platform with the seat in the middle of the platform on a pedestal so you can swivel the seat around. This gives you a lot more shooting options.

Comment

If its a good double ladder they work great. If you do a loc-on placing 2 next to each other works great. I like having room for my crap because I basically live up there.

Usually for loc-ons I use a chain and turnbuckle especially if I’m gonna leave them forever.

Best thing for the way I use my loc-ons (I have about 40 of them in different states) is, I leave them up with a rope hanging beside the tree and I use a summit climber bottom to scoot right up.

Personally I think all a ladder or tripods works best at about 7’ floor height.
                  Last edited by Johnny44; 07-07-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Ladder stands are ideal if you don’t plan on moving them.
                    I prefer lock on. When I need to move, doesn’t take long and can do it by myself. Ladder stands usually take at least 2 people to tear down and set up. Plus, I can place a lock on where I have cover.
                    I also will use a climber too.

Comment

Lock-ons take 10 times longer to set up and nowhere near as safe as a ladder stand.

Comment

Lock ons if you are only considering those and tree stands. However, over the past few years I have been hunting out of a turkey blind and chair. Its much more enjoyable for me as it allows you to be highly mobile and you have 360 degree field of vision.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                          I prefer ladder stands but your limited to the trees you can set one up in so if I can't get a ladder stand in the tree, I will go with a lock on. I don't like any stand that the seat is fixed to the back of the stand so your basically sitting with your back against the tree. I like ones that have a platform with the seat in the middle of the platform on a pedestal so you can swivel the seat around. This gives you a lot more shooting options.
                          What ladder stands do you use?

Comment

I’m about 90 percent ladders these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                              Lock-ons take 10 times longer to set up and nowhere near as safe as a ladder stand.
                              Sorry, but have to disagree about longer to set up. I can get mine up pretty quick.
                              Ladder stands, I have to have 2 other guys to put those up and those are the 2 man stands. Pain in the arse getting those up.

Comment

Working...
                              X