New feeder idea help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New feeder idea help

I am toying around with a new feeder idea at our ranch and I really have not seen anything like it anywhere. Its a corn spin feeder but my question is "if I attach the legs up the barrel a little higher than normal would it cause a problem?" Thinking of using 4 legs

The teal lines are where I'm thinking of attaching the legs on the barrel. Total height of the barrel would be around 6ft or so. What does the GS think?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No problem if it is in a pen or no cows, goats or horses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like basically a tall stand and fill. I would suggest making certain to protect the motor/spinner as it is low and especially if you have hogs. Also, using the 55 gallon barrel, I would highly recomend making certain the legs are secured to the ground to help keep it from being turned over. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
        No problem if it is in a pen or no cows, goats or horses.

Luckily no cows goats or anything. Don't have to worry about that issue

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
          Looks like basically a tall stand and fill. I would suggest making certain to protect the motor/spinner as it is low and especially if you have hogs. Also, using the 55 gallon barrel, I would highly recomend making certain the legs are secured to the ground to help keep it from being turned over. Good luck!
          We do have pigs and the low spinner is something I've been thinking about. With the legs mounted higher on barrel I was hoping that would help to prevent it from tipping over since the center of gravity would be lower to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
            I am toying around with a new feeder idea at our ranch and I really have not seen anything like it anywhere. Its a corn spin feeder but my question is "if I attach the legs up the barrel a little higher than normal would it cause a problem?" Thinking of using 4 legs

The teal lines are where I'm thinking of attaching the legs on the barrel. Total height of the barrel would be around 6ft or so. What does the GS think?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            If I were you, I would make some sort of collar around the feeder to attach the legs to. Instead of attaching the legs to the feeder itself. Also, if you ever damage the legs it wont ruin the barrel. Any time you drill holes into the barrel itself your going to get moisture in the barrel. This will clog up any feeder despite the best throwing mechanism you could put on it.

Comment

If I was going to mount it that high I would get a belly band for it and attach the legs to that. That way the legs do not push the sides of the barrel in. If you just weld them to the barrel it will eventually push the sides in from the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                If I was going to mount it that high I would get a belly band for it and attach the legs to that. That way the legs do not push the sides of the barrel in. If you just weld them to the barrel it will eventually push the sides in from the weight.
                This is what I was concerned about also. The band might not be a bad idea

Comment

Luckily no cows goats or anything. Don't have to worry about that issue
                  If you have Aoudad that feeder will be broken in a matter of days

Comment

I did this with a gravity feeder I made. Works fine, but it is inside a pen.

Fill it with 300lbs of corn regularly and does well.

I used the angled square tubing from an old plastic feeder and bolted straight to the outside. But I did put it near the rib and added a small, rectangle metal plate on the inside of each leg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Feeder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	24652821

J

Comment

I have one that I dropped down on short legs so I could fill it without a ladder. Works just fine. No livestock and I have a cage on the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                        We have had occasional issues with some of our barrel feeders "caving in" at the point where the legs attach as you show in your picture, We do have cows and a few pigs occasionally and no feed pens but I think it mostly happens when the feeder gets uneven or the legs slide out. If this is the route you go, I would be sure to get it as level as possible and put something under the legs to keep them from sinking and staked down to keep from sliding especially if the spot you are hunting tends to develop mud holes under the feeder.

Comment

This is what I was concerned about also. The band might not be a bad idea
                          Here is one I built that you can see the band on

Comment

I'd say you better buy or build the best coon cage you can afford!

Comment

My question is why attach them higher? What are you trying to accomplish? I think you would definitely need a band around the barrel with the legs that high. Hogs will have easier access to the motor/spinner if the top of the barrel is only 6’ high. You will need one heck of a cage to protect it.

Comment

Working...
                              X