Trailer Towing Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Towing Help!

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 with a 6.4 and 35’s. I pull my 30 ft travel trailer that weighs about 8,500 lbs. the first time I pulled it I had some sway and it bounced a lot. I have air bags and once I aired them up everything was good. I don’t use a weight distribution hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by basskicker24; 05-09-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Trailer has to be level

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        In addition to everything the others said, I'm not a fan of that spacer sleeve to get down to 2" hitch. Buy a 2.5" hitch and get rid of it. That sleeve in mine had tons of wobble and is too loose for my liking. Be sure that trailer and drop hitch height is correct, if it's not level a dual axle or even single to a lesser extent can pull weird and flop all over.
        ^^x2

Comment

Check the hitch setup, sounds like the truck is taller than the last one and there isn’t enough tension on the sway bars. If it’s to tongue heavy on the hitch it will whip the truck around like you are saying. When I pulled a 34ft camper even with my cummins I ran dual sway bars to keep it settled in the wind. Next trailer will be fifth wheel just for that reason.

Comment

Lots of thoughts here. Tomorrow whenever I hook up I'll take some pictures. We're at a level campsite so it should be a good take.

I've never had airbags before. The trailer really doesn't squat the truck much at all, which I thought was the main purpose of the air bag, to correct the squat.

Yes I didn't mean sway bars, I mean the spring bars. My last setup was a tundra pulling a 7000lb camper. It pulled like a freaking dream. The spring bars on it were insanely tight and hard to get on. It popped and chirped with turning.

I assumed as this one was set up for my truck at the travel trailer dealership that they'd have set it up well. Which in reality makes me feel foolish.

Comment

Your bumping the outer limit of the Power Wagon's capabilities. The 2021 Power Wagon with RamBox is rated for 10,290. Without the RamBox, 10,580. That's about 6,000 pounds less than a non-Power Wagon 2500 with the 4.10 rear end (which the Power Wagon has). Add in yesterday's wind and the potential hitch problems others have noted, it's not surprising you had issues. Even if the hitch was configured correctly, a 35 foot, 9000 pound trailer in that wind is gonna be a little challenging.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by itsgood1308 View Post
                We just bought a new 2021 Ram Power Wagon with the 6.4 hemi. It's sitting on 35s at about 80lbs of air pressure. I knew that it wasn't going to have the full towing capacity of the usual 2500s due to the off road design of it all, but yesterday pulling the camper was a mess. We've got a 9000lb camper, 35' total length. Yesterday it was certainly stupid windy, but our new truck was getting man handled by the trailer. We were barely able to go over 60mph yesterday without it getting too squirrelly back there.

Here's what I've noticed so far:

My spacer in the receiver hitch wobbles a hair, it's a universal sleeve.
                On my last setup I really had to lift up the back of the truck to hook up my sway bars. Here, I don't at all. In fact, whenever we got to the camp site I was able to get them off almost by hand. My truck also has air bags, should I mess with those?

Any ideas or thoughts?

I'm positive news, the lulling power in itself is nice.
                A trailer of that size is going to manhandle a proper 3/4 to regardless when the wind is blowing like crazy. You go to the softer suspension of the Power Wagon and it’ll be MUCH more noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
                  Windy days can be no fun to tow something since the trailer is basically just a big wind sail. Check the trailer tire pressure. If they aren’t the same it can impact the tow. If you really want to eliminate trailer sway check out propridehitch.com

Wow! $$$ Do you have a Pro Pride Hitch?

Comment

Post a pic of your rig all hooked up. I’m pretty sure I know what’s wrong but would like to see a pic

Comment

Originally posted by philcam View Post
                      Wow! $$$ Do you have a Pro Pride Hitch?

We recently sold our travel trailer, but we had a Pro Pride hitch. It was worth the money and totally eliminated the trailer away. The owner of the company is super responsive and answered all my questions before and after the sale.

Comment

I may be wrong with todays rigs, but years ago a camper place told me the front of the truck should go down about as much as the rear hitch when properly hooked up.

Comment

Check out the Equalizer weight distribution hitch. They are awesome for sway control also.

Comment

Wind. Gusts to 40-45 mph. where I was at yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by itsgood1308 View Post
                              Lots of thoughts here. Tomorrow whenever I hook up I'll take some pictures. We're at a level campsite so it should be a good take.

I've never had airbags before. The trailer really doesn't squat the truck much at all, which I thought was the main purpose of the air bag, to correct the squat.

Yes I didn't mean sway bars, I mean the spring bars. My last setup was a tundra pulling a 7000lb camper. It pulled like a freaking dream. The spring bars on it were insanely tight and hard to get on. It popped and chirped with turning.

I assumed as this one was set up for my truck at the travel trailer dealership that they'd have set it up well. Which in reality makes me feel foolish.

If the trailer didn’t squat the truck at all then you have too little tongue weight. This can be helped by how the trailer is loaded, I even moved my spare tire off the back bumper and put it under the front bed. Until you reach max tongue weight the more you can get up front the better.

Comment

I kinda get lost in all the do dads the truck Market has , and am a simpleton, and could live with 1/2 ton being gas with max tow 9000, 3/4 gas only max tow 14,000
                                Then 1 ton only one offered with a 1000 lbs torque diesel or gasoline choice for HD towing
                                Raptor and power wagon , rampage no towing equipment ( they are specifically designed for off-road) , IMO you can plow a field with a mule , but not with a jackrabbit
                                Let the mules do the work and the jackrabbits do the running around
                                Who ever decided to put a 2 1/2 hitch on a under rated truck should be kicked in the taint

Comment

Working...
                                X