Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

Default Weekend in East Texas

Ladies and Gents,

I have lived in Texas all my life, but have never really ventured much into East Texas. I am not really sure where those of you that live there call the "border line" of your area, but I would like to spend a weekend during the spring. I do not have a certain specific location in mind, but I am thinking Longview east along 20, and from that northern line, south to Huntsville and east to the state line as an area to check out. I know that is a big area to ask about, but I honestly do not have much of a clue. Sure I can google it, but I would rather have some direct info from those of you that live in those areas. What are the "must do's, must see's, must eat"? Where to stay, and use $200 or less per night as your guideline. I truly enjoy reading about those of you that live in that part of Texas, you have a lingo and lifestyle much different than this hill country cedar chopper.
Thanks!
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Check out caddo lake for sure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Anthonysince94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rains/Hunt county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
Check out caddo lake for sure.

Caddo Lake is very cool and Jefferson has a cool shopping area downtown. There is a cornbread place people line up for that I have never eaten at, due to not wanting to stand in line, but the BBQ place next door is very good and not much of a line. Gladewater has a cool downtown for shops and antiques. The Sabine National Forest is also a beautiful place to drive through. I would suggest staying away from Tyler due to the CRAZY traffic. Canton is fun with the wife and the tacos shop out by I-20 is amazing. On Target Archery is also just west of Canton and has a cool 3D range and virtual reality indoor hunting course, if yo want to take your bow along for the ride. If you get to Lindale you will have to eat at either BBQ Love of Bodacious BBQ.
dpg481 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
Rwc
Pope & Young

I would recommend making it all the way to SH 87 and take a day to venture around Shelby, Sabine, Jasper counties. Not sure it gets more deep east Texas than San Augustine, Center, Hemphill, Jasper etc., etc. But I would be partial due to spending most of my teen years in Sabine County.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
I would recommend making it all the way to SH 87 and take a day to venture around Shelby, Sabine, Jasper counties. Not sure it gets more deep east Texas than San Augustine, Center, Hemphill, Jasper etc., etc. But I would be partial due to spending most of my teen years in Sabine County.

Rwc
This would be my suggestion also. I hunt that area and love it! Not mention your minutes from Toledo Bend and about 25 to 30 mins from Rayburn. Nacogdoches is right there also, oldest town in Texas

Last edited by hogslayer78; 01-13-2021 at 02:21 PM.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
Garbuster
Six Point

Hunt In: Cass,Marion,Delta, and Fulton Ill

Caddo
Garbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
TCRČ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post

Rwc
This ^^^

While there's not much to do or see in Jasper (retirement town), we do have Sam Rayburn north of us about 12 miles. Spring time is the second best time of the year to fish Big Sam. There's a ton of RV places to stay at around the lake and some marinas have cabins you can rent at a fairly decent price. The Neches/Angelina River Dam B WMA is west of town about 15 miles. Bring a yak/canoe and spend a day or two paddling these rivers, it's well worth it.
TCRČ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #8
etbowhunter
Four Point

Jefferson usually has several events over the weekends in the spring. I would probably pick there just because you're going to be new to the area and with a weekend (assume arriving Friday afternoon and leaving out Sunday afternoon early) as your time limit, you will want a variety of things to do without having to spend much time traveling. Having said that, Nacogdoches, Gladewater, or Lindale would all be good options as well.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
Slicefixer
Eight Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Just as others have suggested.....

I'd start in Beaumont and start north up through Jasper, St.Augustine, up to Caddo and spend a day or two. Once the wandering journey is completed you'll have a pretty good feel for East Texas. The drive alone will do that, but, Caddo is like stepping back in time, a loooooooong way back.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #10
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Plan your trip for when the dogwoods are blooming.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #11
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Caddo is a must see. Take a boat tour. I believe the state park there has cabins.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #12
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Good advice so far. Might camp a night at Ratcliff Lake . If you like hiking there us a long trail from the lake all the way into Big Slough wilderness.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:51 PM   #13
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
Plan your trip for when the dogwoods are blooming.
U beat me too it. Like the hill country bloom but in reverse.
Bodacious BBQ definitely with Caddo Lake.....the only natural lake in the Lone Star state. It reminds me of what I grew up in SE Louisiana........half of Caddo lake is actually in Louisiana. The drive north out of Jefferson/Marshall is nice also.....which would be between I-20 and I-30 that would make a nice loop thru east Texas. I covered all of east Texas for a decade with BASF as the forestry and "right away" chemical rep. It's pretty interesting and totally different than the national impression of Texas. Probably more like Central and North Louisiana honestly. Most mid size town now have Hampton inns, Fairfield inns, holiday inns, etc. Not hard to find very decent lodging at fair rates. Thx for the reminder as I need to geaux up to Hooks, TX soon to check on my wife's family land and ours since the neighbors have decided to hunt on it....lol

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #14
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
Ladies and Gents,

I have lived in Texas all my life, but have never really ventured much into East Texas. I am not really sure where those of you that live there call the "border line" of your area, but I would like to spend a weekend during the spring. I do not have a certain specific location in mind, but I am thinking Longview east along 20, and from that northern line, south to Huntsville and east to the state line as an area to check out. I know that is a big area to ask about, but I honestly do not have much of a clue. Sure I can google it, but I would rather have some direct info from those of you that live in those areas. What are the "must do's, must see's, must eat"? Where to stay, and use $200 or less per night as your guideline. I truly enjoy reading about those of you that live in that part of Texas, you have a lingo and lifestyle much different than this hill country cedar chopper.
Thanks!
Hiway 87 is a nice drive. SETx has some really nice wineries. Wild Azalea Canyons are pretty nice to see. If you decide to ride 87, go East at Milam, cross T-Bend at the Pendleton bridge and go to Many, La and see the Hodges Gardens. If you go as far West as Huntsville, go by Ables Ammo/Sporting. March, April is a great time to go.
Ifyou do go to Huntsville, take 105 to Cleveland, 1725 to Hway150(Texas Forest Trail) to New Waverly, then 45 to Huntsville, its a pretty drive.

You didn't say if you are going on motorcycles, but if you are all those are nice rides.

Hope this helps
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
Caddo Lake is very cool and Jefferson has a cool shopping area downtown. There is a cornbread place people line up for that I have never eaten at, due to not wanting to stand in line, but the BBQ place next door is very good and not much of a line.
Stay away from the cornbread place, but Riverport BBQ is legit.

Spend a weekend at Caddo. I know a guy that leases his house on the lake (think VRBO, but independently), it's a great place if you're interested.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #16
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

Wow, lots of good suggestions. Sounds like Caddo is the place to go when the dogwoods are blooming. So when do they bloom? I am thinking a mid-March trip. No going on a motorcycle. Any boudin in those areas? Love that stuff!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #17
Slicefixer
Eight Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
Stay away from the cornbread place, but Riverport BBQ is legit.

Spend a weekend at Caddo. I know a guy that leases his house on the lake (think VRBO, but independently), it's a great place if you're interested.
Riverport is owned by a good friend of mine.....i concur!
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #18
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rains/Hunt county

Quote:
Wow, lots of good suggestions. Sounds like Caddo is the place to go when the dogwoods are blooming. So when do they bloom? I am thinking a mid-March trip. No going on a motorcycle. Any boudin in those areas? Love that stuff!

There is a Cajun place in Marshall that is said to have great gumbo and boudin. I normally plan my travels around the quality of BBQ I can find.
dpg481 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #19
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

If you do decide to pass through Tyler & BBQ is what you are after, try Stanley’s Pit BBQ near the hospitals
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #20
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

I am always after BBQ. Thanks for those suggestions.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:03 PM   #21
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I like Caddo................
But, I'm kinda partial to Toledo Bend area...........
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #22
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Holly Lake Ranch, Look it up. Holiday Inn has rental cabins and duplex's, ETC. Holly Lake has some rentals also. East of Mineola, West of Longview, North of 20, and 80.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #23
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Don't forget about beautiful lake Houston. Minutes from Porter where the elite TBHs live

Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #24
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Don't forget about beautiful lake Houston. Minutes from Porter where the elite TBHs live

Lol!

Sierracharlie out....
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #25
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I always enjoy the drive north out of Woodville on Hwy 69, catching Recreation Road 255 to the east. 255 takes you through the Angelina National Forest and across the Sam Rayburn **** which is pretty. Then you can hit Hwy 96 and turn north and go to San Augustine. San Augustine has a nice little downtown window shopping area. There's also some historical landmarks there that might be worth checking out.

If you want to divert slightly from that path, I hear the space shuttle Columbia museum in Hemphill is worth seeing.

Then you could turn north and go up Through Carthage and Marshall on your way to Caddo.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 06:37 PM   #26
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Come on now Pat, we can't all live in Shepherd 😜
Old 01-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Make sure you go bass fishing. East Texas has a ton of incredible lakes. Caddo is a MUST see. Our lodge on Lake Fork was designated by Sports Afield Magazine as one of the "Top Foishing Lodges in North America". However, its $995 per night.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #28
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
Caddo Lake is very cool and Jefferson has a cool shopping area downtown. There is a cornbread place people line up for that I have never eaten at, due to not wanting to stand in line, but the BBQ place next door is very good and not much of a line. Gladewater has a cool downtown for shops and antiques. The Sabine National Forest is also a beautiful place to drive through. I would suggest staying away from Tyler due to the CRAZY traffic. Canton is fun with the wife and the tacos shop out by I-20 is amazing. On Target Archery is also just west of Canton and has a cool 3D range and virtual reality indoor hunting course, if yo want to take your bow along for the ride. If you get to Lindale you will have to eat at either BBQ Love of Bodacious BBQ.
X2
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #29
Rotney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Palestine, take the train ride

If you make it to San Augustine, Mary Kay’s Diner on 96 is good groceries.

You can stay in Center for about $80 a night at the holiday inn express so you will have access to Nacogdoches, San Augustine, Carthage, and you’re 65 miles to bossier city.
Rotney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #30
UncertainHunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Uncertain

Everyone has made good suggestions and to answer your questions on the borderline; you will know you are in East Texas once you are on the other side of the Pine Curtain. Caddo and Big Thicket are must visits if you’re going to East Texas for the nature. If you are looking for history and culture you would be hard pressed to beat Nacogdoches, Marshall, or Jefferson. My advice is two trips since you only have a weekend. One trip for NE Texas focusing on Marshall/Jefferson/Caddo. Watch out for bigfoot when you are in Uncertain. If you go to Caddo from Marshall find stagecoach road off 43. It’s right outside of Marshall and will take you almost to Jefferson. It’s narrow and the road can get rough after some weather unless you have a 4x4 but definitely worth the drive if you have a vehicle that can handle it. The other trip I would base out of Nac and then go down south to Big Thicket in a day and see SE Texas. As far as food I would say in the NE area I would recommend Stillwater Inn for a special occasion in Jefferson but I’m kinda low brow and always end up at Auntie Skinners because the booze is cheap and strong with a decent burger. Big Pines used to be the place to eat at Caddo but it’s not what it was before the fire. If you want to eat on the lake I would go with RiverBend. If you are going cheap route the Lighthouse in Karnack has GREAT burger. It might look a little rough one the outside but everyone is nice. This is probably good advice for a lot of East Texas in general if you have never been.
UncertainHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #31
Monark
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler County, Woodville

I grew up in SE Texas and still hunt in Tyler County. I can't recommend spending any vaction time or money anywhere south of 190 from Livingston to Jasper. The Meth heads will steal you blind if given the chance. The northern places others mentioned here will probably be better if you are just dead set on seeing East Texas.
Monark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #32
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

The Pickett House Restaurant in Woodville. You are welcome.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #33
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I second the Pickett house! I forgot about that place. Some of the best home cooking you ever had
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #34
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Cedar Tree Lodge in Jasper
Old 01-13-2021, 11:48 PM   #35
TxTyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monark View Post
I grew up in SE Texas and still hunt in Tyler County. I can't recommend spending any vaction time or money anywhere south of 190 from Livingston to Jasper. The Meth heads will steal you blind if given the chance. The northern places others mentioned here will probably be better if you are just dead set on seeing East Texas.
True that on the meth heads. About 5 years back I got a call from the Woodville car impound. Turns out a tweaker broke in to our barn, stole my Honda Rancher and found himself in a high speed chase (impound guys words not mine) on my 4 wheeler with 2 police cars in tow. He bailed on the side of the road and elluded them on foot. My 4 wheeler was towed. Ended up spending $500 to get my 4 wheeler back. Smh...

TxTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:51 PM   #36
TxTyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
I second the Pickett house! I forgot about that place. Some of the best home cooking you ever had
Third for the Pickett House. I've had a few geat memories with family there.

TxTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 12:26 AM   #37
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

be very careful.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 06:32 AM   #38
Jaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ace, SHNF, DCNF

Check out artesian lakes if you’re looking for a place to stay around Cleveland.
Jaker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #39
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Really surprised to not see Nacogdoches recommendations. Lots of Texas History. Cool little town too.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #40
TCRČ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

Quote:
the pickett house restaurant in woodville. You are welcome.
yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
cedar tree lodge in jasper
no!
TCRČ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #41
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Pizza Hut in Diboll.
Whataburger in Corrigan.
Joy Juice outside Shepherd.

Last edited by Bayouboy; 01-14-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #42
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Last edited by tps7742; 01-14-2021 at 08:34 AM.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #43
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

No value add here, but..... People lining up for cornbread? I've ate a lot of cornbread in my life. But none of it would have me waiting in line for it.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #44
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Pizza Hut in Diboll.
Whataburger in Corrigan.
Joy Juice outside Shepherd.
Don't leave out McClains if he needs to stop for any groceries lol!

That whataburger in Corrigan is great! Stop there every trip to lease
Old 01-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #45
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

I am thinking Nacogdoches might be the landing point, and branch out from there. I think you are right in that it will have to be more than a weekend to catch all the stuff you guys say are the "must see", but time is limited till the summer. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am making a list and mapping it all out. Much obliged!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #46
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Definately!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #47
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am thinking Nacogdoches might be the landing point, and branch out from there. I think you are right in that it will have to be more than a weekend to catch all the stuff you guys say are the "must see", but time is limited till the summer. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am making a list and mapping it all out. Much obliged!
West and south west of nacogdoches 8s dine of the prettiest country in Texas. DCNF, ratcliff lake, Big Slough wilderness
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #48
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRČ View Post
yes!

no!
Well, whats wrong with the Cedar Tree Lodge?

I have eaten there and its good or was.

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-14-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #49
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
Don't leave out McClains if he needs to stop for any groceries lol!

That whataburger in Corrigan is great! Stop there every trip to lease
Lol! I almost added McClains. Wasn’t sure he would be dressed appropriately
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top