Drawn Gus engeling WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn Gus engeling WMA

Finally got drawn , drew GE wma at the end of November. Any tips on the area or any success stories I would love to hear them, also any places to pull a rv close by ??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and my crew got drawn for that segment as well... Already got our spots picked out... Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good draw that’s the one I wanted most. I duck hunt the place and it’s great. Lots of wildlife with some really nice deer. Even abunch of turkeys. A lot of it will depend on which compartment you get.

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
        Me and my crew got drawn for that segment as well... Already got our spots picked out... Lol

Awesome !!! I’m assuming we get assigned a certain area the day of ??

Comment

Originally posted by Rivershack21 View Post
          Good draw that’s the one I wanted most. I duck hunt the place and it’s great. Lots of wildlife with some really nice deer. Even abunch of turkeys. A lot of it will depend on which compartment you get.

Good to know , thank you sir.

Comment

It's our first time getting drawn for this area

Comment

This is where my son killed his first 2 deer. Both doe and he shot them about 20 minutes apart. Think he was around 9 or 10. He is now in his 20’s, so that’s been a few years ago. Back then, the compartments were lettered. Now I believe they are numbered. When he killed his deer, it was a doe/spike only hunt. The first evening, we got to see a massive 10 point and a nice 8. That was hard on a kid!!!

Comment

You will be asked which sections you would like to hunt and they will be assigned to the hunters while you are going thru the orientation. You get 3 choices.
                The sections are assigned according to how many people in your group and what kind of vehicle you have- 2 wd vs. 4wd as some of the sections are prone to flooding and soft sand makes traversing the areas difficult.
                If your party is small you may be asked to share with another group or a single hunter-like me.
                All of the sections have a healthy deer population. Hogs are prolific/everywhere and you are encouraged to thin the population out as much as possible. Turkeys are not on the hunting list ever because they are still attempting to establish a healthy population.
                There are 3 campgrounds for the wma but none provide electricity. The main one is right off hwy 287 at the main entrance gate. It has communal water and showers/restrooms. The other 2 are on the county road that splits the wma into north and south sections. They both have screened cabins available and it is first come/first served.
                In my opinion there is no 'best way' to hunt GE. Hunt the way you're most comfortable and just have fun. I personally have shot deer and hogs from the ground, tree stands, stools on a trail/creek/spring/ridge, leaning against a tree, standing along side the road!
                The deer there do have a "pattern" that they follow according to side you hunt on-north vs. south but it's pretty easy to figure out.
                See you there.

Comment

I heard they were going to the E-postcard like Richland Creek did for these archery hunts next year going forward, anyone confirm this?

Comment

Pretty piece of property and there are deer and hogs there. Not an easy hunt though. Saw tons of hog activity (cleaned up our corn every night) but never saw one during the day. My experience is you do not see as many deer as you would expect to see based on the sign.

Several "live hunts' posted in the last few years so I would search for them. Some good info out there.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                      Pretty piece of property and there are deer and hogs there. Not an easy hunt though. Saw tons of hog activity (cleaned up our corn every night) but never saw one during the day. My experience is you do not see as many deer as you would expect to see based on the sign.

Several "live hunts' posted in the last few years so I would search for them. Some good info out there.
                      This is spot on, the private land around the WMA is pounded and I mean pounded hard! With covid last year I'm sure it was insane, smart and pressured deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                        You will be asked which sections you would like to hunt and they will be assigned to the hunters while you are going thru the orientation. You get 3 choices.
                        The sections are assigned according to how many people in your group and what kind of vehicle you have- 2 wd vs. 4wd as some of the sections are prone to flooding and soft sand makes traversing the areas difficult.
                        If your party is small you may be asked to share with another group or a single hunter-like me.
                        All of the sections have a healthy deer population. Hogs are prolific/everywhere and you are encouraged to thin the population out as much as possible. Turkeys are not on the hunting list ever because they are still attempting to establish a healthy population.
                        There are 3 campgrounds for the wma but none provide electricity. The main one is right off hwy 287 at the main entrance gate. It has communal water and showers/restrooms. The other 2 are on the county road that splits the wma into north and south sections. They both have screened cabins available and it is first come/first served.
                        In my opinion there is no 'best way' to hunt GE. Hunt the way you're most comfortable and just have fun. I personally have shot deer and hogs from the ground, tree stands, stools on a trail/creek/spring/ridge, leaning against a tree, standing along side the road!
                        The deer there do have a "pattern" that they follow according to side you hunt on-north vs. south but it's pretty easy to figure out.
                        See you there.

Thank you sir for the info , see you soon !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X