CNC router projects! who has one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
    Great job on all of these!! Is there a name or something written on the top of Texas on the wine glass things?
    Nothing written on them, just the outline, cut out, and ring hole

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
      For you DIY guys that run a cnc router at home for a hobby what do you think the best cnc is on a budget?
      I like Shapeoko. Good hobby machine.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
        For you DIY guys that run a cnc router at home for a hobby what do you think the best cnc is on a budget?
        It really depends on what you want to do.
        Less expensive machines are affordable but tend to run at slower feedrates and shallower depth of cuts. If you are doing mdf painted signs they would be great. Hardwoods, I would think the increased time would price you out of resonable markets.

Look at the difference between machines that use routers and those that use spindles. My machine has an all welded steel base, linear guides, ball screws, and stepper motors with a 2.2kw spindle. The bed is 24x36 with a 5" Z axis. New it costs $7900, but I found this one on CL for $3400. It paid for itself in 90 days.

Doing clearance cuts for bowls/trays, I can do 1/2" deep cut with 1/2" diameter carbide endmill running at 150 inches per minute. Hobby machines won't come close to that.

There is a ton if info on the web to help compare and decide what is best for your budget, materials, and time allowance.

The attached picture is Brazilian Purple Heart and by far the worst wood I have touched so far. I had to cut all my parameters by 50% and it still made me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
          It really depends on what you want to do.
          Less expensive machines are affordable but tend to run at slower feedrates and shallower depth of cuts. If you are doing mdf painted signs they would be great. Hardwoods, I would think the increased time would price you out of resonable markets.

Look at the difference between machines that use routers and those that use spindles. My machine has an all welded steel base, linear guides, ball screws, and stepper motors with a 2.2kw spindle. The bed is 24x36 with a 5" Z axis. New it costs $7900, but I found this one on CL for $3400. It paid for itself in 90 days.

Doing clearance cuts for bowls/trays, I can do 1/2" deep cut with 1/2" diameter carbide endmill running at 150 inches per minute. Hobby machines won't come close to that.

There is a ton if info on the web to help compare and decide what is best for your budget, materials, and time allowance.

The attached picture is Brazilian Purple Heart and by far the worst wood I have touched so far. I had to cut all my parameters by 50% and it still made me nervous.

Good information! I hope to get one some day.

Purpleheart sucks! It always seems to splinter and give me problems when I've used it. Actually trying to make it work on a project now.

Comment

I would love to have one of these

Comment

****, now I want to go build somwthing

Comment

Fun stuff happening here. Full spalted Pecan looks like camo!

Comment

This guy was sent to my friend in Alaska who just got hitched. He loves hunting moose and she loves Candula flowers.

Comment

Finished these cutting and cheese boards last night.
                    Cutting board 1-1/2" thk x 12" w 17-1/2"
                    Cheese board 3/4" thk x 5" w 16"
                    Texas Pecan soaked in mineral oil for 24 hours and finished with beeswax
                    Attached Files

Comment

Made these guys this past week. One to an LEO, one to New Hampshire and one to a local family.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, looks like I'm the only one.
                        Cigar and whiskey trays have been hot the last couple months.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice work!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                            Well, looks like I'm the only one.
                            Cigar and whiskey trays have been hot the last couple months.
                            Maybe the only one using theirs!! ha ha. I need to get back at it!

Comment

Looks like I am going to have an opportunity to go full-time wood working. Man, that's a scary thought. We will be debt free except mortgage and routine bills, internet, insurance, child support, etc.

Comment

A few more in process

1. Chessboard, sanded and them with epoxy coat.
                                Next it will go onto machine for dark square pockets and then more epoxy work.Spalted pecan endgrain. Solid piece 2.75" thk

2. Gentlemen wanted a plaque made of his gate. Mesquite live edge then pecan with vinyl to allow painting of the engraved fenced sections.

3. Family sign. Pecan

4. Poem my mom wrote in 1989 to her Pastor. Pecan

5. Custom family sign. 2.25" thk solid pecan
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X