No announcement yet.

Chevy Duromax 3.0 V6 diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d like to know actual mileage with a small boat. My ‘16 GMC 5.3 will get 22 unloaded but with a small 18’ boat it drops to less than 10. In high school my 73 gmc would get better than that towing my boat

Comment

I have the 2020 GMC and pulling my camper (6500) get around 13-14 on a longer trip. 10-12 in town. I love it. 24-26 in town and close to 30 highway not pulling.

Comment

We sold our fifth wheel two years ago and got a motorhome. No need for my 3/4 ton any longer. The mpg gain will be amazing. Only thing I will be towing is my mule a couple of times a year to the lease.
        I guess I will find out now first hand. Pulled the trigger on this 2020 today. Z71, Texas Edition, 4x4 with 4780 miles.
        Thanks for all the input fellas.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice truck. You will love it

Comment

Nice

Comment

I have a 2021 1500 and love it. Get 28-29 in the city. When driving on trips I go around 80 mph so I average around 26-27 MPG. Pulled a 24' boat and got 23 MPG.

Comment

For the record it’s an in line 6 not a V6.

Look up the maintenance schedule on them. There are a few odd duck thinks at 150k miles. If you don’t keep a vehicle that long then disregard.

I would consider one in a Tahoe/Suburban and a GMC truck if I were looking for a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My wife has a 2021 Suburban with the duramax in it. We drove to Destin last week and averaged 25 mpg. Thats with 4x4 and going about 85 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                    I have a 2021 2wd with 8500 miles…

I’d say I avg 27, I’ve gotten 32 on a 50 mile trip to work. Usually I can get 28-29 on highway
                    You don't drive much... lol

Comment

I have to ask.... What are the benefits of a 1/2 ton diesel? I actually have been driving an 03 Dodge/2500/5.9 since it was new (18 years). I plan on keeping it a few more years since it just hit 160,000, but I no longer need a diesel since I sold our camper 3 years ago.

Comment

I’m glad this was posted. I’m planning on replacing the wife’s Acadia next year and have been really interested in the duramax for the suburban.

Comment

This is on my short list for my next truck. I want to see the 2022 Tundra first. I drove one in February when I was working near Boston, MA and really liked it. I joined a Facebook 3.0 Duramax group to research them before buying. Unfortunately, there are quite a few issues posted. The one I drove had a "clunk" in the rear end. That turns out to be a somewhat common problem, supposedly from the springs when you let off the throttle.

• Rear main oil seal suddenly failing.
                          • Crank, no start. The engine will crank for about 10 seconds but not start.
                          • Radio and screen issues, flickering, changing on its own, etc.
                          • Using a lot of DEF when towing

All that said, the reported problems seem to be less often on that site. I will still consider one when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                            I have to ask.... What are the benefits of a 1/2 ton diesel? I actually have been driving an 03 Dodge/2500/5.9 since it was new (18 years). I plan on keeping it a few more years since it just hit 160,000, but I no longer need a diesel since I sold our camper 3 years ago.

The fuel mileage can be 30+ on the highway and low to mid 20s in town. If you only tow a boat or about 7,000 pounds occasionally, it will do that and get roughly 12-18 mpg, depending on load and driving habits.

Comment

Just got a 2.8 duramax in a 2016 Colorado. Seems like a great motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                For the record it’s an in line 6 not a V6.

Look up the maintenance schedule on them. There are a few odd duck thinks at 150k miles. If you don’t keep a vehicle that long then disregard.

I would consider one in a Tahoe/Suburban and a GMC truck if I were looking for a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you don’t keep it that long you’ll never actually catch up on the fuel savings since the 5.3 is cheaper. I did a whole spreadsheet on it when I was looking to buy a new truck and you have to keep them a while to even come close to breaking even with fuel savings. Didn’t factor in the added cost of DEF or more expensive maintenance either.

My BIL has one and loves it, but has had a couple of the issues noted above. Personally, I’d wait another year or so to let them work out the rest of the kinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X