No announcement yet.

Treating trailer deck boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use motor oil. When I change the oil in one of our vehicles I mop it on and let it sit in the sun.. i don't care if there's a little residue my 4 wheeler is usually muddy when I come home from the lease..
    After 4 or 5 treatments I lightly pressure washed the deck and 90 % of the residue came off just leaving the oil that soaked in..

Comment

Do you guys change the boards your self when they get too bad or are there places that replace them?

Comment

I used old motor oil once.I'll never do it again.If you ever gotta lay down on it,it'll get all over you.I was changing a drive belt on a mower,and looked like I worked at jiffy lube,when I got done..The boards were in good shape when I did it,and it never did absorb it all.Maybe put 2 quarts on 6x12 boards.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
          Do you guys change the boards your self when they get too bad or are there places that replace them?

Change myself.
          You can either cut off (grinder) the ~1” flat bar at the end holding them down then re-weld or use a jack in the center to put a hefty bow in and slide underneath.
          I’ve done it both ways, cutting the 1” flat bar was easier for me. Putting a huge bend in a 12-14’ board gets sketchy. I would say the longer the board the less sketchy that option would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Used motor oil.
            I've got a 10' flat bed that I bought new 21 years ago, still has the original wood. All I've done is treat them with motor oil a few times.

Comment

Working...
            X