Silver skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    I never remove it from my ribs and I’ve never experienced less smoke flavor, tough meat or anything else negative. Mine taste just like everyone else’s that does remove it. As far as being tough to chew...there’s no meat on that side of the rib so no one eats it. I’ve smoked a lot of ribs in my day and nobody has ever complained about the silver skin being left on and everyone comes back for more.
    Waste of time in my opinion.
    Yep. It helps hold the meat on the bone. I don't really care for the falling off the bone ribs. I like to eat em like corn on the cob.

Comment

Short, fast cooking turns it into a rubbery rock, but slow&low cooking turns it into gold. Fillet it off the backstraps, slice it in short strips, and throw it in the crockpot for any long-simmering stew or soup. It’s collagen, it’ll break down into a soft little nibble and it’ll make the broth richer.

Comment

I leave it on my ribs. Never had an issue.

Comment

I will try to remove it but don’t spend too much time or effort on it. If it comes off ok, but if not ok also.

Comment

It's preference for ribs. I remove it, but I've had ribs at restaurants that don't.

Comment

Have you tried scoring them in the backside?

Comment

Originally posted by TKC View Post
                I will try to remove it but don’t spend too much time or effort on it. If it comes off ok, but if not ok also.
                This is where I'm at for ribs, if it comes off with a quick peel all good but otherwise I'm not messing with it.

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
                Short, fast cooking turns it into a rubbery rock, but slow&low cooking turns it into gold. Fillet it off the backstraps, slice it in short strips, and throw it in the crockpot for any long-simmering stew or soup. It’s collagen, it’ll break down into a soft little nibble and it’ll make the broth richer.
                Exactly. Once I discovered the magic that comes out of the shanks I realized this stuff is amazing if you use it correctly.

Comment

We trim all silver skin off, for our selves and when my dad did it for a lot of customers. No need to leave it on, so why not remove It. Looks better, far more professional, and my dad said the only reason many don’t remove it is it takes time and people are lazy. And he as known as supplying the best cuts of meat around, absolutely no trimming needed. So I still continue to do it that way, and many people prefer it. I just don’t have the time or help to process as many as we used to.
                  Last edited by critter69; 06-05-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burntorange bowhunter View Post
                    same.

Sent from my sm-g973u using tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=critter69;15649334]We trim all silver skin off, for our selves and when my dad did it for a lot of customers. No need to leave it on, so why not remove It. Looks better, far more professional, it’s harder to chew, and my dad said the only reason many don’t remove it is it takes time and people are lazy. And he as known as supplying the best cuts of meat around, absolutely no trimming needed. So I still continue to do it that way, and many people prefer it. I just don’t have the time or help to process as many as we used to. Very very little even make it into our “ grind “ meat, hamburger and sausage grind.

Comment

Just put on two slabs of baby back ribs and removed the silver. I personally think your ribs have more seasoning on the meat instead of on the silver when the silver is removed.

Comment

I used to leave the silver on ribs and would score them. Since I learned how easy it is to remove it that's the only way I cook them now. I also think the seasoning gets into meat better with it removed.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Just put on two slabs of baby back ribs and removed the silver. I personally think your ribs have more seasoning on the meat instead of on the silver when the silver is removed.
                            There isn't any meat on the bottom of ribs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I remove from pork ribs but not beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                There isn't any meat on the bottom of ribs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                                Yep no meat on the bottom side, but you can season the meat between the bones when you strip the silver stuff. Unless you just like seasoning one side of your ribs.

Comment

Working...
                                X