Moving because property taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
    Every one of you should be delivering a petition to city hall demanding that they stop granting zoning that allows this. Don't let them forget who answers to who
    Yeah the city of boerne just gave bucee-s travel center a 10 year tax abatement / pay 0% on all taxes, and TDoT granted 200millon for their personal exits . Kinda hard not to be bitter about property taxes

Same with space X in Brownsville import California jobs
    Austin gives Tesla tax abatement
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-26-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Don’t many other states have state taxes though. Might pay to weigh out benefits. I thought going to a (no state tax) state was better when retiring to keep from paying state tax on retirement income(401k, IRA, etc).

I live in Louisiana now. I am prob moving back to Texas to retire. That being said, I didn’t consider property tax shooting up in certain areas. I’ll have to pay attention to that when pick where I’m moving back too.

Comment

If you need to move because of that, you couldn't afford it in the first place.

$1500 spread over 12 months isnt much. Guess it depends how much of that budget yall are spending on taxes. Seems like alot

Comment

I think this will start a trend in higher $/ft construction with smaller sq ft homes. I built around tax codes and built only what I needed. It works better in rural areas than in urban HOAs with deed restrictions. RE Taxes in Texas can be a big factor in cost of living once retired. Move rural, and put 40% in house and 60% in land. For example a 100 acres(ag use) with a 1500 sq ft home, vs a 4500 sq ft home in 0.5 acres lot and block. Small house and land might cost $2k a year in taxes while the other $20K/year in taxes. Both worth $800K

Comment

I live in a suburb to Austin. Bought the house in 2017 for $325k. My neighbor put his on the market last month. Similar size, similar amenities, etc for $780k. As I type this, its under contract and a home inspector is scrambling all over it. 33 days on market which is actually a long time for this area but the sale redefines what houses cost on our street. I have to be here for work. So, I cant sell and relocate. All it means for me is more taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              I think this will start a trend in higher $/ft construction with smaller sq ft homes. I built around tax codes and built only what I needed. It works better in rural areas than in urban HOAs with deed restrictions. RE Taxes in Texas can be a big factor in cost of living once retired. Move rural, and put 40% in house and 60% in land. For example a 100 acres(ag use) with a 1500 sq ft home, vs a 4500 sq ft home in 0.5 acres lot and block. Small house and land might cost $2k a year in taxes while the other $20K/year in taxes. Both worth $800K
              This is our exact plan, in a 3750 4-3 with a mother in law house on 3 acres, going the direction you mentioned

Comment

OP,

Truly feel for you. Don't know where we'd go if we moved.

Came here from Louisiana, but no desire to go back there, but dang, the property taxes are out of control.

I'm pushing for us to find some land and buy just outside of BIG city limits. Get some farm animals or hay on it, so I can get AG.

Buddy has his inlaws place. 110 Acres and with AG exempt the property taxes are cheaper than what I pay on my 50x100 lot.

Hope ya'll land some place you're happy with.

Comment

Fighting your appraisal is easy. I have had mine drop
                  Everytime I have fought it. Skip the middle man and wait to see the panel.

Comment

We protested. My 1325²ft house (including garage) was appraised at 190,000. They dropped it to 165K and it is that again this year. Problem is obvious but we aren't going to change it. Politicians spend our money without any care for how it negatively affects us.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                      This was one of the factors that pushed us out of Montgomery County. There were other reasons but it definitely played a part. We moved back to Polk County in the area where I'm from. When we bought last year, the previous owner payed about $4500 the year before we bought. We just got our first property tax statement and they raised our appraised value by $100k and the taxes are over $6k now. If our place was in Montgomery County it would most likely be $9-10k per year so I guess I can't complain too much. We are going to protest the giant appraisal increase though. I remember when Dad complained about the $2-300 per year he paid on our place growing up in East Tx.
                      L.

Congrats Josh, you now pay more in property taxes than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm over 65 and my tax dollar is frozen as long as I do make changes.

I can make all repairs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kaizen View Post
                          I live in a suburb to Austin. Bought the house in 2017 for $325k. My neighbor put his on the market last month. Similar size, similar amenities, etc for $780k. As I type this, its under contract and a home inspector is scrambling all over it. 33 days on market which is actually a long time for this area but the sale redefines what houses cost on our street. I have to be here for work. So, I cant sell and relocate. All it means for me is more taxes.
                          That’s just Insane.

Comment

I'm 73 & my tax estimate arrived today & they went up, supposed to be frozen, but they up the value of your home & stick it to you.

Comment

Move somewhere that there are no high paying jobs to attract young families. That way they probably won't be passing school bonds to keep up with the number of kids needing a seat in school. The best thing about retirement is that we don't need or maybe even want a job.

Comment

They doubled mine last year and doubled school taxes also. I’m gladly selling.

Comment

Working...
                                X