Chili Pequin Smoked Seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled out a couple quart and gallon bags of chili pequins I been picking. Got the pits running. Decided to make a batch of seasoning. Simple process, smoke slow, let dry out, grind and put em in a shaker. Use in any application. WARNING they are **** hot, but they are good. Will update with final product in a couple days.

Pix

Comment

No pics are appearing... I dry and grind as well... Have considered smoking but had not tried it yet... Let us know how it turns out.
      Last edited by Pedernal; 10-20-2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I ate a chili pequin ONCE!! Straight off the bush, mouth was on fire and numb for away least an hour.

Comment

I've been doing this for a couple years, it is fantastic.

Comment

Attaching
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting... I was courious if you dried them first, then the smoke. I generally don't pick them off until they turn red. Do you know off any difference in taste or heat level picking them green versus red??

Comment

Love them little suckers!

Comment

Love those things but my little plant didn’t produce much this year. Love drying and grinding them. Goes great on pizza in place of crushed red pepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by HoustonHunter94; 10-21-2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Green is hotter then red. I pick bags and freeze them, until I get a large supply. I also smoke em fresh, allow the smoke to do the drying process. I will pick some red for some sweeter heat, but generally stay with the green (which is the bulk). I leave the reds on the vine, as they get the attention from local birds. The birds will naturally transplant, this is how I got 5 plants growing. I will also spray with water, then sprinkle with a little sea salt and garlic to enhance the flavor as it will dry as well.

Comment

I have a bunch of Carolina Reapers, some Scorpion peppers and a few ghost peppers in bags. Some have been dehydrated and some are in the freezer, I have been looking for recipes to make something palatable out of them. They are way too hot to just use straight. Probably would make good salsa or something, use about 1/10 the amount of other peppers. I need to get some pequin plants next spring, I like those.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                        I ate a chili pequin ONCE!! Straight off the bush, mouth was on fire and numb for away least an hour.
                        Ha! I did this yesterday of a small plant of purple piquins I have in the back yard. Lit me up! Curiosity satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
                          Green is hotter then red. I pick bags and freeze them, until I get a large supply. I also smoke em fresh, allow the smoke to do the drying process. I will pick some red for some sweeter heat, but generally stay with the green (which is the bulk). I leave the reds on the vine, as they get the attention from local birds. The birds will naturally transplant, this is how I got 5 plants growing. I will also spray with water, then sprinkle with a little sea salt and garlic to enhance the flavor as it will dry as well.
                          Have you ever tried transplanting one? I have a small one I would like to move as its not in a good spot... I don't want to kill it.

Comment

They thrive in heat. I transplanted and put one in a large planter and moved to the west side, solid sun. Remember to put some mulch around the base during winter. It will be ok. Mine produced late this year. But are now putting the chili’s out. Since it is late, I would transplant next March. Your call. Good to have native peppers at the back door.

Comment

Update
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X