Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #51
jeffrey_sh
Nubbin' Buck

When I first decided to give traditional archery a try I bought a 40 lb Samick Sage recurve from 3 Rivers Archery.
I still believe it is a fantastic bow for the money. Good looking and solid riser with mounting bushings installed for any accessory that you can think of. The limbs are pretty smooth and shoot well for entry level ones. You can start with a set of low poundage limbs and then increase the weight as you build up your shooting muscles and ability.

The Samick Journey is also a good buy. We keep one around the house as an extra bow for company to shoot.
jeffrey_sh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #52
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey_sh View Post
When I first decided to give traditional archery a try I bought a 40 lb Samick Sage recurve from 3 Rivers Archery.
I still believe it is a fantastic bow for the money. Good looking and solid riser with mounting bushings installed for any accessory that you can think of. The limbs are pretty smooth and shoot well for entry level ones. You can start with a set of low poundage limbs and then increase the weight as you build up your shooting muscles and ability.

The Samick Journey is also a good buy. We keep one around the house as an extra bow for company to shoot.
Thanx, excellent info
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #53
texasproud11
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Definitely get a 35lb sage, cheap arrows, perfect your form, then jump up to a 50 lb longbow/recurve. Bob Sarrels is a Texan near Austin thatís been making bows for a long time now. I jumped in off the bat at a 49 lb longbow and wished I had staged up, which is more common than you think.
texasproud11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #54
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Black Hunter!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #55
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

I dive headfirst into trad about 4 months ago. Sold all my compound stuff and went to RMS Gear in Colorado and had them set me up. IF you have the option of finding a shop or someone with the knowledge to get you going, start there. The choice of beginner bow depends a lot on your budget and whether or not youíre an ďall-inĒ kinda person.

Iíve been shooting a fleetwood bow, I canít remember the model, since I started hard core. It shoots decent, is pretty quiet, and was about $150 brand new. I paid $400 for a complete setup with arrows, tab, fletches, bow square, bow stringer, and broadheads.

However, Iíve enjoyed it a lot and just ordered a Stalker Coyote that should be here in a couple months... be warned, the trad bug can bite hard.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #56
Picorancher71
Four Point

Hunt In: El Pico Ranch/Anywhere

Black Widow for recurves, Toelke for longbows
Picorancher71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #57
inventmarks
Nubbin' Buck

Donít buy a sage , get a real bow from a real bowyer. Northern Mist Classic , if you can find one used thatís even better. Check the website and give Steve a call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
inventmarks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #58
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

The only bows with real soul are SELFBOWS!!!! Ha ha ha ha shoot what you like and have fun! Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top