Hybrid String Silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid String Silencers

I cannot thank Cameron Root enough for turning me onto these foam ear plugs as silencers.

I've been using them as slap silencers for a while, and they are awesome for that. Today I got around to using them as string silencers.

I don't like the way they look in the string by themselves, so I decided to dress them up a bit.

They weigh 15gr each (same as my all yarn silencers), so there is zero change in performance of the bow. The change in how much quieter the bow shoots now is absolutely amazing. It was real quiet before, but now it is almost dead silent.

What I did was:

(1) cut my yarn strand count down from 38 to 18.
    That was just a guess to hit the weight, but I hit it at 15gr as desired, because that's what my all yarn puffs weigh, so good to go.

(2) Flattened the ear plugs, and slippled them into the middle/center of the silencers on the loom, before tying them at center.

(3) Tied them at center as usual.

(4) Separated the bundles of the string, and slipped them in as always.

In the string.

They will puff up more, and look even better as I shoot more.

Rick

Very cool, Rick, and innovative, as always.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

hybrid string silencers

Has anyone used Rabbit Fur Strips for sting silencers? Used them in NM in the past and they worked well. The only problem being non-water repellant. Fly Tying Zonker strips would work fine if waterproofed. Anyone try such things as ScotchGuard or similar products? Fly Fishing products include Silicon products that when sprayed on flies keep the floating well for a time. Lots cheaper than Beaver Balls and Muskrat Fur at $5.00 or more a package. Don't have enough posts yet to start a New Thread. Which is why I am adding comments to various posts form here in South Texas.........

Comment

hybrid string silencers

Fly Floating is available in commercial form or an old recipe. Attached is alink to a Paraffin - White Gas mixture use for many years. Worth a try with Rabbit Zonker Strips for an alternative. I know the strips make decent silencers.

Comment

Working...
        X