Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2019 TBH APR Special Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sleepymedic1 View Post
    Robert, what length barrel and twist rate would you recommend for a tier 2 in 28 nosler
    If it were mine, I'd do 26" and 1/8.

Comment

Robert, I ordered a 1/8 twist in my Tier 1, 20" barrel 7mm-08. Is this going to be satisfactory? I intend to shoot either the 140 or 150 gr Nosler Partition.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        Robert, I ordered a 1/8 twist in my Tier 1, 20" barrel 7mm-08. Is this going to be satisfactory? I intend to shoot either the 140 or 150 gr Nosler Partition.
        It's more than you "need" for those bullets, but it will still work absolutely great. There are several benefits to running more than the minimum twist rate in most cases, especially for hunting. There is obviously a point where it can become "too much", but you aren't anywhere near that with 140s at 7-08 velocities. I would have absolutely chosen an 8 twist if I was building it for myself.

Comment

Man oh man!! I work right down the road in Euless, I’m gonna stop by one morning when I get off work. I need a rifle for an Elk Hunt next year!!

Comment

better hurry ordering, deadline is looming

Comment

Just ordered mine. Tier 1, 7-08, 20” barrel with 1:9 twist.

To the other guys that ordered 20” 7mm barrels, what twist did you get? I was told in order to meet the minimum order of 5 to do the shorter barrel that they also need to be the same twist rate.

Comment

I am torn between a 20-22" 6.5 PRC and a 20" 308

Is there any drastic difference that I should be aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
                  Just ordered mine. Tier 1, 7-08, 20” barrel with 1:9 twist.

To the other guys that ordered 20” 7mm barrels, what twist did you get? I was told in order to meet the minimum order of 5 to do the shorter barrel that they also need to be the same twist rate.
                  See post 228

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post

I am interested in building a 6.5prc too. Robert advised a 24 inch barrel when I asked if 22 was too short.

Comment

Just ordered a 6mm CM "little man bun", 22”, 1:7.5. Plain carbon (tier 1) no camo, with burnt bronze trim.

I love the 6.5 CM and will keep using it when the goal is to get an animal on the ground asap, but it’s proven to be more hp than needed when the focus is on meat preservation (e.g. whitetail and pigs).

I looked carefully at .243, 6 Dasher, 25-06, and several others, and worked backwards from the bullet I wanted to use - in the range of the 103gn eld-x @ 2900-3000fps. It’s interesting how different the .243 is from the 6CM in real applications based on twist/bullet selection. The 6 Dasher is exciting but has some less practical aspects as a hunting round given my level of reloading/gunsmithing.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post

I thought about a 20" PRC but after talking to several folks and looking at ballistic tables with a 20" barrel your basically going to have a creedmore with the loss in velocity with the short barrel. I ordered a 20" 308.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                          I am interested in building a 6.5prc too. Robert advised a 24 inch barrel when I asked if 22 was too short.
                          I'm wanting to do a 6.5 prc with a 22". Was hoping I wouldnt lose much from a 24. Maybe im wrong? Wanting to keep it shorter and packable for mtn hunting and will also be running a brake
                          Last edited by OSU Fisher; 02-05-2019, 02:19 PM. Reason: Adding text.

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
                            I'm wanting to do a 6.5 prc with a 22". Was hoping I wouldnt lose much from a 24. Maybe im wrong? Wanting to keep it shorter and packable for mtn hunting and will also be running a brake
                            Debating between 22" & 24" myself.

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
                              Debating between 22" & 24" myself.
                              I ended up going with a 24" 1:8 twist on this build... I was really considering the 22" but didnt want to have to reload to get decent speed out of it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
                                Do you think you will be gaining much over a .260 with the short barrel?

Comment

Working...
                                X