2wd vs 4wd Tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2wd vs 4wd Tractor

I think I know the answer but have to ask. I’ve been tractor shopping. I’ve been only looking at 4wd but found an older tractor for a decent price. Has a loader and a grapple already and not a ton of hours for the age. Only problem is its 2wd. Just making sure that’s makes it a no go. Thoughts? 75hp if it makes a difference. Was looking at 40-50 in 4wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would only run a 4x4. With that being said, the old school tractors were a lot heavier, so it's not as big of a deal. However, most old school tractors did not have loaders either. For loader work it's even more of bigger deal to have a 4x4.

Comment

I have a 68 h.p. 2wd. It does what I need it to do, but I would rather have a 4wd.
      Filling back tires with water made a big difference for me.
      My next tractor will be 4wd though.

Comment

All I’ve ever owned is 2wd tractors. I guess it all depends on where and what you’re using it for. I don’t have a FIL however. I think in that case a 4wd is the best bet

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 2wd tractor had one for years. What will you be doing with it? If you are just mowing it will be fine. If your place is as muddy as mine 4wd won’t matter much it will just be stuck worse when it goes down. If you will be moving lots of dirt with the loader 4wd helps to push into dirt piles with the front end loader. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

the 4WD gets stuck too, just ask my dad lol our tractor gets used every weekend and might go into 4WD a couple times every other month to put it into perspective. The property has had a lot of rock brought in so that helps.

Comment

My family has had tractors for over 80 years, for
              Farming, moving hay, pulling out stumps and vehicles. etc. I know the advantages of 4wd and would only have a 4wd truck. I use 70 hp 2wd and it’s done everything I need. If I had 4wd, I probably would be going places, I really didn’t need to go. 75hp 2wd is strong machine. Probably use difference in cost to add a couple attachments. Good Luck

Comment

I would prefer a 75 hp 2wd over a 40-50 hp 4wd if the tractor is in good condition.

Comment

Although the last 2 tractors I bought are 4wd, I wouldn't rule out 2wd. Getting the extra HP can partially offset the lack of 4wd. I believe the 4wd tractors generally have a lot beefier front ends . I have broken the front spindle on a 2wd tractor and have heard of others doing the same on fairly large tractors when moving round bales.

But if I had to choose between 4wd and a FEL, I believe the FEL is most important. But best to get both.

Comment

I can tell you this. FEL work wise you can do the same if not more with a 50HP 4WD as you could with the 75HP 2wd.

That being said if you want more HP for pulling a bigger mower etc then go with the 75HP.

IMO a 2wd tractor has one place and thats the hay field or turf with no loader.

They shouldnt even make a 2wd tractor with a way to attach a loader lol.

If you do go with the 75HP fill the back tires with water and find bolt on weights or build you a 3pt ballast box for doing grapple work. Also like said above there is alot more iron in the old tractors. Biggest problem with a 2wd is getting a load on the front and not being able to turn.

Comment

Coming from someone who has used a Kubota 5200 2wd with loader, I would get the 4wd because the added weight helps. I'm actually in the process of purchasing a new cab tractor and it will be 4wd with loader and remotes.

Comment

My old tractor id a 52 horse 2 wd with a loader. I may get it stuck tomorrow but so far I have never had any real issues. It was built back in the 90's. With a little common sense. Back in the day all tractors were 2 wd but people were not idiots so it worked out fine.

-john

Comment

IF going 2WD get at least 90hp.

Comment

My 2wd drive tractor does everything I need it to do with a FIL. But it’s a mid 80’s model and much heavier (as noted above) than newer tractors. If I were buying something newer, I would go 4wd no question

Comment

Never knew what a 4WD tractor was until we started getting Versatiles and Steigers. Everything else was 2 WD. JD 4630's, 4640's, 5020's... all 2 WD and pulled a lot of cane carts in mud up to your ***.

Comment

Working...
                              X