Stay Sharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay Sharp

I know a few have them. I’ve watched every video they have on YouTube. I’ve had one for several years and a bucket full of good but used SlickTrick blades. I can sharpen them by hand but it takes some doing (worth it). Since they sold out to the outdoor group they ain’t at the same level of sharpness.

Like the videos, when I’m done they are smooth and shiny enough you can see to put your contacts in,.... but DULL, good Lawd they are dull. Won’t even cut paper dull. Let my kids put em in their mouth dull.

Anyone have one and get blades back to hunting condition? Without being a product pimp?

The muzzy phantom I sharpened by hand was surgically sharp, but it was a much longer blade and as easy as sharpening a pocket knife

I have the kme sharpener.. looks about the same as the stay sharp.. it helps keep your angle . I use it with a 1000 grit diamond stone and leather strop. I've only sharpened magnus stingers and a few qad replaceable blades with it. I prefer to hand sharpen my hunting heads.. theres only one brand I've found that's sharp enough to hunt with out of the package..

Comment

... guess nobody has gotten one to work as advertised?

Gonna try stones. The sandpaper has what I believe a “flaw”. No way to get it tight enough that a pushing motion doesn’t cause a “wave” in front of the lead edge at a micro level. That would be dulling faster than you can sharpen (the way my redneck brain works)

Seriously I can take “almost” hunting sharp blades and make blunt objects out of them, it’s horrible
      Last edited by Low Fence; 04-18-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Yea, I got one of those things and they suck...like you said, polished them up nice but I couldn’t get an edge to save my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have good results with a lansky.
          1 pass - turn over, each grit
          Then 1 pass each side with the course- uncle Ted calls this rough sharp,it's like mini serations, you can't look at the darn things with out cutting your self.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
            I have good results with a lansky.
            1 pass - turn over, each grit
            Then 1 pass each side with the course- uncle Ted calls this rough sharp,it's like mini serations, you can't look at the darn things with out cutting your self.
            Rough sharp is good on skin.... but clogs with fat terrible. I want razor sharp

Comment

Working...
            X