I call it... Tater Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I call it... Tater Salad

This is a savory mayo based tater salad with a little heat. Been a big hit at family gatherings.

For a large batch use a whole bag of red skin on potatoes cut in roughly equal sized pieces

Boil a large pot of water (the bigger the better so they will stay covered and will cook faster) I add some salt and cayenne to the water for flavor

Remove from the heat before they are mushy (under cooked is better than over cooked as they will continue to soften a bit) and let them cool in the strainer. If you are in a hurry you could rinse with cold water.

Cook about a pound of bacon (might I suggest the following… yum)
    Spread out bacon strips on a cooling rack set over a foil lined baking sheet
    Combine:
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne
    Reserve half the mixture and dust the top of the bacon and place in a preheated 400° oven on the lower rack. Cook for about 20 minutes and flip the bacon and dust the other side then back into the oven until crispy. (in my oven that’s about another 20 minutes.)

Dice about four celery sticks ( maybe 1 1/2 cups or so) If you want more crunchy texture leave the pieces bigger

Slice a bundle of scallions in tiny ringlets (about a cup)

Press about six cloves of garlic

Dice two fresh Jalapeno seeds and all unless you’re a wuss.

In a separate bowl add two cups Hellman’s Mayo (NOT MIRACLE WHIP yuck!)
    a heaping Tbs brown mustard
    1 Tbs fresh black pepper
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp beau monde (or celery salt)
    1 tsp garlic salt, 2 tsp salt
    ¼ teaspoon cumin
    Whisk together and taste it. I usually end up adding more salt and pepper.

Shred most if not all of a block of sharp cheddar (bagged shredded will do but make sure to use sharp) and chop or crumble bacon.

Add the Mayo to the potatoes careful not to smash them too much then add the vegetables then the cheese and bacon leaving enough to garnish the top

Refrigerate, overnight is best but as long as you can to let the flavors meld.

Be creative and make it your own but I steadfastly reject the use of miracle whip or sweet relish in my potato salad!!!

Bon appetite!

Sounds delish! Sometimes eating low carb and scrolling through the green screen can be dangerous. I'll have to try this the next time we take a break from keto.

Comment

I was looking for Ron White....

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        I was looking for Ron White....
        He's drunk in PUB LICK.

Comment

That does sound good...I bet the heat would be a nice touch.

The best tater salad I've ever had is at the Whole Hog BBQ in Little Rock. The wife went to Recipe Zar and has a pretty good version or duplication. The bacon and the sour cream are key ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            That does sound good...I bet the heat would be a nice touch.

The best tater salad I've ever had is at the Whole Hog BBQ in Little Rock. The wife went to Recipe Zar and has a pretty good version or duplication. The bacon and the sour cream are key ingredients.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/wh...ato-salad.html

I love their tater salad!!! Gonna hafta remember this!!

Comment

Yum

Comment

Sub

Comment

I knew I could count on TBH for a great tater salad recipe! Making this in 3.... 2.....

Comment

No pic, no proof!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                      No pic, no proof!
                      It didn`t happen. I`m moving on.

Comment

Love me some tater salad!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                          No pic, no proof!
                          X2

Comment

Here’s the Whole Hog copycat recipe referenced above. It’s the best freaking tator salad on the planet IMO.
                            I don’t go through the trouble of making real bacon. I just use a package of real bacon bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              This is a savory mayo based tater salad with a little heat. Been a big hit at family gatherings.

For a large batch use a whole bag of red skin on potatoes cut in roughly equal sized pieces

Boil a large pot of water (the bigger the better so they will stay covered and will cook faster) I add some salt and cayenne to the water for flavor

Remove from the heat before they are mushy (under cooked is better than over cooked as they will continue to soften a bit) and let them cool in the strainer. If you are in a hurry you could rinse with cold water.

Cook about a pound of bacon (might I suggest the following… yum)
                              Spread out bacon strips on a cooling rack set over a foil lined baking sheet
                              Combine:
                              ¼ cup brown sugar
                              1 teaspoon kosher salt
                              1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
                              ¼ teaspoon cayenne
                              Reserve half the mixture and dust the top of the bacon and place in a preheated 400° oven on the lower rack. Cook for about 20 minutes and flip the bacon and dust the other side then back into the oven until crispy. (in my oven that’s about another 20 minutes.)

Dice about four celery sticks ( maybe 1 1/2 cups or so) If you want more crunchy texture leave the pieces bigger

Slice a bundle of scallions in tiny ringlets (about a cup)

Press about six cloves of garlic

Dice two fresh Jalapeno seeds and all unless you’re a wuss.

In a separate bowl add two cups Hellman’s Mayo (NOT MIRACLE WHIP yuck!)
                              a heaping Tbs brown mustard
                              1 Tbs fresh black pepper
                              1 tsp cayenne pepper
                              1 tsp beau monde (or celery salt)
                              1 tsp garlic salt, 2 tsp salt
                              ¼ teaspoon cumin
                              Whisk together and taste it. I usually end up adding more salt and pepper.

Shred most if not all of a block of sharp cheddar (bagged shredded will do but make sure to use sharp) and chop or crumble bacon.

Add the Mayo to the potatoes careful not to smash them too much then add the vegetables then the cheese and bacon leaving enough to garnish the top

Refrigerate, overnight is best but as long as you can to let the flavors meld.

Be creative and make it your own but I steadfastly reject the use of miracle whip or sweet relish in my potato salad!!!

Bon appetite!

Interesting...thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X