• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lnester View Post
    Just remember to leave no trace.
    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
      Molasses Lake camp ground are those no reservation first come first serve types camps? Another question. On Yankee Boy are the camp sites laid out designated or can you just pull off the road where you like and camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      For Molas Lake you make reservations. There is Little Molas right down the road and it is first come first served. On Yankee Boy there are 3 different areas to camp. I like all 3, but my favorite is once you turn off 550 in Ouray heading up to Yankee Boy keep on going until you pass the overhanging rock, and keep going some more. You will pass a few waterfalls on the left, and then you will see some dispersed first come fist served camping. There are always plenty of spots and usually only 2 or 3 people camped up there. Great views and secluded with perfect access to keep going up Tankee Boy, and the trail head to Imogene is right off the same road. Also Governor Basin trail head is off this same road. If you follow Yankee Boy all the way up you can park at the trail head to hike to Blue Lakes, and its a great hike with very nice views. Bring a rod and reel and catch trout in the lakes too. Molas Lake Campground will have bathroom (vault toilet), and pay showers. They are clean and I have no issue with them.

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
        For Molas Lake you make reservations. There is Little Molas right down the road and it is first come first served. On Yankee Boy there are 3 different areas to camp. I like all 3, but my favorite is once you turn off 550 in Ouray heading up to Yankee Boy keep on going until you pass the overhanging rock, and keep going some more. You will pass a few waterfalls on the left, and then you will see some dispersed first come fist served camping. There are always plenty of spots and usually only 2 or 3 people camped up there. Great views and secluded with perfect access to keep going up Tankee Boy, and the trail head to Imogene is right off the same road. Also Governor Basin trail head is off this same road. If you follow Yankee Boy all the way up you can park at the trail head to hike to Blue Lakes, and its a great hike with very nice views. Bring a rod and reel and catch trout in the lakes too. Molas Lake Campground will have bathroom (vault toilet), and pay showers. They are clean and I have no issue with them.
        Thank you for the info much appreciated

Comment

Great info. I just spent a week up there but all the trail passes were closed but that was back in April. This tread is making me wanna hook up to the jeep this weekend and go!!

Comment

On your way up. Stop in Georgetown Colorado and get ice cream at the old ice cream shop on the main street with all the shops and restaurants. You will not be disappointed!

Comment

Thank you for the info much appreciated
              No problem, PM me if you need anymore info

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                We made the loop last year (from Lake City)
                the week of July 4 +-. The road open the day before we went. The road from Animas Fork to Silverton was closed, I think because of mud slide.
                Last year they had a huge late snowfall that kept the plows off the passes in June. Then it all melted, quickly, and caused some mudslide issues in places. The snowfall has been significantly less this year.

Comment

I highly recommend this book. Really helpful guide to the trails up there.

Comment

Awesome will do

Comment

Awesome will do

That is a good book. Make sure you get the edition that has the area you plan to go to. They have different versions for different areas

Comment

OK is Black Bear pass as bad as they make it out to be? In the past when I rented jeeps in Ouray they would have me sign a paper saying I would not go on Black Bear pass.

Comment

lets just say that when you see youtube videos of folks going down from the BB pass to Bridal Veil falls,,,,you will notice all the passengers get out of the jeeps leaving the driver alone inside..while they boastfully claim I'm not scared just wanted to take some good pics

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                            lets just say that when you see youtube videos of folks going down from the BB pass to Bridal Veil falls,,,,you will notice all the passengers get out of the jeeps leaving the driver alone inside..while they boastfully claim I'm not scared just wanted to take some good pics

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

OK is Black Bear pass as bad as they make it out to be? In the past when I rented jeeps in Ouray they would have me sign a paper saying I would not go on Black Bear pass.
                              Absolutely not, but clearly opinions will vary on this. I’ve been over it more times than I can count. The front side up from 550 can be driven in a 2wd sedan.....literally. Once you get up top and break over the other side, then things to get a bit technical. But it’s honestly nothing you can’t do in a stock Jeep with some common sense. Just go slow and pick your lines. If there is something you are unsure about, look for a bypass around it. On the shale and the switch backs, just keep it in low gear and take your time. If you need to do a 3 point turn on the switch backs, get your passenger to spot for you or someone ahead/behind you. You are missing out on an awesome experience if you don’t drive it. I’ve done it alone and with a passenger many times.

I think the same people that say Black Bear is so scary are the same folks that don’t know how to drive when it starts raining.....much less snowing. In 2018 when I went over, there was a group of 4 women behind me in a stock Jeep. I guarantee you they were all in their 60’s and 70’s. They never missed a beat. If they can do it, so can you.

Comment

I picked this book us as well. I have a group of 4 of us (3 jeeps and a F250) going the last week of July. We're tent camping at the KOA in Ouray.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X