No announcement yet.

Let's see the spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was near the cottonmouth today so I just had to drive in. Didn’t go to “the double plot” a bigger figure 8 shaped one in the bottoms. This is an iron ore hill I applied 98g to last August and it’s 3 no till planting. The last pic is a sumac thicket I reclaimed out there... poisoned... threw seed by hand... shredded... done. It’s the best sunflowers I have. Even better than my dove field
    Attached Files

Comment

I planted mine in Navarro last Tuesday, had good ground moisture, got near 2" hard rain that night. Had bean sprouts already by Sunday. Got lucky with that shower, it helped firm up the seed bed and get everything sprouted before the birds could hammer it too much.

Comment

Got buckwheat coming up on the pipeline, but my peas are barely poking their little heads up.

Buckwheat here.
        Attached Files

Comment

We put out 100lbs of ic peas last evening, ran the disc/drag over it, and looks like 1.5-2” rain overnight. Should be good to go if it didn’t wash some away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Starting to look good after 1 week.

Comment

Peas are doing great in thatch. Ain’t seen a sunflower on whole property???? Starting to take some pressure around the edges already
              Attached Files

Comment

All 8-10” tall
                Attached Files

Comment

I planted two more small plots at home. Buckwheat and IC peas. Need another rain on it now.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Let's see the spring food plots

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    You can forget that rain Logan, because I have planted. When I plant, the heavens dry up !

It’s starting to look that way lol

Got mine planted this weekend.

I went a little different route this year as I wanted to keep the ground disturbance to a minimum. Me and dad talked about it and we slung seed and fertilizer into the 4’ tall dead winter plot. After seeding, we hooked up the disc and behind the disc, a drag. We made two light rounds and was able to get good seed coverage all while laying down all the dead winter plot. Nice mat of thatch on the ground. Hoping to see some moisture retainage improvement this way.
                    Last edited by Sleepy; 05-11-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

This was last years spring plot @ termination. And planted it n dead fall plot. It’s 7’ tall. I rolled it and sprayed. The rolling killed everything but grasses, spray killed them. To plant 2019 fall... now repeat. Spray fall plot and drill same mix. IF you grow the thatch, there is no reason to break the soil. So far I’ve been amazed and the difference already in moisture and soil temp is telling me I’m going the right direction. Will take comparison soil samples this August to see if pH on some newer fields are changing for better of worse after 98g and modified buffalo method
                      Attached Files

Comment

Was not looking for this but it was a good deal and in good shape with no rust. I ordered a manual and 300.00 worth of replacement parts. The drill fits through all my gates which is a big deal for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drill1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	24617280

Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24617281

Comment

That was a steal.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good seeder!

Tip: take the rubber tubes off when not using and store in a Tupperware box. Sun and rodents will eat em up fast. Just zip tie on when you need to use it. Take 4-5 minutes and save ya headache and money

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                              Was not looking for this but it was a good deal and in good shape with no rust. I ordered a manual and 300.00 worth of replacement parts. The drill fits through all my gates which is a big deal for me.

[ATTACH]1003360[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1003361[/ATTACH]
                              Heck of a deal right there. Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                This was last years spring plot @ termination. And planted it n dead fall plot. It’s 7’ tall. I rolled it and sprayed. The rolling killed everything but grasses, spray killed them. To plant 2019 fall... now repeat. Spray fall plot and drill same mix. IF you grow the thatch, there is no reason to break the soil. So far I’ve been amazed and the difference already in moisture and soil temp is telling me I’m going the right direction. Will take comparison soil samples this August to see if pH on some newer fields are changing for better of worse after 98g and modified buffalo method
                                Interested to hear about the modified buffalo system. We planted eagle seed buffalo blend last fall and just planted this past week eagle seed soybeans since it’s been to cold to plant up there. . We are excited to see how it does. Once the beans get around 3-4” then we will roller crimp all the buffalo blend. We planted around 50 acres. There is one 3 acre field that was to dang tall and u can see in the videos below it just rolled over and stayed down. Hopefully the beans will grow thru that thick thatch. All the other fields stood back up so I feel confident in those. Time will tell. Thanks for sharing your growing process.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_zjEi31XM"]IMG 1879 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F2FZvU-pXCs"]FullSizeRender - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X