Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #151
sboudreaux
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Interested in a tier one in 6.5x284. Can we make that happen? Would like similar recoil as my .260 yíall built for me?
sboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #152
Stick1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboudreaux View Post
Interested in a tier one in 6.5x284. Can we make that happen? Would like similar recoil as my .260 yíall built for me?
It can happen on a long action for sure.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #153
Stick1
Ten Point

Just did some testing and the new 300PRC works good with the bdl set up. So its a go!

Just as an FYI, the 6.5 SAUM works well in the bdl set up with no mods. The 6.5PRC is for sure a no go on an unmodified mag box, but we already knew that. We just built one on a long action to test and it turned out great. Probably the slickest feeding I have seen yet. It will add 1/2" to the overall length and a few more ounces, but well worth the small sacrifice. Plus if you ever get tired of it or want to step up in power, its a simple barrel swap away to any of the mags.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #154
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Tier 1 with detachable mag option and shorter barrel options. 20-22"

I was going to get you to build me a lightweight hunter next year anyway but was going to stay with steel bbl. Just because I dont know enough about the carbon. I'm rough on equipment. Needs barrel length options
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #155
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

What is the brand/model of that stock? Iíd like to look online for some pictures of some painted and finished rifles.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #156
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Just did some testing and the new 300PRC works good with the bdl set up. So its a go!

Just as an FYI, the 6.5 SAUM works well in the bdl set up with no mods. The 6.5PRC is for sure a no go on an unmodified mag box, but we already knew that. We just built one on a long action to test and it turned out great. Probably the slickest feeding I have seen yet. It will add 1/2" to the overall length and a few more ounces, but well worth the small sacrifice. Plus if you ever get tired of it or want to step up in power, its a simple barrel swap away to any of the mags.
Crapppppp.... I just sold my 300 rum and put aside some of the cash for a future 300prc....

I want to do a 22-250 this round.... not a 22-250 and a 300 PRC
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #157
aggieman08
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSouthpaw View Post
Will left hand be an option?
X2.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #158
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason Co

Quote:

So the 6.5 PRC is a no go in either option?
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #159
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
So the 6.5 PRC is a no go in either option?
It will work fine in the long action
Old 12-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #160
Stick1
Ten Point

When the stock comes in and I hear back from a couple folks next week, I'll have everything I need to make an "official"post with all of the details and pricing. This is going to be a smoking deal based on what I've got back so far. Hang tight, its going to be worth the wait!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #161
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
When the stock comes in and I hear back from a couple folks next week, I'll have everything I need to make an "official"post with all of the details and pricing. This is going to be a smoking deal based on what I've got back so far. Hang tight, its going to be worth the wait!
Got my money ready. Just got a new nightforce for Christmas.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #162
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Momma wants a 7.08 so guess we're waiting for the official word.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #163
bloodtrail18
Six Point

Hunt In: Uvalde

I'm in for a 280AI, not sure which tier is best for that caliber. It will be a deer stand gun,
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #164
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

No ultra-lite for me. Light guns = more recoil, and Iím not interested in a brake at all.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #165
K_Dawg4_1999
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I'm liking!!!!
K_Dawg4_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #166
Stick1
Ten Point

I have received several inquiries about my comments on the 6.5 PRC on this short action. I think there is some confusion, so I'll try to clarify here. I may try to grab a pic of the ejector set up tomorrow so it will make better sense.

The facts:
1. Remington style mag box for BDL or floor plate setups = approx 2.880" internal length.
2. Accurate or AICS pattern detachable magazines w/o binder = approx 2.950" internal length.
3. The factory loaded 6.5 PRC rounds from Hornady = avg 2.945" in overall length

So you can see the problem clearly. They will not fit in a standard S/A Remington style mag box and JUST BARELY fit in a S/A detachable magazine. This cartridge is marketed as a short action round, but does not fit well in a number of short actions without some type of modification. It is very much like the 6.5-284 in the fact that it can be forced into a short action, but probably would be better in a true medium or long action.

That said, the typical fix for this on Remingtons and similarly configured customs is to install a Wyatt's extended mag box. This adds about .110" of extra length as compared to the original. Material from the rear of the mag well is machined away to make room for the longer mag box. This solves the problem on push feeds like Remington, Stiller, etc. that have both the ejector and extractor located on the bolt face. However most controlled round feeds have the ejector located somewhere at the back of the mag well, which is right where the material needs to be removed for the modification.

The good news about the mechanical ejector is that your brass is going to eject every time.....it doesn't have a choice. It's the most dependable system of the two. The bad news is it doesn't lend itself to altering or trying to stretch the magwell length to accommodate cartridges longer than it was intended to run.

Knowing all of that should help you make a more informed choice when deciding whether or not to build a 6.5 PRC on this action. There are several ways to go with this if you still want a 6.5 PRC on this build. And it really is an awesome round that brings man bun level accuracy with increased horsepower to the table.

Option 1 - Do what the 6.5-284 guys figured out a long, long time ago. Build it on a long action and have more room than you'll ever need and the super smooth feeding that comes with it while preserving all of the mechanical ejection designed into the action. The trade-off here is that your overall build will be about 1/2" longer and weigh about 3-4 ounces more. In other words - not much.

Option 2 - Build it on a short action using detachable bottom metal. It just barely fits, but it does fit.The trade-off here is that you are starting at the finish line. As your throat starts to wear forward, you have absolutely zero room to follow it. How many rounds will that be? I don't know. I set our reamer up with a shorter freebore than the SAAMI version so it is customized to the Hornady factory ammo itself. That alone should make it last a little longer, but you will still run out of road eventually if you hand load. None of this may matter if you don't plan to load.

Option 3 - This one is a maybe at best. I will be working on the ejector geometry this week to see if I can coax a little more force out of it when running the extended mag modification. I posted earlier that I had done this in testing already and was able to make it work, but positive ejection was on the verge of being gone. We are going to go back and start working forward from where we stopped last time and try to get every .001" of ejector protrusion we can get without crowding the mag box. Trade offs here are additional cost of extended mag box and weaker ejection.

Options 4 thru 9 - Don't build a 6.5 PRC on this action. Ask us about other alternatives(though there won't be many at this price-point). Wait for the next TBH deal to roll around as it will likely be on a different action. Send us the action you want to build on and we'll take care of you with the rest. Call Hornady and ask them what the hell they were thinking making the OAL 2.950" when everybody else involved with the project thought they were solving all the issues associated with 6.5 mags in short actions. Give up and build another Creedmoor. Sorry, that last one was out of habit.

Anybody want to talk about the quirks of building a 300PRC?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #167
TB80
Ten Point

Quote:

Anybody want to talk about the quirks of building a 300PRC?

Actually, yes. What are your thoughts on the 300 PRC?
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #168
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX,Thurber & The "H" Some Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post
X2
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #169
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post

Somebody finally figured out how to make a 300WM not fit in a magazine! Just kidding...kind of. I expect it to take off based on the calls we are getting on it. Really have not had any issues getting it to fit in a BDL type set up. It does however need CIP length magazines to run in a DBM system. So kind of the opposite issues of the 6.5PRC. Go figure.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #170
BuckRage
Ten Point

is this build on one caliber or is there a choice?
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #171
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRage View Post
Caliber of choice for the most part.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #172
txhoghunter73
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.

I might be interested in a tier 1 7mm rem mag
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #173
ATXArcher
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Kicking myself for not doing last yearís build. Very interested in the Tier 1 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #174
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

Interested
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #175
trophy8
Pope & Young

These actions have interested me for a 375 h&h build. But the light weight part scares me LOL. Is this a caliber you can accommodate with these builds?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #176
trophy8
Pope & Young

And the actions are the TL actions right? No wood stock options? (Obviously it would differ from the group but stock. Just thinking on the 375. I fell in love with the TL the first time I saw one
Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #177
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

I would be in again if it was the ultralight version. Iíve been keeping my eyes open for a Cooper Backcountry but a full custom that is only 3/4-1 pound heavier at a lower price point would have me changing my mind.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #178
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
These actions have interested me for a 375 h&h build. But the light weight part scares me LOL. Is this a caliber you can accommodate with these builds?
Yes, the 375H&H is very doable and we have 4 of them in the works right now. One is a high grade wood blank on the case colored receiver that should be a stunner. I would not use this particular blueprint for a 375 H&H build personally, but it could be done. McMillan is doing a new walnut like molded finish that should make for a real classic look, yet still retain the bomb-proof stability of a good synthetic. I'm doing this with a red pad, case colored receiver and banded front sight on my personal 375 project right now. It will look the part, but still be weather proof.....mostly. Yes, the TL was the base for these actions. They have both been modified from the original design to meet our specs.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #179
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRage View Post
Whatever you want, if it fits and functions in the actions.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #180
Stick1
Ten Point

Here are the pics I took today to go along with my explanation in post #166 above concerning the 6.5 PRC on short action builds for this deal.

This is a 6.5PRC factory round in a standard short action mag box.

This is a 6.5 PRC factory round in a Wyatt's extended mag box.

This is the area at the back of the mag well that has to be milled for the extended box.

And here is where things get tricky. You can see the ejector will have to be shortened to keep from encroaching into the space of the extended mag box.

You can also see here how shortening the ejector will be reduce it's mechanical advantage over the case being cleared from the bolt face. The shorter it gets, the less force it will have clearing empties.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion about why we are recommending long actions for those wanting to do 6.5 PRC builds on this year's TBH deal.

Last edited by Stick1; 12-16-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #181
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Here are the pics I took today to go along with my explanation in post #166 above concerning the 6.5 PRC on short action builds for this deal.

This is a 6.5PRC factory round in a standard short action mag box.

This is a 6.5 PRC factory round in a Wyatt's extended mag box.

This is the area at the back of the mag well that has to be milled for the extended box.

And here is where things get tricky. You can see the ejector will have to be shortened to keep from encroaching into the space of the extended mag box.

You can also see here how shortening the ejector will be reduce it's mechanical advantage over the case being cleared from the bolt face. The shorter it gets, the less force it will have clearing empties.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion about why we are recommending long actions for those wanting to do 6.5 PRC builds on this year's TBH deal.

Hmmmm I thought the PRC was built to run in a short action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #182
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes, the 375H&H is very doable and we have 4 of them in the works right now. One is a high grade wood blank on the case colored receiver that should be a stunner. I would not use this particular blueprint for a 375 H&H build personally, but it could be done. McMillan is doing a new walnut like molded finish that should make for a real classic look, yet still retain the bomb-proof stability of a good synthetic. I'm doing this with a red pad, case colored receiver and banded front sight on my personal 375 project right now. It will look the part, but still be weather proof.....mostly. Yes, the TL was the base for these actions. They have both been modified from the original design to meet our specs.

I lean towards real wood to help mitigate recoil. Is that one of the new McMillan stocks? I havenít seen one in person yet but that looks amazingly realistic. Whatís the cost on that case color action? Feel free to PM if itíll derail this thread. Iíll keep an eye out for pricing too on this carbon deal
Old 12-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #183
XR650RRider
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
I would be in again if it was the ultralight version. Iíve been keeping my eyes open for a Cooper Backcountry but a full custom that is only 3/4-1 pound heavier at a lower price point would have me changing my mind.
Me too, 5.75 lbs, Jewell trigger and 1/2" guarantee. What's not to like.
XR650RRider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #184
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Hmmmm I thought the PRC was built to run in a short action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So did everyone else. Built to run in "some" short actions would be a better description. Lol. Like I stated earlier, it can be squeezed into service by going DBM. The frustrating part is, they would not have been giving up much performance by seating the bullet a little deeper to run in all short action platforms.

The first gen reamer produced was set up for exactly that. Then the ammo that was released later showed up at 2.945". I still have that original reamer, but it would cause big problems with the factory ammo thats out there now. This is the reason we weren't building any late last year. We had a couple already done when the first batch of ammo arrived, but got a big surprise when we started measuring it.

Not knocking the round as all of that can be worked around. I'm currently running 2 of them and couldn't be more pleased with accuracy and performance. One of them is running North of 3.100fps with the 147 factory load and prints tiny little groups.

Last edited by Stick1; 12-16-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #185
txagyotebuster
Six Point

A tier 1 in 6 creed would be a sweeeet coyote calling rifle as well as deer gun.
Robert how do you like the 6 creed? They shoot as well with factory ammo as the 6.5? I reload, but with 2 little girls under 3 i just don't have the time right now. My custom 6.5 shoots so well with hornady ammo out to 1k I don't see the need to.
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #186
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagyotebuster View Post
A tier 1 in 6 creed would be a sweeeet coyote calling rifle as well as deer gun.
Robert how do you like the 6 creed? They shoot as well with factory ammo as the 6.5? I reload, but with 2 little girls under 3 i just don't have the time right now. My custom 6.5 shoots so well with hornady ammo out to 1k I don't see the need to.
You'll like it plenty. Not as many factory offerings obviously, but what is available tends to shoot pretty good.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #187
txhoghunter73
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.

Any idea on price?
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #188
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
Any idea on price?
Post 160,. Its on the way!!!
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 11:36 PM   #189
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Following
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #190
txagyotebuster
Six Point

Quote:
You'll like it plenty. Not as many factory offerings obviously, but what is available tends to shoot pretty good.
What would optimal bbl length in one be? 24" in a lightweight build I'd definitely not go longer than 24 and would like 22" or even 20" if it wouldn't be too inefficient.
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #191
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

might be in for one probably tier 1.. looking at a backpack gun so I will wait around and see what the final prduct/price looks like
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #192
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

I'm not letting myself miss this one like I did the last.

I'd be in for either a lightweight varmint rifle in a 22 creed or 6mm creed, or a mountain rifle in 280 AI.

Will the stock have a fairly wide forend? Also I would like to see it with flush cups for a sling on the sides. And if I'm getting real picky maybe a spot underneath in the middle to attach an arca swiss plate for tripod mounts?
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #193
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Let us know so I can find out when my divorce date is............. I am not going to miss out on this deal again even if I am going to get in trouble.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #194
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

Quote:
Actual G2 action for comparison

No open bridge
I would prefer no open bridge could this action be subbed for the tier 1?
Iíll be in for either the 6.5prc in a long or a 22 creedmoor in a short.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #195
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Does for sure need flush cup options
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #196
texaspyro21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Matagorda and Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by one66stang View Post
Does for sure need flush cup options
A flush mlok channel would be awesome in place of the picatinny rail.
texaspyro21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #197
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

My biggest concern right now is if I go this route, what caliber do I get?
Definetly considering tier 1 but if I go to a .30 caliber I’ll pobably opt for tier two.

My primary deer rifles are my .280 and 25/06 and .264 win mag
Have a heavy barrel 22-250 for smaller stuff.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #198
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
I would prefer no open bridge could this action be subbed for the tier 1?
Iíll be in for either the 6.5prc in a long or a 22 creedmoor in a short.
I think I'd prefer the no open bridge as well.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #199
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBuck View Post
My biggest concern right now is if I go this route, what caliber do I get?
Definetly considering tier 1 but if I go to a .30 caliber Iíll pobably opt for tier two.

My primary deer rifles are my .280 and 25/06 and .264 win mag
Have a heavy barrel 22-250 for smaller stuff.
I am in the same boat. I was thinking 300wsm, but not sure I want to be on the receiving end of that in a light gun. I wish I would have not already done a 7-08 in last years build. I really want to go bigger for this one, but may have to change my mind. I don't reload, so I can't really go with any fancy calibers.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #200
Creed Killer
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Is anyone thinking of going with the 300 PRC or do yall think with it being a lighter gun and that caliber it might not be smart? Im not a gun guy so just needing some info!
Creed Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top