Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #501
fish4food
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Calhoun County
Default

All I can say is WOW! Working lots of OT to pay for a wedding and hopefully one of these.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #502
HDWRENCH
Ten Point
 
HDWRENCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Keller
Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan
Default

So Robert what is your ideas on a 300 PRC we talked about the 7mm 300 300 Wm but if I am going to add a 30 cal into the mix and factory ammo for it now .. if the data I looked up is correct 1000 lb mark is out near 1250-1300 Now that does what the 300 WM does and better as well staying with the 30 cal bullet new loads will be coming for sure and in lighter bullet weights as well .

Still looking back the 6.5 PRC is yes going to roll that 1000 mark back to 900 however much less recoil in a ultra light weight rig . and not sure when I will get the chance to hunt beyond the 1000 very often .

I know waffle waffle HA HA HA
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #503
Buzzsaw
Four Point
 
Buzzsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frisco Texas
Hunt In: Frio County
Default

just a suggestion, Robert will put out the official order form as soon as he in convinced these rifles will do what they are supposed to do. He WILL NOT build anything unless it will go out of the shop with the Alamo Precision Brand on it.

as far as cartridges, Go to these forums, join them and ask questions. Accurate Shooter.com, Long Range Hunting.com, 24 Hour Campfire.com, Snipershide.com You will learn all about EVERY option out there. Give Robert time to make these rifle's shoot like we want them to.

This is MY opinion only but I would stay with the more common calibers re: 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm mag.270, .300 Win Mag, again in MY opinion only, the RUM Magnums, Big, Heavy calibers might be better built off a different set up. Discuss this with Robert when the order sheet is put out.

I'm super excited about the Texas Bowhunter Group Buy !!!!
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #504
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
So Robert what is your ideas on a 300 PRC we talked about the 7mm 300 300 Wm but if I am going to add a 30 cal into the mix and factory ammo for it now .. if the data I looked up is correct 1000 lb mark is out near 1250-1300 Now that does what the 300 WM does and better as well staying with the 30 cal bullet new loads will be coming for sure and in lighter bullet weights as well .

Still looking back the 6.5 PRC is yes going to roll that 1000 mark back to 900 however much less recoil in a ultra light weight rig . and not sure when I will get the chance to hunt beyond the 1000 very often .

I know waffle waffle HA HA HA
The only 2 issues I can see with the 300PRC is the fact that you are stuck with Hornady brass (which is also true of the 6.5 and has not been an issue so far), but at least there are other options in the works for it - not so sure about the 300 version. The other issue is you have to be mindful of mag constraints when planning your build. No issues going with a BDL set up, but it will not fit in a standard magnum AICS patterned mag. You'll need to go CIP length if going DBM.
Stick1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #505
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
just a suggestion, Robert will put out the official order form as soon as he in convinced these rifles will do what they are supposed to do. He WILL NOT build anything unless it will go out of the shop with the Alamo Precision Brand on it.

as far as cartridges, Go to these forums, join them and ask questions. Accurate Shooter.com, Long Range Hunting.com, 24 Hour Campfire.com, Snipershide.com You will learn all about EVERY option out there. Give Robert time to make these rifle's shoot like we want them to.

This is MY opinion only but I would stay with the more common calibers re: 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm mag.270, .300 Win Mag, again in MY opinion only, the RUM Magnums, Big, Heavy calibers might be better built off a different set up. Discuss this with Robert when the order sheet is put out.

I'm super excited about the Texas Bowhunter Group Buy !!!!
We need a like button. Spot on.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #506
Silentnight
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
So Robert what is your ideas on a 300 PRC we talked about the 7mm 300 300 Wm but if I am going to add a 30 cal into the mix and factory ammo for it now .. if the data I looked up is correct 1000 lb mark is out near 1250-1300 Now that does what the 300 WM does and better as well staying with the 30 cal bullet new loads will be coming for sure and in lighter bullet weights as well .

Still looking back the 6.5 PRC is yes going to roll that 1000 mark back to 900 however much less recoil in a ultra light weight rig . and not sure when I will get the chance to hunt beyond the 1000 very often .

I know waffle waffle HA HA HA
300wm for me. 28" pipe with ultra 7 can shooting 215 burgers. Hoping to get around 3000fps hand loads, which would bring the 1000lb energy to around 1400yds. Plus factory ammo is common if I ever need to go that direction
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #507
Pumpkinking12
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default In

Definitely in for the tier 1 light weight build. Still up in the air on caliber, 300WM vs 28 Nosler for deer, black bear, sheep, and elk. Also looking at glass between Zeiss V6 and Leupold VX6HD. Want to get 1000yds out of it.
Pumpkinking12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #508
ColinR
Pope & Young
 
ColinR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spring Branch, TX-in the Hill Country not Houston
Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Sorry about that. If you can't get me next time, leave a message with Garret and I'll call you back. I will probably be at the range in the mornings for a while until we are done testing.

How did the testing go?
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #509
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
How did the testing go?

It went good overall. I didn't get through all of them due to a meeting yesterday and the rain today, but made some good headway earlier this week. Will resume next week and hopefully finalize everything. The "wrap" itself is pretty much solid and final. I do have another internal contour inbound that I think will be it based on results from the other ones. My other tester put a 40 round group through one of the 6.5's non-stop and it never walked. Probably killed it, but it stayed put. I did have one of the 6mms open up, but we were testing a contouring method and pretty much expected it to have that effect.
Stick1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #510
drwilliams
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Temple, Tx
Default

Robert I might have missed it in the 509 post on this thread, but what kind of barrel life you expecting out of the carbon fiber chamber in say a 7 rem mag or 300 win mag?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #511
Struggle
Spike
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwilliams View Post
Robert I might have missed it in the 509 post on this thread, but what kind of barrel life you expecting out of the carbon fiber chamber in say a 7 rem mag or 300 win mag?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Curious about this as well.
Struggle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #512
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point
 
Txarrowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 817
Hunt In: Parker county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggle View Post
Curious about this as well.
Based on my proof barreled rifles Id say comparable to sporter mag contour barrel life or better. I load of course and firecracking is what I see the most in my barrels.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #513
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwilliams View Post
Robert I might have missed it in the 509 post on this thread, but what kind of barrel life you expecting out of the carbon fiber chamber in say a 7 rem mag or 300 win mag?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Not expecting any noticeable difference if shot the same manner as an all steel barrel(Don't run hot and cool down between strings). Fire cracking will get them all eventually. One may cool faster than the other, but not fast enough to make a difference during an actual shot string. It just means one will be ready to shoot again sooner.
Stick1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #514
drwilliams
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Temple, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Not expecting any noticeable difference if shot the same manner as an all steel barrel(Don't run hot and cool down between strings). Fire cracking will get them all eventually. One may cool faster than the other, but not fast enough to make a difference during an actual shot string. It just means one will be ready to shoot again sooner.
Awesome thank you sir!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #515
DonBon
Ten Point
 
DonBon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dripping Springs
Hunt In: Cherokee, Old Mexico and New Mexico
Default

Have you had any experience with the 6.5 Sherman round. It looks like it might be a real contender.
DonBon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #516
PvillDVM
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Plainview
Hunt In: Paducah, Bronte
Default

Are you guys going to make the Dallas Safari Club?
PvillDVM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #517
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

I like the idea of the tier one in 28nosler
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #518
sleepymedic1
Ten Point
 
sleepymedic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bryan, Texas
Hunt In: Brazos/Robertson County/ Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
I like the idea of the tier one in 28nosler
Ditto
sleepymedic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #519
Highplainsmalla
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amarillo, TX
Hunt In: TX
Default

The tier 1 in 6.5 PRC is calling my name.
Highplainsmalla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #520
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplainsmalla View Post
The tier 1 in 6.5 PRC is calling my name.


Same here
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #521
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Update - Awaiting arrival of the very last barrel. Looks like it will deliver tomorrow since it did not make it today. We will chamber and test it ASAP. The plan is to have the TBH special up and running live by next Friday.
Stick1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #522
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Update - Awaiting arrival of the very last barrel. Looks like it will deliver tomorrow since it did not make it today. We will chamber and test it ASAP. The plan is to have the TBH special up and running live by next Friday.
Yall are closed mondays right? I hope to be without cell services from Wednesday to Saturday

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com