Red Light Camera Ticket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
    I got a ticket in North Richland Hills on Christmas Day following my inlaws to my BIL’s house. They also got a ticket. Rufe Snow Dr. and 820 frontage road. I was able to see the video online and three cars in a row got “flashed” as we stopped and turned right on red....

Can you even turn right on red without tripping these dang cameras? How can they not be “smart” enough to differentiate between a blatant straight-away red light runner and someone legally turning right on red?

I live in Tomball, so I have no plans to go back up to fight this ticket... I’m surprised some cities still haven’t voted out these cameras. Tomball included.
    Not worth your time to fight it. Paying or not paying it depends on your county tax assessor. Some counties will not allow you to renew your registration (on-line, mail or in person) until you pay the ticket. The former and current Tarrant county assessor do not require you to pay it if you renew in person or by mail. You cannot, however renew online. Also if you don't pay you will see the term "scofflaw" on your renewal notice. I asked the clerk how long that stays on there but she didn't know.....and yes, I'm labeled a scofflaw in the state of Texas.

Comment

Man, I know that light well!!! I've had 5 or 6 over the yrs there, East side by the Chipotle. Never paid a one of em.

Comment

I wouldn't pay it.

Comment

I read somewhere years ago that RL cameras were illegal in Tx.' unless they were installed before the date that they were made illegal, and then they couldn't be used after the contract date was up.

anyone know anything about this??

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
            I read somewhere years ago that RL cameras were illegal in Tx.' unless they were installed before the date that they were made illegal, and then they couldn't be used after the contract date was up.

anyone know anything about this??
            I don’t feel like spending an hour on google so here goes from memory, probably 12 or more years ago.

Cities started doing this as a revenue enhancement under the guise of safety. If I remember correctly there really not much state regulations for or against. Cities were just doing it under civil law by contracting with private companies and taking part of the fees while the company also makes a per citation profit.

After many complaints the state stepped in and said the current contracts were allowed to stand since there was no law against it at the time but all future contracts were illegal... UNLESS... the State of Texas was given a cut. In effect the state said this is absolutely illegal unless you include us in your profits.

Have they changed the law since then? I don’t know but the cameras were in fact made illegal... unless the city sent the state part of the profit.

Comment

My daughter got one the same day at the same intersection OP. According to Channel 11 story on October 28,2018 NRH didn’t conduct a study with an outside engineering firm prior to or after installing cameras and this makes the Violation unenforceable. I’m going to “court” in feb to contest it. I’m not paying it even if I “lose”.

Comment

If I sent you a letter demanding $75 with a dash cam video from my personal car would you pay it?

Comment

According to a guy or two on a different thread you should just pay it and move on. Teach your kids logic and common sense. Pay the extortion if it's cheaper than fighting it...

LOL

Comment

they are legal in texas but the state set a cap at $75 and late fee at $25. the cities are shortening the yellow lights to catch extra people and allowing citations to go out to right turn offenders also.

Sec. 707.003. INSTALLATION AND OPERATION OF PHOTOGRAPHIC TRAFFIC SIGNAL ENFORCEMENT SYSTEM. (a) A local authority that implements a photographic traffic signal enforcement system under this chapter may:
                    (1) contract for the administration and enforcement of the system; and
                    (2) install and operate the system or contract for the installation or operation of the system.
                    (b) A local authority that contracts for the administration and enforcement of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system may not agree to pay the contractor a specified percentage of, or dollar amount from, each civil penalty collected.
                    (c) Before installing a photographic traffic signal enforcement system at an intersection approach, the local authority shall conduct a traffic engineering study of the approach to determine whether, in addition to or as an alternative to the system, a design change to the approach or a change in the signalization of the intersection is likely to reduce the number of red light violations at the intersection.
                    (d) An intersection approach must be selected for the installation of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system based on traffic volume, the history of accidents at the approach, the number or frequency of red light violations at the intersection, and similar traffic engineering and safety criteria, without regard to the ethnic or socioeconomic characteristics of the area in which the approach is located.
                    (e) A local authority shall report results of the traffic engineering study required by Subsection (c) to a citizen advisory committee consisting of one person appointed by each member of the governing body of the local authority. The committee shall advise the local authority on the installation and operation of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system established under this chapter.
                    (f) A local authority may not impose a civil penalty under this chapter on the owner of a motor vehicle if the local authority violates Subsection (b) or (c).
                    (g) The local authority shall install signs along each roadway that leads to an intersection at which a photographic traffic signal enforcement system is in active use. The signs must be at least 100 feet from the intersection or located according to standards established in the manual adopted by the Texas Transportation Commission under Section 544.001, be easily readable to any operator approaching the intersection, and clearly indicate the presence of a photographic monitoring system that records violations that may result in the issuance of a notice of violation and the imposition of a monetary penalty.
                    (h) A local authority or the person with which the local authority contracts for the administration and enforcement of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system may not provide information about a civil penalty imposed under this chapter to a credit bureau, as defined by Section 392.001, Finance Code.

Comment

So, can they actually prevent registration of your vehicle (in another county) if you NEVER pay their fine?

Comment

It is a civil violation, not a criminal one. Therefore it will not go on your record.

Don't pay it.........................................

Comment

That's the one thing voters in Harris County actually got right. Voted those red light cameras out. Mayer porker and the Houston city council tried to block it after the vote, but eventually gave up. Crazy thing is, the City council was mad because they had just signed a multi-year agreement with the camera monitoring company and were going to have to pay a hefty cancellation fee.

Safety issue, nope, just BS. Nothing but a money grab disguised as a safety measure. There's even been numerous studies that have shown red light cameras don't really cut down on accidents.

Comment

I thought they were outlawed due to faulty pictures like this??

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                              Find out how much the fine is, get the cash, lay it out on the table, take a pic of it and send that in!!!
                              Lol

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                                I got a ticket in North Richland Hills on Christmas Day following my inlaws to my BIL’s house. They also got a ticket. Rufe Snow Dr. and 820 frontage road. I was able to see the video online and three cars in a row got “flashed” as we stopped and turned right on red....

Can you even turn right on red without tripping these dang cameras? How can they not be “smart” enough to differentiate between a blatant straight-away red light runner and someone legally turning right on red?

I live in Tomball, so I have no plans to go back up to fight this ticket... I’m surprised some cities still haven’t voted out these cameras. Tomball included.

I went through that same light on the same day. And didn't get a ticket (no joke).

Was that you in front of me?

Comment

Working...
                                X