Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
    How’d it go out there today?

Good luck the rest of the hunt. I’m following along and I’ll be there week after next.
    Had a few cows run past me in the brush yesterday, but no shot opportunities, today was a bust. There is sign everywhere, but it is thick out here. So far, one hunter got a bull, and another shot a hog. One of the other groups said they shot a cow, but weren’t able to track it, only 3 drops of blood. One of the frustrating things about hunting public land is that some people don’t have any respect for other hunters. I was set up in my spot an hour prior to sunrise, and at 11am a guy just comes causally strolling by and says “sure is a lot of sign around “ well, no *****, what do you think I am here. The other group said they had 2 hunters follow them in this morning and they set up right across the draw from them. We are all out there for the same reason, and it sucks to have someone bust up your hunt after you put in work scouting.

It is an absolutely beautiful place, and I’ve seen some stud whitetail, I’ll be back out there in the morning and will update tomorrow night. Good luck to you next weekend!

Comment

That sucks, gotta go where they won’t

Comment

Good luck, I will be out there in 2 weeks as well.

Comment

Congrats.
          We hunted the last gun hunt and by then once you walked thru an area they never came back to a poop spot. We had weather like last week north wind all the time swirling and rain about half the time an the temp below 40 for most of the time.
          Like a lot of people I set like I would for deer hunting but it is different. I set several times where I could see long distances but no animals but some good deer. People I talked with found a good sport built a ground blind and set for the day.

What we found was if you walked thru an area the tendency was for the animals not to come back by. I walked in and set up and 10 minutes later got a big cow at 180 yards. The 10 plus swirling wind screwed up a lot of our hunt. I saw 7 animals if you count thre running across the big salt flat at about 400 yards.

If I went back I would walk in and look at that 300-400 yard strip next to the high fenced ranch to the left when you come in. ESP if you were bow hunting. The head ranger said when it was cleared that was for years where people killed a lot of animals. It is thick In some areas but I doubt that many have been in there in years. BUT it is one of those areas that might be a honey hole with no people hunting it. If you walked an area and they did not come back and it didnot help with some of the guys on our hunt wondering around on the back fire lanes.

I had one other shot in that area and it was a cow with a small calf after I had my cow down.

Their maps suck and out of date. A lot depends on what fire lanes they mowed and how much traffic the areas had. Figure all the hunts and probably several hundred people were down on the 4000 acres.

I looked a lot of the property on one of the hunting programs and knew it pretty well but it looks different on the ground vs even a current info. Like I said I would look at the 300 yard strip to see what was in it. Hopefully if you go you will not have cold weather and 10 plus swirling wind and rain. If early I would look at the fields if you come in but by the time we were there it was all plowed and ready to plant.

Good luck to all that got a draw and here is to next year for the rest of us.

Comment

Made it back home, final total that I know of is 3 bulls and one cow. Two of the bulls were taken the last evening, I went home empty handed, but had a great week. And as a bonus, stopped in Louisiana and filled my coolers with crawfish and andouille. Good luck to everyone this weekend, stay safe!

Comment

Well guys. A minor miracle happened today. Even though my son and I sent gps pins to at least 4 different people none were able to find the knife my son lost when we were down there. C-dubyah was scouting today for his hunt and my son sent a pin location to him and it was right there where the gps led him. The knife belonged to my dad and my son was pretty bummed about losing it. I can’t thank everyone enough for the many offers to look. Some were not even hunting but went out anyway to look. Your kindness and willingness to help was very much appreciated and I can’t express my gratitude enough. I had lost hope and given up and told several that asked if they could help that it’s already been tried with no luck. Thankfully C-dubyah reached out to my son who had not given up. C-dubyah I hope God blesses you with a big nilgai this week. You certainly blessed us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                Well guys. A minor miracle happened today. Even though my son and I sent gps pins to at least 4 different people none were able to find the knife my son lost when we were down there. C-dubyah was scouting today for his hunt and my son sent a pin location to him and it was right there where the gps led him. The knife belonged to my dad and my son was pretty bummed about losing it. I can’t thank everyone enough for the many offers to look. Some were not even hunting but went out anyway to look. Your kindness and willingness to help was very much appreciated and I can’t express my gratitude enough. I had lost hope and given up and told several that asked if they could help that it’s already been tried with no luck. Thankfully C-dubyah reached out to my son who had not given up. C-dubyah I hope God blesses you with a big nilgai this week. You certainly blessed us.
                That is awesome!! Felt so bad I couldn’t locate it for you guys, but super awesome someone did!

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                  Yes sir, I understand sentimental items and would hope someone would do the same for me. I'm happy to have found it and look forward to returning it to you. God bless.

Comment

Also, Rounder on here was with me and looking too.

Comment

Great Job for those that were looking and the one that found it. This kid and family will never forget how it was found and who found it. Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                        Also, Rounder on here was with me and looking too.

Thanks to the both of y’all. And thanks for those who put in the time to look as well. For y’all to take the time out of y’alls already too short of a hunt to look for my knife means a lot. I hope one day I can some how return the favor to y’all.
                        Thanks again words can not describe how happy I am to able have that knife back in my possession

Comment

Glad the sentimental item was found and hope c-dibyah gets blessed with a harvest for his kind act

Comment

Thought it was a cow and ended up being a young bull but it’s my first public land nilgai so I’ll take it. Hopefully I can upgrade tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well done Gents!

And congrats on the tender meat, Rounder.

Comment

Congrats Rounder, you deserve it. You put in the work, effort and patience.

Comment

Working...
                                X