LRGV Schaleben Tract - Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOW BANDIT View Post
    Sure will, It should be the start of pre rut during the days that we will be hunting.

So how did the scouting and hunt go last week?

Comment

Originally posted by NatureRules View Post
      So how did the scouting and hunt go last week?
      That Track is by far the hardest one to hunt in South Texas. There are lots of animals there and we had plenty of chances at small animals and even Nilgai. One of my friends took out a small buck. another one blew a chance at a Nilgai at 20 yards when he drew and the bull herd the draw. I had does and yearlings all over.
      Tha place has some factors that make the hunt difficult, Only 2 parking areas, one on the SE corner and another one in the NE corner. they both enter the same sendero that runs N/S along a High Fence, The refuge manager failed to mow sendero and it makes for a rough and long walk, Most of the good areas are in the center of the refuge so it will take most 40 Minutes to get to those spots by foot. there is a nice open pipeline in the south and a caliche road running E/W just south of the private property, lots of nilgai there. The place is infested with Chiggers and ticks. a Bike might work to get in and out quicker but pulling a game cart thru there is dificult.
      The setup that worked the best was a camo net held up with some electric fence poles set up under an ebony tree with plenty of backround and above head cover. I have some points on google maps that I can share if any one wants them.

Comment

That Track is by far the hardest one to hunt in South Texas. There are lots of animals there and we had plenty of chances at small animals and even Nilgai. One of my friends took out a small buck. another one blew a chance at a Nilgai at 20 yards when he drew and the bull herd the draw. I had does and yearlings all over.
        Tha place has some factors that make the hunt difficult, Only 2 parking areas, one on the SE corner and another one in the NE corner. they both enter the same sendero that runs N/S along a High Fence, The refuge manager failed to mow sendero and it makes for a rough and long walk, Most of the good areas are in the center of the refuge so it will take most 40 Minutes to get to those spots by foot. there is a nice open pipeline in the south and a caliche road running E/W just south of the private property, lots of nilgai there. The place is infested with Chiggers and ticks. a Bike might work to get in and out quicker but pulling a game cart thru there is dificult.
        The setup that worked the best was a camo net held up with some electric fence poles set up under an ebony tree with plenty of backround and above head cover. I have some points on google maps that I can share if any one wants them.

Glad to hear that your group was able to get something on the ground and had other opportunities as well. I hope the luck continues for the weekend hunt on Jan 5th.

Comment

On my hunt there last year the federal game warden I spoke to said we could park at the La Sal Del Ray parking lot on the west side and I did that the last couple of days of my hunt. It was closer to where I was setting up and I wasn't having to walk past or have the other hunters walk past me so guessing that would still be an option.
          Last edited by Rounder; 12-23-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X